PDA

View Full Version : Latham Steering

VetteLT193
04-15-2011, 10:08 AM
My Latham steering is tough around the docks @ idle. It's also making this noise, running 1000 RPMs, while turning back and forth on the wheel.

normal? thoughts, ideas?

Sorry for the sideways picture, taken from my phone, and it's a bit shaky because of course steering back and forth rocks the boat quite a bit.

And don't mind the mess... was just running it to the trailer so I can get it cleaned up and maintenance done :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvafNLZL5DQ

Pismo
04-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Belt tight and dry?, plenty of fluid? No water in the fluid/system?

gcarter
04-15-2011, 12:56 PM
That's the relief valve opening.
Your car will do the same thing at lock.
Or it could be the vane pump (Saginaw is a vane pump) and it's noisy because of the low speed and the load it's seeing.

mrfixxall
04-15-2011, 01:44 PM
where is the return fluid hose going to? with the pressure its putting out that noise may be the fluid hitting the side of the canister,,kinda like a pressure washer doing its job..

larry9901
04-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Hello Vette,

This is Larry, the guy that bought your 22 that also had the "tough steering" that everyone thought was normal and couldn't figure out it was not working correctly.

On your old one, or my new one it was just the power steering pump failed.

Try a new pump, they internally shear and will look perfectly fine but not work as intended.

The 22 I bought off you does run 80+ straight as an arrow with ease using one hand with the latham. And putzing around docks can be done with ease using one hand.

Give it a try, let us know what happens.

Larry