PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Penta to Merc prop shaft conversion

Conquistador_del_mar
04-20-2011, 03:08 AM
Have any of you guys seen these Volvo Penta 280 outdrive prop shafts? I had totally forgotten about them until tonight. I went out to my storage area to see if I had a zinc ring for the 280 outdrive I was about to paint when I ran across an old 280 lower foot with a broken gear set. When I saw the prop shaft, I remembered that they used to be available - maybe it is still available? It is the 1" standard Bravo or TRS splined prop shaft for older Volvo Penta drives - in this case a 280. It sure opens up the possible props that can be used on an older Volvo drive. After reading about the Solas prop thread, I thought I would mention this shaft that would make it easy to find the right prop. In the picture is the Merc shaft assembly sitting on the conventional 280 drive for comparison. I mounted a Hydromotive prop on it to make absolutely sure, and it fit perfectly. Maybe these are well known by some of you, but I didn't remember reading any thread where they were mentioned. Bill

maddad
04-20-2011, 03:24 AM
Bill, I used one in a 280 lower and ran a mirage+. The boat ran well with it but after a short time the shaft began to bend. Turned out they weren't made very well and all the guys who tried them had the same results.

MOP
04-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Properly heat treated they should be fine, You need to do a Rockwell hardness test to see what they are now. Compare that to a Merc shaft and bring it to that standard.

Phil

mrfixxall
04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
yep! what madd said,,they all bend,,heat treat them then they get brittle and brake..

Conquistador_del_mar
04-20-2011, 11:26 AM
I am more than a little bummed out after reading your comments. I was hoping to replace my conventional shaft with this one after finding it last night. The one I have was run on my Eliminator Daytona with around 550+HP before I bought the boat. If it turns out to be straight, maybe my friend had it heat treated or just got lucky. Do any of you know if they are still available or do any of you still use one? I actually thought I had found something fairly awesome - :bonk: Does anyone know who made them? I figure they were an aftermarket shaft that I vaguely remember being offered. Bill

mrfixxall
04-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I am more than a little bummed out after reading your comments. I was hoping to replace my conventional shaft with this one after finding it last night. The one I have was run on my Eliminator Daytona with around 550+HP before I bought the boat. If it turns out to be straight, maybe my friend had it heat treated or just got lucky. Do any of you know if they are still available or do any of you still use one? I actually thought I had found something fairly awesome - :bonk: Does anyone know who made them? I figure they were an aftermarket shaft that I vaguely remember being offered. Bill

here is the person that made the prop shaft..

http://bergeronmarineaz.com/

HallJ
04-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Better yet,

Have the Mercury prop broached for a Volvo.

Jeff

maddad
04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Better yet,

Have the Mercury prop broached for a Volvo.

Jeff

That's an idea. Another member here, Ralph Savarese, uses a Michigan wheel rehubbed for Volvo and his boat is fast and stable in any conditions.

Boatnuts
04-20-2011, 02:29 PM
I had a 280 shaft reworked to the Mercury size and spline more than 10 years ago for my brother's 18 barrelback. He has been running a 21 Mirage ever since with absolutely no problems.

HallJ
04-20-2011, 04:05 PM
How much is a Mirage?
A Solas is only $300. sounds a bit counter-productive.

Jeff

MOP
04-20-2011, 07:31 PM
yep! what madd said,,they all bend,,heat treat them then they get brittle and brake..

Guaranteed it was not done properly!

f_inscreenname
04-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Have one sitting on a shelf. Herd about the twisting and and out of roundness issues but was told mine was good for a BBC when I got it. Just never got around to installing it (my drive is good and I don't want to fool with it). I was just to about to do it during this year's spring refresh but went with a solas instead of the shaft.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-21-2011, 12:23 AM
went with a solas instead of the shaft.

:wink:

Do you know if the shafts are still available? How long ago did you buy yours? Bill

f_inscreenname
04-21-2011, 09:00 AM
I herd they are not anymore. Some company in the Midwest made them originally but has since long gone. I've had it a couple years.

penbroke
04-21-2011, 09:53 AM
I had heard somewhere that they were actually parts of a Volvo shaft and a Marc shaft welded together. If so, that might explain why they were unreliable. I have never seen one even though I owned one for a short time... :wink:

Frank

mrfixxall
04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Eddie marine and cp performance had the gut at the link i posted make the shafts and then sold them..I was told by Kenny at Eddie marine where they were made,they were made from scratch ss alloy..

f_inscreenname
04-21-2011, 10:03 PM
I had heard somewhere that they were actually parts of a Volvo shaft and a Marc shaft welded together. If so, that might explain why they were unreliable. I have never seen one even though I owned one for a short time... :wink:
Frank

Not an expert but it does not look welded.

HIGH LIFE
04-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Bill, Wait untill you see the shafts on the l/u I am sending . 15 spline. "HIGH LIFE"