PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk smooth shifting!

younger
04-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Tested this mod on the bh drive over the last season. What I have done is created a resivior of oil in the shift chamber. I fill it with hi perf merc gear oil. So the shift slider and drive shift mechanism all rides in gear oil. I have found that the oil lubes the cable as well. In the pic there are two holes dlilled and taped with drive oil plugs. One is used to pump oil in the other a fill vent.

Just Say N20
04-13-2011, 03:38 PM
A little better.

younger
04-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks! My 9 yr old usually takes the pics and he was at school so I struggled through. I was getting the boat ready for the season and was filling and checking and thought this mod may be of interest. The same can be done with a bravo but the plugs would be in the rear shift cover.

glashole
04-13-2011, 04:01 PM
did you notice much of a difference over the stock set up?

younger
04-13-2011, 04:18 PM
As you know shifting the bh can be a bugger. Just made everything feel a little smoother. In my case reduced the stiffness.

CHACHI
04-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Just made everything feel a little smoother. In my case reduced the stiffness.

Is Loretta aware of this?

Ken

younger
04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Loretta loves smooth shifting!!

Phil S
04-14-2011, 12:11 AM
did you notice much of a difference over the stock set up?

I don't know Loretta, but this is still a relevant question... :wink::shocking:

frclarke
04-14-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm looking forward to meeting you, seeing and learning from your work. I've got a 22 under renovation. My bravo hi perf drive has a shorty on it with some internal work. Steve from sterndrive connections in Orrillia did the work. He's told me, if I don't play nice, I'll still break it.

The motor is a Procharged 540. Any mods that toughen it up, within my finances, will be useful.
Fred

younger
04-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Looks like I will be at the Muskoka run. It will be a delight to meet! I can always chine wag with someone with common interests. Sounds like you have a runner.

craigdskilling
04-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Hey younger don't count me out. I just pulled the boat out today and started it up.the blackhawk is going on.so please let me now when we can get together.lets wake up the muskokas.:)

younger
04-16-2011, 07:45 AM
I hope to go boating tuesday on Lake Ont. St. Lawerance river if it is not raining. I always start wearing my flip flops when the boat is ready, and that means the boating season is under way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Get that blackhawk on and lets get started!

MDonziM
04-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm looking forward to meeting you, seeing and learning from your work. I've got a 22 under renovation. My bravo hi perf drive has a shorty on it with some internal work. Steve from sterndrive connections in Orrillia did the work. He's told me, if I don't play nice, I'll still break it.

The motor is a Procharged 540. Any mods that toughen it up, within my finances, will be useful.
Fred

Wow Fred, that sounds like a powerplant. How much boost are you running and what hp are you expecting?

- Marshall

MDonziM
04-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Hey younger don't count me out. I just pulled the boat out today and started it up.the blackhawk is going on.so please let me now when we can get together.lets wake up the muskokas.:)

What setup are you putting the bh behind?

MOP
04-16-2011, 10:11 AM
What setup are you putting the bh behind?

Dang I hope it is in front!

MDonziM
04-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Yes Phil, the motor goes in front and the drive behind.

craigdskilling
04-16-2011, 11:37 AM
The bh is going into a 18 classic with a new 383 stoker pushing 425hp. the motor is out and the bravo housing is on need to order a sea pump and a gasket and will be ready to go.taking the alpha off went well and the transem is in great shape along with the stringers.I'm running 27 bh props.

MDonziM
04-16-2011, 11:52 AM
The bh is going into a 18 classic with a new 383 stoker pushing 425hp. the motor is out and the bravo housing is on need to order a sea pump and a gasket and will be ready to go.taking the alpha off went well and the transem is in great shape along with the stringers.I'm running 27 bh props.

Cool, I thought I remembered it was an 18 but was not sure. That should be fun. I wonder what the x-dim is on your alpha cutout vs the "standard" bravo.

- Marshall