PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Miss Donzi

inlander
04-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Another road trip seems to be in order and at this time, I'm about to embark on another Donzi search and as I value the opinions of the members of the Registry, I'm posting this thread to get any and all input. Looking at a 2001 Classic 18 (350) all original, with a purported 32.5 hours. Seller says it was a demo boat and has been mostly in storage. What is your opinion of the high/low price range of this boat? Seller says it is an 8 1/2, but with cleaning a 9 1/2. Seems awfully low hours, but not necessarily unheard of. I'm sure condition will speak volumes. Just curious about current values considering economy/summer season/hours on boat.

Ghost
04-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Perhaps off topic, but 32 hours in 10 years is so low it might concern me. Motors don't like to sit.

MOP
04-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Perhaps off topic, but 32 hours in 10 years is so low it might concern me. Motors don't like to sit.

+1 on that especially if it was stored improperly, if it was in long storage at a marina right by the water it can have rusty bores. I hate real low hours been in the biz to long!

zelatore
04-18-2011, 09:49 AM
+1 on that especially if it was stored improperly, if it was in long storage at a marina right by the water it can have rusty bores. I hate real low hours been in the biz to long!

Make that +2

Earlier this year I had a customer who wanted to repower his boat with a pair of 'new, rebuilt' 454 Crusaders that had been purchased then stored, still in the shipping plastic, for 5 or 6 years. I cautioned him not to run out and buy those motors without a close inspection as I had strong doubts about them.

After pulling the plugs and soaking with WD40, one still wouldn't even turn over on the starter, the other had about 50 lbs compression on half the cylinders. It did however belch out some nasty/rusty looking crud from the exhaust when testing it.

Needless to say, those motors did not go in the boat.

inlander
04-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the input from the "go to guys.

Quick look at the bilge shows something mucky, and don't care much for the extra mooring cleats, especially the one mid-deck.

Here's a video link to the boat, whacha all think?

http://youtu.be/Wk50RD3SdRk

gcarter
04-18-2011, 01:28 PM
It looks like a nice boat to me.