PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong With This Picture?

Carl C
04-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Is Powerboat Magazine really this broke? :eek:
(yeah, that's a Nor-Tech. Prolly $400,000)

mrfixxall
04-13-2011, 09:24 AM

ummmmm maybe the guy in the front plastered to the center council lol

maddad
04-13-2011, 10:14 AM
They spent more money on fuel than life jackets for the photo shoot?

Carl C
04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Wal-Mart specials lol

roadtrip se
04-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Unfortunately, I still see some of this at the rallies we attend every year, so our community is not exempt from the criticism. Spend thousands upon thousands on modifying your Donzi bling or performance and then put on a neoprene ski or old orangey life vest to go run it. Leaves me scratching my head every time I see it.

Ghost
04-13-2011, 03:20 PM

Yes, it looks like someone put them all in a big orange stockade.

Inferno
04-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Thats a big liability for Powerboat magazine. Someone could have choked to death !!!!!:confused::confused:

maddad
04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Maybe the new CG regs are that you must tie everyone into a large orange bundle to help finding people?

Rumblefish
04-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Geeze.. I have the those.. In the packackage under the bow. Only for capacity reasons. Cant steer..can turn around. cant do much.. except not drown.

But I look great!!....:)

rchevelle71
04-14-2011, 07:40 AM
All of the above is true, but I do not believe lifelines are coast guard approved:confused: maybe they did this intentionally for liability reasons.

gcarter
04-14-2011, 08:13 AM
OK, so help me out......
Since I'll be buying a new set of PFD's this year, make me some reccomendations.
Mind you, my goals AREN'T 80 mph, or 75 for that matter.
I want something minimally intrusive and reasonably priced.

Rumblefish
04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
OK, so help me out......
Since I'll be buying a new set of PFD's this year, make me some reccomendations.

If where you Boat requires them for all ages and all the time while under way..

Driver and Passengers (auto inflate pfd)

Children under 6 years. Standard cg aproved with straps or epolutes behind the head.

Carl C
04-14-2011, 09:34 AM
OK, so help me out......

Anything but those generic orange things!
I have one yellow lifeline. I might be getting 2 more used yellow ones soon. I carry an assortment of high quality neoprenes which are designed for high speed impact but will not hold your head out of the water if you are knocked out.
Anyway those orange thingies belong in a canoe or pontoon and make those guys in the Nor-Tech look like a bunch of Bozos. I still laugh every time I look at that picture!

fogducker III
04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
OK, so help me out......

George, I have used the Mustang PFD for years, they are comfortable, they look OK, fair price and most importantly, they work!

The hydrostatic version is great, it will only inflate if it gets submerged, I beleive 4" underwater...? There are other models that inflate when they get wet, I found that out in a rain storm....:nilly:

I have been sent overboard wearing one of these, hit the water face first and before I new it, it inflated and flipped me over and I was looking skyward.....:yes:

All Mustang vests are Coast Guard approved, that is one problem I see with the Lifeline vests, they might be good but you still have to pack enough approved vests/jackets on board for everybody......

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational

BUIZILLA
04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
you can set off a Mustang vest just by unclipping the clasp..

I can assure you that's possible :kingme:

Carl C
04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
I get checked by the Coasties every year and they have always passed my Lifeline. They did mention once that the ski vests are not technically in compliance but they still passed me. The orange things might hold your head up but they are likely to get ripped off your body in even a moderate speed ejection. Therefore anything is better than that if running at anything above very low speeds and the Coasties know it. I'm sure they also like to see that my passengers and myself wear vests 99% of the time.

fogducker III
04-14-2011, 11:45 AM
you can set off a Mustang vest just by unclipping the clasp..

I can assure you that's possible :kingme:

How is that done...??:confused:

I have worn them for about 15 years and only had one inflate when it wasn't suppose to, and that was only because the particular model I was wearing was water activated and I was caught out in a BIG downpour....:bonk:

BUIZILLA
04-14-2011, 11:55 AM
i'm sure Weasel will be along shortly with a pic... :shocking:

Carl C
04-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Now that would have to scare the hell out of you!:shocking:

BUIZILLA
04-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Now that would have to scare the hell out of you!:shocking: no, but controlled breathing after it inflates is under-rated...

Carl C
04-14-2011, 04:14 PM
More!!!:bonk:
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8473/miamiboatshow352.jpg (http://img62.imageshack.us/i/miamiboatshow352.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/8097/miamiboatshow351.jpg
By yippydippydoodle (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/yippydippydoodle) at 2011-04-14

fogducker III
04-14-2011, 04:34 PM
All I can say is at least they are wearing them......I see WAY too many people, especially kids not wearing any PFD on the water.....in my mind, at least around here in the ocean, it is nuts NOT to wear one if you are on a small boat....:yes:

The Hedgehog
04-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Extra safety for locks!:pimp:

Me, I love the orange kapoc (or however the hell you spell it)

VetteLT193
04-15-2011, 09:04 AM
All I can say is at least they are wearing them......I see WAY too many people, especially kids not wearing any PFD on the water.....in my mind, at least around here in the ocean, it is nuts NOT to wear one if you are on a small boat....:yes:

Heat is a far greater safety issue in my experience and putting a kid in a life jacket makes them even hotter.

It's one thing while up and running, but in many (if not all) areas, it is mandatory to have kids in life jackets all the time which is ridiculous. there is a common sense factor that should be decided by a parent, not a law.

zelatore
04-15-2011, 12:00 PM
there is a common sense factor that should be decided by a parent, not a law.

Well now you've gone and done it.

I'd tend to agree-you probably don't need to have your kid in a life jacket just sitting on the hook in calm conditions with vigilant parents watching over them.

But.....

We all know just because somebody is capable of producing a child doesn't mean they are capable of raising it well. I'm sure all of us have some story about a parent who did something that we though was the height of stupidity even though they obviously didn't think so. (perhaps I should truncate that to 'obviously they didn't think')

Further, we are for the most part small boaters where it's easy to keep an eye on the kiddies. On larger boats they could easily be out of sight. On several of my customer's boats I've installed extra safety equipment like CCTVs to monitor the kids from the helm, or locks to make sure the kids couldn't open a hatch and go down from the flybridge without the parent opening the door for them. On a bigger boat, a kid (or anybody) could easily go over the side, even at anchor, without your knowledge if you weren't watching them.

So while I want to say 'let the parents decide' I can certainly understand the laws being the way they are.

Of course, I don't have any kids and rarely take them out on my boats so it's not a huge inconvenience for me personally.

Davidmnc
04-15-2011, 01:06 PM
My kids are older 13,14,15, and they know they always wear their PFD on the boat. Do I mke them wear them while we are on the hook, or hanging out in the marina. No, but when when they are swimming in deep water they do. It's just how they were raised, and not an issue. I can't say they like it, but they do it.

Ghost
04-15-2011, 01:19 PM
It's one thing while up and running, but in many (if not all) areas, it is mandatory to have kids in life jackets all the time which is ridiculous. there is a common sense factor that should be decided by a parent, not a law.

I'll go a half step further. It should be up to the parents, period. Whether a PFD is needed depends on many factors and will be subjective regardless. Stapling a law to it will always be an ill-fitting one-size for all. Like so many things, the legal cure and precedent here are far worse than the disease.

Frankly, forced "safety inspections" should be illegal to boot. No warrant, no search. Period.

I've been boating since I was 3. I wore a lifejacket as a little kid. I stopped when I could swim well. I've put one on a few times as an adult when it made sense. If I get it wrong, it's on me. If anyone thinks he can protect kids from bad parents, he's an idiot. All he'll do is impose problems on others.