PDA

View Full Version : Mold

VetteLT193
04-15-2011, 09:08 AM
I just picked up my boat to do a cleanup and the regular maintenance and I have a cushion with mold on the bottom.

I saw a ship shape TV episode that featured a product called "RAMMO" a while back.... I went to buy some, but did some searching first, and they seem like a shady company.

so... what do you use for mold? It sounds like some combo of vinegar, lemon juice, and water is all RAMMO is but I can't find the proportions anywhere.

Anything better? I need it for the bottom side of that cushion (mesh and foam). and the anchor locker, under seat locker. no big deal areas really. I could do it the old fashioned way (scrubbing) but the idea of putting something on that would also prohibit future growth sure intrigues me!

DonziJon
04-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Try Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser". It did wonders for my 25 year old cushions. I have NO Clue How or Why it works, but it does. :yes: DJ

Rumblefish
04-15-2011, 09:30 AM
I just picked up my boat to do a cleanup and the regular maintenance and I have a cushion with mold on the bottom.

I saw a ship shape TV episode that featured a product called "RAMMO" a while back.... I went to buy some, but did some searching first, and they seem like a shady company.

so... what do you use for mold? It sounds like some combo of vinegar, lemon juice, and water is all RAMMO is but I can't find the proportions anywhere.

Anything better? I need it for the bottom side of that cushion (mesh and foam). and the anchor locker, under seat locker. no big deal areas really. I could do it the old fashioned way (scrubbing) but the idea of putting something on that would also prohibit future growth sure intrigues me!

Been there..

Mr clean has magic erasers that are great on seats.. Also outdoor Clorox clean for the under hatches and black dotted mold..

Then just hit everything with protectant and wax with PTEF and your set.

For future growth..One tip that works for me because one of my boats sits on the hoist year round is I have a 10 watt light under the boat cover that comes on at 10pm and turns off at 10am..

That small light takes all the moisture out of the boat and prevents mold build up. also protects against freeze.

VetteLT193
04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
I agree with magic erasers on top of the seats. They also do wonders on the white rub rail.

Someone a year or two ago commented that they bought a huge pack direct shipped from China off of eBay... so I did that too. They are irregular size (i can't tell though), super cheap, and work exactly like the name brand!

The bottom of the rear seat in my boat is mesh so water drains through. the problem is, I have to spray something on that that is safe and helpful. a magic eraser just won't work on it.

I'd also love for something to prevent future mold. The storage under the rear seat is the biggest issue. 2nd biggest is the anchor locker.

DonziJon
04-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Just ran across this product being raved about on another site. I havn't heard of it but the guy was VERY impressed with how it cleaned his cockpit canvas. :yes: DJ

http://www.iosso.com/MivaStore/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code=0003&Category_Code=Household

blackboat
04-18-2011, 03:25 PM
50/50 mix of bleach and water in a spray bottle,try a small spot first.

Bamboo Loui
04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I called the manufacturer of my pontoon boat--it is now 11 yars old. they recommended a 30/70 blend of bleach and water --- I KNOW IT--- they said Bleach!!!!! but in truth- everything has held up just fine. the only thing that has scewed up or interior was us when we pressure washed it.

I do not have a single stitch coming apart--OK--it is only 11 years old--bt still-- no problems using bleach--AND- we only had to do it once- the mold died.

bertsboat
04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Best stuff money can buy, Get it at your auto parts store.
Comes in a 2.5 gal size. Works GREAT. I have been using it for over 10 years. Use it on your seats and scrub but don't let it sit. I have never had a problem and I have three or four spray bottles sitting around here at all times.
Trust me, the best soap. About $12.00 for 2.5 GALS

mike o
04-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Mold is an organic organism. Bleach is a free radical (chlorine) that kills the organism, but attacks everything else like pigments. 50-50 sounds a tad high unless you only let it stay on a few minutes. 30-70 sounds better or less and just do it twice. Just make sure you rinse heavily after, which ever concentration you try.

Buddyc
04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Bleach is the key. We use it when working in homes that had mold damage. Black mold esp. 60-40 should work great. Just rinse well after each application.

silverghost
04-18-2011, 06:21 PM
I have had good luck with Chlorox bathroom cleaner in a spray bottle.
You can use another spray bottle to water-down the strength & concentration of these products.

Marine Stores (West, Overtons etc.) also carry Dura-Last/Shine Vinyl Cleaner and their other second product~~~
Dura-Last/Shine Protectant which fends off future mold .

I use a very soft scrubbing brush with these products.
Wear rubber gloves.
Rince several times with fresh water after using these above products .
~~~
Also try to keep these cleaners way from any thread stitching.
The thread is your weak link here I believe. You can hardly hurt the Vinyl itself.

gcarter
04-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Something to think about when you put it away again.....
If you have room in the garage or the attic, store them there. Then, on a regular basis, use one of those ozone generating room air filters/deodorizers for a day or so maybe once a month or so.
It won't happen again. Not hard on the material either.