PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Starting my Z33

VancouverMark
04-15-2011, 07:58 PM
My 1989 Z33 with 454's & Bravo 1's had trouble starting the starboard motor today.

Both motors always started great, the port fired right up today, but the starboard took over 20 mins of trying. It get sounding like it was going to fire, almost there, but no go. I could smell fuel, so I know it was electrical. I tried playing with all connections, thinking something rattled loose. The choke was engaging and there is lots of fuel.

Finally it fired. But it sounds like maybe it is intermitantly missing, almost slightly surging. It almost sounds like it is running on less than 8 cylinders and every second or so it kicks in and runs smooth, then back to miss, then smooth again.

When I rev it is is slow to respond and sounds kinda ruff. Where the port motor is responsive and smooth.

Any ideas?

Bad Coil? Plugs? Wires?

Thanks for the help.
:confused:

fogducker III
04-15-2011, 08:04 PM
If you don't have any luck finding the problem, call Alex Haxby of Haxby Speed in North Van. good guy.....tell him Jeremy sent you...:wink:

http://www.haxbyspeed.com/

mrfixxall
04-15-2011, 08:29 PM
My 1989 Z33 with 454's & Bravo 1's had trouble starting the starboard motor today.

Both motors always started great, the port fired right up today, but the starboard took over 20 mins of trying. It get sounding like it was going to fire, almost there, but no go. I could smell fuel, so I know it was electrical. I tried playing with all connections, thinking something rattled loose. The choke was engaging and there is lots of fuel.

Finally it fired. But it sounds like maybe it is intermitantly missing, almost slightly surging. It almost sounds like it is running on less than 8 cylinders and every second or so it kicks in and runs smooth, then back to miss, then smooth again.

When I rev it is is slow to respond and sounds kinda ruff. Where the port motor is responsive and smooth.

Any ideas?

Bad Coil? Plugs? Wires?

Thanks for the help.

replace the hall effect in the distributor. then check all the grounds so you dont burn up another one..

http://www.iboats.com/Ignition-Sensor-Sierra/dm/cart_id.103496847--session_id.784228566--view_id.174995

VancouverMark
04-15-2011, 09:38 PM
replace the hall effect in the distributor. then check all the grounds so you dont burn up another one..

http://www.iboats.com/Ignition-Sensor-Sierra/dm/cart_id.103496847--session_id.784228566--view_id.174995

That is the piece that plugs in to the back of the distributer?

joseph m. hahnl
04-15-2011, 09:39 PM

Any ideas?

Bad Coil? Plugs? Wires?

Thanks for the help.

Ruptured fuel pump Diaphragm . Pull the dip stick check the level and see if it smells like gas. Pull the spark arrestor off and check to see if the fuel pump's dump by pass hose is leaking fuel into the carburetor. Also if you can smell fuel in the oil / dip stick.The oil will be thin and over full.
Do use ethanol up there in Vancouver?

VancouverMark
04-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Ruptured fuel pump Diaphragm . Pull the dip stick check the level and see if it smells like gas. Pull the spark arrestor off and check to see if the fuel pump's dump by pass hose is leaking fuel into the carburetor. Also if you can smell fuel in the oil / dip stick.The oil will be thin and over full.
Do use ethanol up there in Vancouver?

No fuel in the oil, its black and thick and the right level. I just replaced the dump bypass hoses on both with clear and there is nothing in them.
To me I am thinking electrical, because when it does run smooth for a second, it is so ....off & on.

mrfixxall
04-15-2011, 10:09 PM
No fuel in the oil, its black and thick and the right level. I just replaced the dump bypass hoses on both with clear and there is nothing in them.
To me I am thinking electrical, because when it does run smooth for a second, it is so ....off & on.

before changing the hall effect check the wires at the ignition switch,,they may be loose,,you may want to go over all the wireing in the boat first,,rab a screwdriver and tighten all the electrical screws you see..
oldder boats need to be gone over from time to time..

VancouverMark
04-15-2011, 10:13 PM
before changing the hall effect check the wires at the ignition switch,,they may be loose,,you may want to go over all the wireing in the boat first,,rab a screwdriver and tighten all the electrical screws you see..
oldder boats need to be gone over from time to time..

I'll try that, where is the ignition switch?

Phil S
04-15-2011, 10:35 PM
There has to be a language barrier going on here. :shocking:

VancouverMark
04-15-2011, 11:21 PM
There has to be a language barrier going on here. :shocking:

Not on my end.

MOP
04-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Very rare for a carb to be intermittent, IMO it is electric sounds more like wires/plugs. Pull the plugs that is always the first place to start, if it is a carb issue it will show on the plugs. If it is wires it will only affects a few cylinders fewer plugs will be funked, pull them keep them in sequence and shoot some photos and post them. They are the best indicator of what is going on!

VancouverMark
04-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Ok, today I will try and pull the plugs - I got a feeling thats going to be a bugger of a job !

I will check all the connections, again. They all seemed tight before, but another once over can't hurt.

Maybe I should change the cap & rotor as well? I think the coil is fine. Coils seem to either work or not work, there is no in between...correct?

If all that fails, I'll replace the Hall Effect in the distributer.

Anything else I can look at? I'm convinced its electrical and not fuel.

iznod33
04-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Ok, today I will try and pull the plugs - I got a feeling thats going to be a bugger of a job !

I will check all the connections, again. They all seemed tight before, but another once over can't hurt.

Maybe I should change the cap & rotor as well? I think the coil is fine. Coils seem to either work or not work, there is no in between...correct?

If all that fails, I'll replace the Hall Effect in the distributer.

Anything else I can look at? I'm convinced its electrical and not fuel.

Try swaping out the H/E with the other side to see if that works.

mrfixxall
04-16-2011, 11:37 AM
i had rammanns baja last year doing the same thing,,i turned out to be the alternator dropping cylinders,,it was putting out AC voltage and making the engine misfire.... the ignition wire is behind the key switch..

VancouverMark
04-16-2011, 01:35 PM
The alternator on the motor is reading low in the gauge......9-10 volts where my other is 12+

Conquistador_del_mar
04-17-2011, 01:22 AM
The alternator on the motor is reading low in the gauge......9-10 volts where my other is 12+

Bingo - too low a voltage will effect the spark components. Bill

Rumblefish
04-17-2011, 06:56 AM
Bingo - too low a voltage will effect the spark components. Bill

Yes voltage lower than 10.5 disrupts trigger output signal

MOP
04-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Ah looks like the culprit has been found, depending on how much bad running time you may still want to pull the plugs they may be munged up a bit.

VancouverMark
04-17-2011, 09:54 AM
So does that mean a coil is bad? Because when she is turning over, I have a lot of battery power. Would the battery power not fire her up? I always thought the alternator came into effect once it was running....

mrfixxall
04-17-2011, 01:13 PM
So does that mean a coil is bad? Because when she is turning over, I have a lot of battery power. Would the battery power not fire her up? I always thought the alternator came into effect once it was running....

on those older boat the alternator wires go through the key switch to yurn it on once its running.....check the wires at the back of the kry switch on that engine.. if the wires are tight and the problem still persists then replace te alternator,,it has to be a minimum of 12.8 -13.2 volts when running..

VancouverMark
04-17-2011, 01:42 PM
on those older boat the alternator wires go through the key switch to yurn it on once its running.....check the wires at the back of the kry switch on that engine.. if the wires are tight and the problem still persists then replace te alternator,,it has to be a minimum of 12.8 -13.2 volts when running..

aaaahhhhhhh:beer: