PDA

View Full Version : Tire inflation for the brave!

gcarter
04-19-2011, 12:38 PM
It takes all kinds......

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=148&video_id=122

Walt. H.
04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
That's an old "How To" trick to inflate big tires especially when you don't have a center strap to expand the side walls.
Not for the faint of heart!:shocking:

zelatore
04-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah, old off-roader/farmer trick. I've seen it done but never pulled it off myself.

I actually tried it last week on a little 10" trailer wheel (trailer for a dinghy). The tire had come off the bead and I didn't have anything but a little 12v compressor to reinflate it. I didn't have anything suficiently flamable to get the 'pop' and ended up going to a tire shop where they re-seated it for free.

And I thought I was going to be soooo cool. :wink: Instead I just fizzeled. :bonk:

Walt. H.
04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
I have a wheel barrel tubeless tire that usually needs a tie-downstrap or clothline tourniquet placed arounf the tread diameter twisted with a rod to squash the bead to the rim when it comes time to inflate, which does make for a less dramatic finally.

Fishermanjm
04-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Don practice makes perfect. Carb clean. Not too much it
works well. I blew up many tires back on the beads on off-road
trips. I learned that on a jeep jamboree in Maine

zelatore
04-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Well heck, now I want to go pop a bead just to try it!

Ghost
04-19-2011, 08:46 PM
...I blew up many tires back on the beads on off-road trips...

As in 'inflated'? :wink:

zelatore
04-19-2011, 10:52 PM
As in 'inflated'? :wink:

It works however you read it....:kingme:

maddad
04-19-2011, 11:02 PM
I hope I get to do this one day.

gcarter
04-20-2011, 08:41 AM
If you listen to the video, there's air (gas) escaping after it seats......
Do you think they removed the valve out of the stem to protect against overpressure?
Just wondering.....

Fishermanjm
04-20-2011, 09:34 AM
the psi on the tire would be pretty high,,, i remember bringing the pressure down alot to get back to 18psi i was more concerned with the tire getting back on the bead first time and yes to the inflation part not blown up as in kaboom,,,, but it is a loud POP when its done

hdsadey
04-20-2011, 10:16 AM
I seen an idiot use too much ether one time, blew the rim inside the tire on a 44" super swamper bogger. After the third squirt around the rim the crowd started to back up, he stopped at five go arounds. Bout three too many lmao!

Tidbart
04-20-2011, 11:24 AM
I used to this often enough. Especially with the old VW bug tires. They were a bitch to mount sometimes because they had no sidewalls. Would pop em on and then continue filling with air to get to normal pressure. Always had the wheel fastened to the tire machine when we did this. Never had a problem.

B

Ghost
04-20-2011, 11:36 AM
If you listen to the video, there's air (gas) escaping after it seats......
Do you think they removed the valve out of the stem to protect against overpressure?
Just wondering.....

Now that you say it, I suppose that might not be a bad idea generally.

Sounds like overpressure is usually the result even when successful, so it will be wanting some bleed anyhow. And it's not like you can't put the valve back in with things inflated and some air rushing out of the stem. And the more relief you have in the system, the lower the chances of exploding it to begin with. Anybody ever do it this way?

mrfixxall
04-20-2011, 11:46 AM
I use either ;) .. down fall is it will suck the tire to one side and gyou have to be ready with the air or it will brake the bead again..

Tidbart
04-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Now that you say it, I suppose that might not be a bad idea generally.

Sounds like overpressure is usually the result even when successful, so it will be wanting some bleed anyhow. And it's not like you can't put the valve back in with things inflated and some air rushing out of the stem. And the more relief you have in the system, the lower the chances of exploding it to begin with. Anybody ever do it this way?

never came anywhere near over-pressurizing a tire. Too much volume, not enough air. Mainly, the technique was just used to seat the tire on the rim, not to fully inflate it.

Rootsy
04-20-2011, 12:56 PM
guilty...

farmer tx
04-20-2011, 11:42 PM
guilty...

JD 85% works best...:shocking: