PDA

View Full Version : Shift cable and gimble bearing

brwn234
04-14-2011, 12:00 AM
So I've finally built up the courage to replace my shift cable myself. While I'm there I've decided I'm going to do my gimble bearing and drive shaft bellows since I've had the boat 4 years and don't know when it was last done. I have the Merc Manuals but I still have some questions.

How do I know which cable to buy? I can't find any part numbers. I've see kits that include the belows and clamps but I want to buy the right one.

If I replace the gimble bearing do I have to buy an alignment tool even if the engine is aligned when I remove the old one?

I know I'll need Merc Bellows Adhesive but are there any other tools or Merc specific items required? Can I adjust the cable without the adjustment tool?

I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. Thanks for your help

LKSD
04-14-2011, 05:56 AM
I offer the boot & cable kits. I can get you set up with what you need.

Yes you will want to align it because if you dont you may not get the drive back on, especially if you replace the bearing.

As far as tools you will need a large allen for the gimble pivot pins, otherwise you can buy a merc tool for it. Beyond that you will need the alignment tool and a bearing puller or slide hammer to get the old gimble bearing out. There are tools for other stuff too, but you can usually work thru the rest with good regular assortment of hand tools.

:) Jamie / Lakeside

gcarter
04-14-2011, 06:06 AM
As far as I can tell, there's only one for your boat,
Here's the Doug Russel page on it;
http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/components/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewparts&colid=04&coldesc=BRAVO%20ONE%20%28ALL%20RATIOS%29&index=5398&block=60&BlockNumberList=90,50,10,100,120,150,140,170,160,7 0,40,230,80,210,200,240,0,250,220,190,260,280,300, 290,270,30,20,60,180,110,130

If you study your manuals, you'll be OK.

MOP
04-14-2011, 06:24 AM
It is all standard grab the kit from Jamie then you know you have all the right stuff.

gcarter
04-14-2011, 06:39 AM
Yes, buy it from Jamie.
I posted the microfiche page so you could see where the numbers are located.

Planetwarmer
04-14-2011, 01:44 PM
The gimble bearing can be pulled with ease. I rented a slide hammer and a pulley puller from oreilly. I turned the 3 claws facing outwards and held them together with a rubber band. I inserted the claws through the hole of the bearing, turned the center screw until the claws grabbed the center of the bearing. It pulled out very easily.

Installing the bearing: I bought a 2 foot piece of PVC that was the size of the outside of the bearing housing as to not damage the bearing. I also got a PVC cap so I could hammer directly in the center. Worked like a charm.

BEFORE you install the bearing, make sure the collar around the bearing has the opening pointed toward the top so that you can get grease to the bearing through the grease zert on the top of the (brain fart, cant remember name) thingy that holds the damn drive on the transom!!!!.

joseph m. hahnl
04-14-2011, 02:26 PM
So I've finally built up the courage to replace my shift cable myself. While I'm there I've decided I'm going to do my gimble bearing and drive shaft bellows since I've had the boat 4 years and don't know when it was last done. I have the Merc Manuals but I still have some questions.

How do I know which cable to buy? I can't find any part numbers. I've see kits that include the belows and clamps but I want to buy the right one.

If I replace the gimble bearing do I have to buy an alignment tool even if the engine is aligned when I remove the old one?

I know I'll need Merc Bellows Adhesive but are there any other tools or Merc specific items required? Can I adjust the cable without the adjustment tool?

I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. Thanks for your help

The Alpha drive has a special long socket that you need to remove the shift cable from the lower unit

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/mjoDp85zKEQbObi-lGzmZIA/140.jpg (http://www.donzi.net/forums/#)
Shift Cable Tool For Mercruiser Alpha One 91-12037 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Shift-Cable-Tool-Mercruiser-Alpha-One-91-12037-/130507523009?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item1e62dac3c1)

MOP
04-15-2011, 12:50 PM
If you can't get your hands on the tool to put the bearing back in you can take a piece of PVC pipe about 18" long the size of the outer race and drive it in. It is very important to make sure it is going in straight, it is easy to gall the bore.

Phil

gcarter
04-15-2011, 01:00 PM
I won't tell you what I've put them in with before.
But as long as your driver is square w/the outer race and you're careful, it's OK.