PDA

View Full Version : sinlge bench hornet in NJ who bought it?

Christian
04-12-2011, 10:38 PM
who bought this rare sinlge bench in south NJ for $1000?

just spoke to the owner who stated he really didnt know what he had...should be ashamed of yourself to take advantage of someone.

Buddyc
04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Geeeze, If I knew it was right around the corner I would have bought it

Bigman99
04-13-2011, 07:47 AM
who bought this rare sinlge bench in south NJ for $1000?

just spoke to the owner who stated he really didnt know what he had...should be ashamed of yourself to take advantage of someone.

I'm confused. Are you saying you would have approached the owner, educated him about how rare his boat is and then paid the man many thousands more than he was asking or prepared to take? Interesting position to take. Were you interested in this boat? Sour grapes?

This is the most judgmental forum I have ever been a part of.

Good luck to the new owner.

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm confused. Are you saying you would have approached the owner, educated him about how rare his boat is and then paid the man many thousands more than he was asking or prepared to take? Interesting position to take. Were you interested in this boat?

Seems unlikely doesnt it?

Go on Offshoreonly someday

Ditto and congrats

Parnell

mrfixxall
04-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Geeeze, If I knew it was right around the corner I would have bought it

Buddy,,remember me wireing you the money for that one on monday!!! ShhhHHHHHHHHHHHH,,dont tell nobody that i only paid a grand for it..:kingme:

Scott Pearson
04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Where was this boat posted for sale? Also...was it a true Bench Seat or was it a walk through bench seat? Alot of people confuse the two who dont know much about boats.

Fishermanjm
04-13-2011, 03:02 PM
ohhhhh boy here we go........

MOP
04-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Another Who Cares!

Tony
04-13-2011, 06:54 PM

With 29 posts it seems a bit early for you to be so judgmental. :wink:

:beer:

Rob M
04-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Sounds like a great buy. Post pics if you've got them.

Bigman99
04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
With 29 posts it seems a bit early for you to be so judgmental. :wink::beer:

I was waiting for one of you monster posters to comment on my low post count. As you can also see I've been a member since 2006. Reasonably long time I think. A lurker for sure but I joined this forum to learn as much as I could before purchasing my Donzi. In this regard I have found the forum to be invaluable.

What I have noticed over many years of reading is an over-abundance of people with large post counts (much like yourself) implying that people like me have no right to comment on other peoples insulting and asinine comments. Wink all you want but stand by my post and if I'm reading correctly, others seem to agree.

Certainly calling someone out on a post they started in an effort to insult another possible member of this board can't be against the rules now can it. As well, I was not passing judgement on the negativity I've witnessed here, merely commenting on it. I'm happy to point out many examples of what I mean but I'm sure most of these threads have been deleted lest they become an example of the regular mean spirited posts I seem to come across especially with regard to boats for sale. We wouldn't want to scare away potential new(paying) members would we?

In closing Tony, while I appreciate your opinion, whether I have 29 posts or 20000, my comment is my own and I have a right to it. You may think I haven't earned the right to voice it but since 2006 I've read many posts and seen many an insult. The OP should be ashamed of his attitude. And I have the right to say it.

Post #30 completed

yeller
04-14-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm confused. Are you saying you would have approached the owner, educated him about how rare his boat is and then paid the man many thousands more than he was asking or prepared to take? Interesting position to take. Were you interested in this boat? Sour grapes?

This is the most judgmental forum I have ever been a part of. Bigman99, I am not trying to bash you, but this is how threads get out of control. Are you not being judgemental with your post? Your question to Christian could have been more diplomatic. I didn't automatically assume his post was of a negative nature. It may be.....it may not be. I would prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

somerville99
04-14-2011, 03:11 PM
and did not see it.

Bigman99
04-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Bigman99, I am not trying to bash you, but this is how threads get out of control. Are you not being judgemental with your post? Your question to Christian could have been more diplomatic. I didn't automatically assume his post was of a negative nature. It may be.....it may not be. I would prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Last I will say about this. Christian states that the buyer ought to be ashamed of himself...this is a positive re-enforcement of the buyers acquisition? Please. If I had bought the boat in question I would have been thoroughly offended at someone stating that I "should be ashamed of myself". I fail to see how you don't see this as a negative post.

No doubt he felt the buyer ripped the seller off and implied it...publicly. He also contacted the seller and, unsolicited, informed the man that he had been underpaid. Reprehensible. The fact that you would prefer to ignore these facts is ridiculous.

One other point. Please don't accuse me creating the situation here. The OP created it with his acidic post. Did he not expect a response or was he just spitting into the wind?

You may wonder why I'm being so hard nosed about this. Perhaps it's because the buyer had the right to buy the boat without judgement by Christian or anyone else for whatever price he and the seller could agree on. The seller probably felt good about his $1000.00 but do you think he does now? Not likely thanks to someones intervention. At what point should I have been diplomatic? Perhaps that same privilege should have been shown the buyer....

bertsboat
04-14-2011, 04:04 PM
I almost bought a Seabee seaplane like this. A guy on craigslist had a few junk boats listed. I don't even know why I clicked on the listing. There on the bottom a one line phrase "also have an old seaplane for sale"
After I regrouped my brain I decided not to buy it but it was a steal.
Look close. I think this is the Donzi in question. I could be wrong.

fogducker III
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM

So Bigman, are you saying the whole forum and everybody who posts are judgemental...? Are you saying you were there when Christian talked to the seller and heard what was said? I think you are waving a pretty big brush.....:yes: The thread was started with basically a one liner...you sure got a lot of info from that one line...:boggled:

Personally, I don't think it is your place to come on here and "spank" people....if you didn't like the start of the thread, you had a couple of choices, you could have ignored it, you could have PM'd Christian or you could have "tactfully" explained your opinion......:wink: (I know you don't like the winks, but I do)

Like you, I agree that post counts don't mean $hit, but coming in like a bull in a china shop doesn't help....IMO

GBond
04-14-2011, 06:07 PM
With 29 posts it seems a bit early for you to be so judgmental. :wink:

:beer:
You knew the girls couldn't let this one slide.... Bigman. :biggrin:

I completely understand your point.

Bigman99
04-14-2011, 06:16 PM
So Bigman, are you saying the whole forum and everybody who posts are judgemental...? Are you saying you were there when Christian talked to the seller and heard what was said? I think you are waving a pretty big brush.....:yes: The thread was started with basically a one liner...you sure got a lot of info from that one line...:boggled:

Personally, I don't think it is your place to come on here and "spank" people....if you didn't like the start of the thread, you had a couple of choices, you could have ignored it, you could have PM'd Christian or you could have "tactfully" explained your opinion......:wink: (I know you don't like the winks, but I do)

Like you, I agree that post counts don't mean $hit, but coming in like a bull in a china shop doesn't help....IMO

Okay, since it wasn't clear I'll try again. No, I don't think everyone who posts is judgmental. Just that there are a lot of judgmental posts on this board. More than I have ever seen anywhere else and I've seen a lot.

I think Christian was pretty open with what was discussed between him and the seller albeit in one line. The seller didn't know the boat was rare nor it's worth. Christian felt the buyer should "be ashamed". How much clearer could he be? Big brush? I got all the information I needed from the post. Read it again. What do you discern?

I think Christian made the situation public himself. He made his opinion of the buyers tactics very publicly known. Do you suppose he could have been more "tactful" with his admonishment of the buyer? And if I gave him a spanking then perhaps it was deserved. Or not. Let the forum decide.

I just think we have another case of a buyer getting to a boat that others may have wished they could have gotten to first. Win some, lose some but why should anybody be ashamed? That's what I'm taking issue with.

You and the others who have chimed in here seem like reasonable, smart guys. If I came on like a bull in a china shop I'm sorry you feel that way. But if anybody told me I should be ashamed of what I've done they had better have a good reason for saying it or else they should expect some backlash.

Winks are fine and I respect your opinion.

Bigman99
04-14-2011, 06:18 PM
You knew the girls couldn't let this one slide.... Bigman. :biggrin:

I completely understand your point.

Thank you sir.

Christian
04-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Just getting back to this thread. Please note, i was not interested in buying a/ the donzi at issue. I did not see the boat, however the boat was owned by a friends elderly father.

I believe there is a moral and ethical way of buying and selling. For example, if one is to negotiate while a seller is drunk and you take advantage, I believe that to be an unethical buying practice. Same holds true for someone who is elderly combined with not knowing. There simply are other ways to go about a boat purchase weather rare or non rare that allows both parties to feel that the art of the deal was established and then consummated on a positive note and had a fair ending.

That being said, I am a true believer in negotiation skills and practices. I however am not in favor of one person taking advantage of another simply because the person was either asking for it or not knowing. If you disagree, you will have to live with your beliefs and actions.

Have we found the owner?

I have been a board member for 11 years and have not contributed greatly. Scott, I am unsure weather the hull was a pass through or a real single bench. I was told it was a single bench seat hornet from 68 if that clears it up

yeller
04-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Bigman, from Christian's first post, it was not 100% clear to me that he was being negative. In my eyes, there was a possibility he wasn't serious and it was an inside joke, or kidding around, or......

I prefer to take a wait and see attitude.

That being said...Christian, how do you know the new owner knowingly took advantage of the seller. Very few people know the value of older Donzi's...or any type of boat for that matter. I'd wait to hear their story before passing judgement.
In my humble and worthless opinion, I believe it is the sellers responsibility to determine the value of what they are selling. It is the buyers responsibilty to check the item out and determine if they are getting what is advertised. Either side has the option of trying to take advantage of the other party. I personally wouldn't falsely advertise an item or grossly take advantage of a uneducated seller. I have been guilty of "pumping up" an item I am selling, and I have "dickered" with a seller to get the best deal. Would I have told the seller of the boat in question that his price was too low? I don't know. Old boats don't have much value for me. Maybe $1000 is all it would be worth to me because I'd want to redo the interior, change the gauges, swap out the motor and drive, and paint the boat. Now that $1000 boat is going to cost me $15k. Not such a deal any more. It obviously has much greater value to you. I can appreciate that.....but maybe the buyer just thought he was getting an old boat.

Like I said earlier...I prefer to wait and see. Makes life less stressful. :yes: :bighug:

Fishermanjm
04-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Christian, are u sayin that the guy who now previously owned
the boat didn't know what he had or what he was selling?

HOWARD O
04-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi Christian.

Sorry, but if Pearson didn't know about this bench seat hornet, especially in New Jersey, it's not a bench seat Hornet.

MOP
04-14-2011, 09:17 PM
All this noise and we will over time find out someone bought and made a fish boat out of it:nilly:

mrfixxall
04-14-2011, 09:26 PM
or for all we know the boat in question Could have been sold with in the last few years..one of us would have seen it and said something if we say it for sale..

Bigman99
04-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Bigman, from Christian's first post, it was not 100% clear to me that he was being negative. In my eyes, there was a possibility he wasn't serious and it was an inside joke, or kidding around, or......

I prefer to take a wait and see attitude.

That being said...Christian, how do you know the new owner knowingly took advantage of the seller. Very few people know the value of older Donzi's...or any type of boat for that matter. I'd wait to hear their story before passing judgement.
In my humble and worthless opinion, I believe it is the sellers responsibility to determine the value of what they are selling. It is the buyers responsibilty to check the item out and determine if they are getting what is advertised. Either side has the option of trying to take advantage of the other party. I personally wouldn't falsely advertise an item or grossly take advantage of a uneducated seller. I have been guilty of "pumping up" an item I am selling, and I have "dickered" with a seller to get the best deal. Would I have told the seller of the boat in question that his price was too low? I don't know. Old boats don't have much value for me. Maybe $1000 is all it would be worth to me because I'd want to redo the interior, change the gauges, swap out the motor and drive, and paint the boat. Now that $1000 boat is going to cost me $15k. Not such a deal any more. It obviously has much greater value to you. I can appreciate that.....but maybe the buyer just thought he was getting an old boat.

Like I said earlier...I prefer to wait and see. Makes life less stressful. :yes: :bighug:

Couldn't have said it better myself Yeller. The essence of what I was trying to say was perhaps much better said in this manner. Just blindly posting up what was originally said by Christian just seemed so blunt and mean spirited. And I am sorry if I jumped in flailing away but regardless of how it went down it is the sellers responsibility to price his boat accordingly and if he didn't and someone took advantage that's a shame but it's life as they say. I'm also aware that many people would just see an old boat where others would see a treasure. It's all relative and I may be bold in saying this but perhaps the seller was a happy camper and the deal only turned sour after someone else jumped in and soured it.

Christian, I'm a very ethical man and a great believer in fair play. I appreciate your explanation and believe you when you say feel the elderly gentleman didn't understand or appreciate the value of what he was selling. I'm also assuming he was not drunk when the deal was made, just ignorant. Many deals are made in this manner every day. I don't know how elderly the man is nor his current state of health but for every deal like this there is a deal where an old guy is hanging on to some piece of crap, holding out for way more money than a boat(or whatever) is worth just because some fella "in the know" tells him it's worth a huge amount more than it truly is. Sometimes these people die before they sell their "treasure". It then gets sold off for pennies on the dollar in some estate sale.

Maybe that's the true definition of "Ignorance is bliss".

Christian
04-15-2011, 08:06 AM
gentlemen,
your all assuming information that has not yet been found. Only use facts.

You dont know if the seller was drunk, you dont know that the boat was not a single bench donzi. These are just a few of the items you do not know but think you know and are using as points to make your arguments more clear.

There is a lot that i dont know as well, which is why i posted the question and comment. If & when the person who bought the boat decides to comment then we will learn more, however i must type that the owner does have a 22 donzi and i was told watches this forum.

Who knows could have been a bayliner donzi in which case he may have over paid...

but its fun to read all of your comments and find out who thinks what.

All the best
Christian

yeller
04-15-2011, 09:49 AM
gentlemen,

Who knows could have been a bayliner donzi in which case he may have over paid...
Christian, if you were to heed your own advice, you would not have had to start this thread.

It seems to me you are now telling us you don't even know what the value of the boat was?

I don't normally get involved in these types of threads, but for some reason you've got me interested in this one. I'm so ashamed of myself, but now I need to know: Do you actually know the previous owner and do you know what condition the boat was in and what type of boat it was?

Bigman99
04-15-2011, 02:58 PM
gentlemen,

You dont know if the seller was drunk, you dont know that the boat was not a single bench donzi. These are just a few of the items you do not know but think you know and are using as points to make your arguments more clear.

There is a lot that i dont know as well, which is why i posted the question and comment. If & when the person who bought the boat decides to comment then we will learn more, however i must type that the owner does have a 22 donzi and i was told watches this forum.

but its fun to read all of your comments and find out who thinks what.

All the best
Christian

Hmmm yeller, Me thinks someone is a stirring the pot a bit here don't you think? I'm starting to call B.S. on this whole story. Friends elderly father, maybe drunk, maybe not. Bayliner Donzi. Total shenanigans.

Shame on the original poster who sucked us all into this. If he was in the know as he stated, talked to the seller on the phone etc. why would he come back now and post up how little he really knows. Pure crap.

I'm out.

p.s. I still stand by my original argument though. :)

fogducker III
04-15-2011, 03:03 PM
I now feel I am "eating a little crow" here myself......

I took Christians' initial post at face value and with a grain of salt, with what little detail that was there I felt the same way in regards to taking advantage of a situation, but not so sure now.

Christian, please enlighten us with the COMPLETE story if you don't mind......:confused::confused:

PS. I stick with my original opinion that the responses were a little harsh.........:wink:

CaribouLou
04-15-2011, 03:09 PM
There aren't enough rulers and popcorn to deal with this board :nilly:

silverghost
04-17-2011, 02:41 AM
I have been in the hospital for a serious issue for over a week (10 days) and just got out on my birthday.
This is the first time I have been back on this forum.

Re: Benchseat Hornet in NJ ~~~

Two years ago (2009) my buddy Jim had me respond to an advert on craigslist & seriousoffshoreonly for a 68 Benchseat Hornet in Northfield NJ.?Sommers Point NJ.

As it turnd out~~~It was NOT a Benchseat Hornet but the yellow project Benchseat 18 that I eventually wound up buying.
My buddy Jim passed on this boat ~~~so I bought this project.

The seller lived in Northfield NJ and was named Bobby~~~
His web name was "Bobby Fish"
I delt wth him by long distance phone as he was then in Fla..
I also had some strange dealings with his daughter Danielle & his Ex-girlfriend Suzy !

This online advert for a
"1968 Benchseat Hornet $1000 in NJ." is still active two years later on several performance boat websites as of 04/17/11
posted by a "Bobby Fish" of Northfield NJ & Sommers Point NJ.

I suspect that this may very well be the so-called "Benchseat Hornet" in question ???
It is in fact a cut & paste benchseat Donzi 18 conversion project that I own today, and bought in Sept 2009.
It is NOT a benchseat Hornet.

Christian can update this thread if this is in fact the case.

Did you speak to Bobby or Danielle in Northfield NJ ?
Was the boat located in Sommers Point NJ ?

This MAY possibly clear-up the "$1000. Benchseat Hornet in NJ" issue posted here by Christian~~~

If it's not the same boat~~~
Someone got one whale of a good deal !

Scott Pearson
04-17-2011, 03:04 PM
That makes sence....that must be the boat you bought.

silverghost
04-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Scott~~~and others~~~

Christian is a good guy here.
The Seller's "Story" is just a bit mixed-up and muddy.
~~~
Before this turns into another slugfest~~~

I think this IS my Benchseat 18 project that is in question.
~~~
I legally bought the boat~~~
I got a signed bill of sale & a Title along with this boat.
It is now, and always was, titled as a 1972 Donzi 18.

More on this STORY.

My friend Jim from MD sent me to look at this so-called 1968 Benchseat Hornet in the summer of 2009 as he & I both were looking for a benchseat Hornet.
I was only a few miles away in Ocean City NJ.
So I was first to look at her.
It was in a Marina in Somers Point NJ.
The boat's owner,Bobby, his daughter, and Ex-girlfriend live in Northfield NJ.

Bobby "Fish" the seller in Northfield had mis-represented this converted Donzi 18 cut-and-paste project as a 1968 Benchseat Hornet~~~
It soon became very clear that it was not really a Benchseat Hornet.
My buddy Jim then passed on this project.
--- I then in 2009 made my very first post here~~~
"Early Donzi 18 race boat found" (see 2009 post) asking if Donzi ever built a benchseat 18 ?
I soon learned from this great forum what it really was~~~
A benchseat 18 build-up project~~~

My Father & I wanted a project~~~So I bought this unfinished & stripped benchseat 18 project.

I am also still looking for a Benchseat Hornet also for myself.
My buddy Jim is no longer interested in a Hornet.

Bobby "Fish" from Northfield NJ, the project's seller, had peppered the internet boat forums with many adverts calling it a Benchseat 16, Rare 1968 Benchseat Hornet,Single seat Hornet etc.
~~~
2 1/2 years later many of his old adverts are still active on the web .
It seems nothing goes away once posted on the web~~~

I doubt there was ever a real Benchseat Hornet for sale in New Jersey in the last 2 1/2 years.
Someone here would have picked-up on it~~~Very Fast .

Bobby mis-represented this boat~~~possibly because he did not know any better~~~or possibly just to secure a sale.
I'd bet that all these years later he is still getting calls from potential buyers
wanting that Rare & Very Cheap $1000. 1968 Benchseat Hornet.
His phone must be still ringing off the hook ~~~

After I had purchased this project boat Bobby's stripper ex-girlfriend Suzy was holding my new project's hardware hostage in an effort to get money out of Bobby & myself.
I had to buy some of my own new project's hardware back from her.
She still has some of MY project's hardware that she refuses to give back~~~
She wants to extort more money out of me 2 1/2 years later~~~
Fat chance of that ever happening.

They never paid the boatyard owner for his storage fees.
He had threatened to cut this project up with a chainsaw after Labor Day 2009.
I stepped-in and payed these storage fees along with buying this boat from Bobby & his daughter Danielle. for his asking price.

Suzy the stripper Ex-girlfriend & Bobby "Fish" the seller are both Flakes~~~
I have long finished dealing with both of them .

Christian I believe actually looked at my new benchseat 18 project at about the very same time as I was considering it in July 2009.
He posted & sent me a PM about this Bnchseat 18 project at that time.
He may have forgotten this~~~see his 2009 post on my earlier thread.

Christian is a really great guy~~~
He knows his boats~~~
Make no mistake about that.

I think this should finally clear things up.

There was Never a Benchseat Hornet bought for $1000. in New Jersey in the last few years in my opinion.
Look up my old post to see what it actually really is.

The original 2009 NJ craigslist advert is still posted here as well.

I hope this helps to put this old NJ Benchseat Hornet rumor to rest.

By the way~~~

I am still looking to BUY a Benchseat Hornet to go along wih this above Donzi Benchseat 18 project .

Christian
04-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks Silverghost for the kind words.

This is a different hull.
Your boat was around the south jersey shore area.

This supposed bench was located near atco NJ about 45+ miles west. and was sold about a month or less ago 2011.

silverghost
04-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Christian:
Do you know where the advert was originally posted ?
I am only 30 min, or less, from Atco NJ & drive in that area all the time.

What color was this hull ?

I/O or V-Drive.

Was it complete ?

It's funny nobody here ever saw the boat advert listed?

We need more details.

How did you find out about this Benchseat Hornet ?

silverghost
04-17-2011, 09:08 PM
There are Two very rough Benchseat Hornet projects listed For-Sale on this site now~~~
One in MD by mdonzi,(Mario) with photos,and one supposedly For-Sale in Fla without any photos.or detailed descriptions.

pipnit
04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
OK, found the 1000 dollar single bencher,

Unfortunately for the buyer, the old man was too old to winterize the engine, the block is cracked.

Removed the motor only to find that the stringers have lifted from the hull

took the drive off only to find that you can push your finger, knuckle deep in the saturated, rotten wood

Maybe that old man was slicker than he was made out to be :popcorn:

CaribouLou
04-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Got any pics? Sounds mint :wink:

Sweet Cheekz
04-19-2011, 08:17 AM
OK, found the 1000 dollar single bencher,

Unfortunately for the buyer, the old man was too old to winterize the engine, the block is cracked.

Removed the motor only to find that the stringers have lifted from the hull

took the drive off only to find that you can push your finger, knuckle deep in the saturated, rotten wood

Maybe that old man was slicker than he was made out to be :popcorn:

This should all have been expected and none of its insurmountable If it really is a benchseat than it was a nice deal regardless of its condition as long as the owner expects to spend a lot of money to make it right.

Parnell

pipnit
04-19-2011, 08:35 AM
This should all have been expected and none of its insurmountable If it really is a benchseat than it was a nice deal regardless of its condition as long as the owner expects to spend a lot of money to make it right.

Parnell

Parnell, like 99% of this thread, my post is nothing but complete and utter bullisht...

Since we were supplied with ZERO factual information including from the OP, I figured I'd adlib... Sorry, not usually one to take troll bait but I couldn't resist.

Shame on the guy who bought a roached out Donzi from an old man :nilly:

Fishermanjm
04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
LMAO!!! good one pip i like the sence of humor

GBond
04-19-2011, 10:36 AM
That was good....Thanks for the laugh!

silverghost
04-19-2011, 01:34 PM
I have suspected from day one that this thread was some sort of strange April Fool's joke~~~

I will believe that until I am proven wrong with the supposed new buyer, or some other person , posting actual photos, or the original For Sale advert for this $1000. Benchseat Hornet.

It would have been nice to know that there are still a few old & unrestored Benchseat Hornet projects out there that can be bought for realistic money~~~

I have been actually looking for one for 2 1/2 years~~~
There is a very rough project in MD with an asking price of $10 K .
~~~One rough project in Fla offered by a Donzi Speculator / Flipper
for over $15+ K with no photos or accurate description ever posted.
~~~And Scott Pearson's "the Ultimate" that was offered on ebay for unknown reserve money.
Scott's is by far in the Best condition & best value of the three projects currently For Sale out there.

All these above projects remain un-sold as of today.
In my opinion they are all just way ovepriced~~~
and thus will not sell in today's soft & tight market.
But then again~~~
That is just MY opinion.

Sweet little 16
04-19-2011, 02:55 PM
It would have been nice to know that there are still a few old & unrestored Benchseat Hornet projects out there that can be bought for realistic money~~~
~~~And Scott Pearson's "the Ultimate" that was offered on ebay for unknown reserve money.
Scott's is by far in the Best condition & best value of the three projects currently For Sale out there.
But then again~~~
That is just MY opinion.
I have asked in numerous places what is the market value of a benchseat hornet still waiting on an answer I'd settle for a ball park. It would appear that this is a market driven by the owners . They have a price range in mind and they are not willing to take less. Supply and demand they have the supply and can demand what they want
When did the last one change hands and what was the final selling price??? Looks like from what has been posted a rough Benchseat project hull is worth 10k give or take then add all the goodies onto that.
In my opinion you want into an exclusive club and are not willing to pay the cover charge.
With 16 and 18 projects here listed between 4-7k in various conditions south of decent and complete .I would say that a benchseat project has got to be worth more than that . So what is a realistic price for one??

silverghost
04-19-2011, 03:30 PM
I have asked in numerous places what is the market value of a benchseat hornet still waiting on an answer I'd settle for a ball park. It would appear that this is a market driven by the owners . They have a price range in mind and they are not willing to take less. Supply and demand they have the supply and can demand what they want
When did the last one change hands and what was the final selling price??? Looks like from what has been posted a rough Benchseat project hull is worth 10k give or take then add all the goodies onto that.
In my opinion you want into an exclusive club and are not willing to pay the cover charge.
With 16 and 18 projects here listed between 4-7k in various conditions south of decent and complete .I would say that a benchseat project has got to be worth more than that . So what is a realistic price for one??

You make a good point~~~

But~~~
In reality an item is only worth what a WILLING seller will take for the item & a WILLING buyer will pay for it.

So far~~~
These projects have no buyers at the owner's current HIGH asking prices.

"The Ultimate" went unsold on ebay ~~~and ebay is a world-wide market.
That says quite a bit indeed.
ebay will typically bring in the most potentially interested serious buyers.

With any project boat~~~
Rare or not ~~~
Condition is everything.
With the exception of Scott Pearson's "the Ultimate" the other MD & Fla. boats are real rough incomplete basket-cases or abused projects .

I am willing to pay a Resonable price based on a specific project boat's condition.

But I will NOT over-pay.

Benchseat Hornet spare parts, hatches, and hardware are not available~~~they must be custom made~~~at great cost !

Just because someone thinks they have a "Rare" item does not make it worth $10-15 K if it is one step away from the chainsaw & burn pile.
And there are no WILLING buyers at their asking prices.

The fact that $100,000+ was put into the fantastic restoration of Scott Pearson's "the Sting" does not mean that anyone else with deep pockets will wish to spend this sort of money on a simiar Benchseat Hornet basket-case or incomplete restoration project.

In short~~~

There seem to be NO willing buyers for these rough & incomplete projects at these current over-inflated asking prices.

This is MY opinion~~~
and also the opinion of at least five other very active forum members here & on Donzi.org. who have seen photos of these projects.

The many Classic & Antique Wood & Fiberglass boat Restorer/Dealers around the web also agree with me also.

There IS a price that each of these restoration projects WILL sell for~~~
The Sellers seem to value their project Benchseat Hornets far more than any potential buyers.
Thus these restoration projects remain Un-Sold.

The Supply of these project boats is very small~~~
But the Demand is equally as small~~~
or SMALLER.

I AM one such potential cash buyer for a Benchseat Hornet.

Sweet little 16
04-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Okay nice long winded answer to a simple question .

I repeat what do you think/feel/in your opinion is a realistic price for a project benchseat .

no editorials just fill in the blank $________________

What would in your opinon the price be on a mostly original benchseat in good condition working mechanicals , with no coring issues ,and all hardware and interior?

no editorials just fill in the blank $_______________

Sweet little 16
04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
The fact that $100,000+ was put into the fantastic restoration of Scott Pearson's "the Sting" does not mean that anyone else with deep pockets will wish to spend this sort of money on a simiar Benchseat Hornet basket-case or incomplete restoration project.

In short~~~

think you need to get your facts straight , I think the sting is someone elses boat, so someone else was willing to put alot of money to save one.

oh I am glad you kept it short :rolleyes:

BUIZILLA
04-19-2011, 04:07 PM
In reality an item is only worth what a WILLING seller will take for the item & a WILLING buyer will pay for it.
I think we covered this in the first couple o' posts.. :cool:

but, i'm not sure :bonk:

silverghost
04-19-2011, 04:08 PM
I HAVE my facts straight~~~

It WAS Scott Pearson's restoration project on another wealthy Donzi Owner/Collector's Benchseat Hornet !

I have talked to Scott several times ~~~
And viewed his club's website with the fantastic "the Sting" restoration photos.
I have been watching the restoration progress on the web for at least 2 1/2 years.

Hope this answer is short enough for YOU .

fogducker III
04-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Brad, you sure talk in general terms, bottom line, you are looking for a Hornet for less then anybody is willing to sell one to you for, right?

All this nonsense about forum members siding with you and "boat restoration people"

Quote: "and also the opinion of at least five other very active forum members here & on Donzi.org. who have seen photos of these projects."

BS....name them.

Quote: "The many Classic & Antique Wood & Fiberglass boat Restorer/Dealers around the web also agree with me also."

BS...same thing.

You are doing the "bull in the china shop" thing again, just because you can't find the boat you want, cheap, you are broadly stating that every bench seat Hornet out there is over priced, over YOUR price yes, not to the sellers and not to a buyer down the road when the general economy improves.....

Perhaps Donzi Racer can find you a deal....:bonk:

silverghost
04-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Brad, you sure talk in general terms, bottom line, you are looking for a Hornet for less then anybody is willing to sell one to you for, right?

All this nonsense about forum members siding with you and "boat restoration people"

Quote: "and also the opinion of at least five other very active forum members here & on Donzi.org. who have seen photos of these projects."

BS....name them.

Quote: "The many Classic & Antique Wood & Fiberglass boat Restorer/Dealers around the web also agree with me also."

BS...same thing.

You are doing the "bull in the china shop" thing again, just because you can't find the boat you want, cheap, you are broadly stating that every bench seat Hornet out there is over priced, over YOUR price yes, not to the sellers and not to a buyer down the road when the general economy improves.....

Perhaps Donzi Racer can find you a deal....:bonk:

You want names~~~
I'll GIVE you names~~~

Lenny, George Carter, Bill in Tx, Scott Pearson Mr Benchseat Hornet Himself~~~
and several others.
And YES~~~
Donzi Racer TOM !

. F Todd Warner,Antique Boat Connection, Sierra Classic Boat,
Platinum Classics , are the Classic boat dealers.

All these guys AGREE with my evaluation of these projects.

I DO NOT BS ANYONE~~~
I STRONGLY RESENT YOUR STATEMENT !

IF they were worth their asking prices~~~
The boats would have SOLD long ago !

pipnit
04-19-2011, 04:51 PM
I repeat what do you think/feel/in your opinion is a realistic price for a project benchseat .
What would in your opinon the price be on a mostly original benchseat in good condition working mechanicals , with no coring issues ,and all hardware and interior?
no editorials just fill in the blank $_______________

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that a good number is

$1,000

Sweet Cheekz
04-19-2011, 04:52 PM
But~~~

So far~~~

I am willing to pay a Resonable price based on a specific project boat's condition.

But I will NOT over-pay.

Just because someone thinks they have a "Rare" item does not make it worth $10-15 K if it is one step away from the chainsaw & burn pile.

In short~~~

There seem to be NO willing buyers for these rough & incomplete projects at these current over-inflated asking prices.

The Sellers seem to value their project Benchseat Hornets far more than any potential buyers.

If the buyers are willing and able to wait for their numbers to be accepted or maintain ownership of their boats indefinately than the market price is what they accept. You continuosly complain that they are overpriced as compared to what you feel the "market price" is yet they seem comfortable holding on to their boats till that rare buyer does step up and pay the number.
I also think its a sweeping statement to say there is not another person in the world that will pay an overinflated price to redo one of these boats. The more accutate statement would be that you are unwilling to do that. These owners are betting you are wrong and they appear willing to wait and show you.
Best of luck with your search

Parnell

fogducker III
04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
You want names~~~
I'll GIVE you names~~~

and several others.
And YES~~~
Donzi Racer TOM !

I DO NOT BS ANYONE~~~

I don't care what you resent, you are full of crap....IMO

Lenny is a VERY good friend of mine, I will be talking to him, the other THREE you mention know their stuff and I respect that, although I do not know what was discussed.

These particular boats, as well as others, have not sold because NOTHING is selling unless the seller is DESPERATE.....read the news, it tells you about the current economy right now, WORLDWIDE....:bonk:

As far as the "boat dealers" what were you asking them and what answer did you expect? I suspect they tried talking you into buying one of their boats at a better deal...???

As far as getting the best price for a boat via Ebay, again, BS, I have bought boats from Ebay and STOLE them from the sellers, I have also sold on Ebay for numerous years, unless you get a screaming deal and buy something for a very low price in order to sell it on Ebay, you will NOT make any money on Ebay, period.

As far as Tom goes, the guy is a shyster, wheeler/dealer crook, again, IMO

Look Brad, you have been going ON and ON about this Hornet benchseat thing for ages, why not just keep looking, keep quiet and come back when you have a running boat...? Again, IMO....:wink:

CaribouLou
04-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey Jeremy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~what's up with the use of the "~"?

fogducker III
04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Hey Jeremy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~what's up with the use of the "~"?

LMAO....I was gonna point that out but realized I used the phrase, "As far as"......THREE + times.....:bonk:

How is the build going?

Sweet little 16
04-19-2011, 06:43 PM
no Brad it was not short enough and it didn't answer the question all you had to do was fill in the blank with an amount .
and nice edit by the way you do that alot.

I am calling BS on most of your post. beside Scott Pearson please list the benchseat hornets that the names and organizations you mentioned have been involved with or worked on or evaluated. Oh BTW forget donzi racer a guy who will sell bottom paint on a classic as an upgrade yeah he is the benchmark for classic donzi evaluations.

BUIZILLA
04-19-2011, 07:13 PM
But I will NOT over-pay. that's great Brad, nobody WANTS to overpay... with that said, what boat on this planet is within your price range?

none, right?

I want a restorable AC Cobra for 8k also...

none of those on this planet either

maybe we should both search another planet?

where should we start? Mars?

or Uranus?

:kingme:

silverghost
04-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Hey I don't see any of you Blow-hards buying these overpriced Benchseat Hornets .

You all just seem to have nothing better to do~~~but argue, name call, & pick fights.

$1000. for ANY Benchseat Hornet would be a screaming give-away !

I would pay well into five figures $10K-$25K for a good project Benchseat Hornet project. I does not need to have an engine or drive !

BUT not for a butchered incomplete burn-pile boat .

I will NOT pay $!0-!5K for trash that someone got for under $1000~~~or FREE.

Sweet little 16
04-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Hey I don't see any of you Blow-hards buying these overpriced Benchseat Hornets .

You all just seem to have nothing better to do~~~but argue, name call, & pick fights.

I would pay well into five figures for a good project Benchseat Hornet project.

ok so now we are on name calling really??? well I might be out of place and speaking out of turn for us blowhards but we don't see you buying one either.

so a good project boat is well into 5 figures??? so the market value lies somewhere between 1000 and well into 5 figures??? Is this your opinion or are you speaking for your inner circle of trust???

CaribouLou
04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
So, your point~~~~~~~you're too cheap to buy one, but you will post about buying one, and using lots of these~~~~

Gotcha.

Moving on to the next drama thread :popcorn:

Buddyc
04-19-2011, 07:50 PM
So, your point~~~~~~~you're too cheap to buy one, but you will post about buying one, and using lots of these~~~~

Gotcha.

Moving on to the next drama thread :popcorn:

Get your popcorn ready Kelly... there is plenty to go around:wink:

Fishermanjm
04-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Page 5

fogducker III
04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
The true Brad comes out, I knew ya had it in ya....:wink:

You are one of those guys who will go through your whole life talking about something but never actually doing it......

You talk the talk but when it comes time to doing the walk....you stumble......:boggled:

Just a suggestion, why don't you concentrate on the 18 project you have, quit posting and name dropping and we'll see you next year...?:boat:

Buddyc
04-19-2011, 08:10 PM

You are one of those guys who will go through your whole life talking about something but never actually doing it......

You talk the talk but when it comes time to doing the walk....you stumble......:boggled:

Just a suggestion, why don't you concentrate on the 18 project you have, quit posting and name dropping and we'll see you next year...?:boat:

I knew I liked you for some reason...lol :beer:

CaribouLou
04-19-2011, 08:13 PM

~~~~

DAULEY
04-19-2011, 08:17 PM
:nilly:
that's great Brad, nobody WANTS to overpay... with that said, what boat on this planet is within your price range?
none, right?
I want a restorable AC Cobra for 8k also...
none of those on this planet either
maybe we should both search another planet?
where should we start? Mars?
or Uranus?
:kingme:
well said jim i think hes bipolar

pipnit
04-19-2011, 09:19 PM
:popcorn:http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21/Conway77/popcornj.gif:popcorn:

Rob M
04-19-2011, 09:21 PM
The negativity sounds a little harsh. So Brad really wants a Benchseat Hornet but is gun shy on price. What's the big deal?

CaribouLou
04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
He sure talks about it~~~~a LOT!

Bigman99
04-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow, how this thread has evolved. I still think the OP was full of crap. Now I know he was. Sounds now like a bait to get Brad going.

Hint everyone...there was no benchseat for $1000.00.

And if you don't believe that, I have a '64 Cobra 289 awaiting a restoration in my garage I'd let go for $8k. Any takers?:bonk:

Scott Pearson
04-20-2011, 05:23 AM
Wow...this post got a bit crazy huh...:bonk:

With these Bench Seat Hornets its so hard to find one complete or one that has its hardware or one that dosnt need coring and stringers. There is always something and most of the time its everything.

It really dosnt matter what Hornet you find...Its gonna cost you a ton to do the boat right.

There is only 2 Bench Seat Hornets that I know of that are not restored that will not need full restorations and are nice solid boats. I offered the owner $36,000 for the one years ago and it was turned down. The other isnt for sale.

Really dont know where I'm going with this....but just wanted to throw some things out there.:)

Sweet little 16
04-20-2011, 06:14 AM
With these Bench Seat Hornets its so had to find one complete or one that has its hardware or one that dosnt need coring and stringers. There is always something and most of the time its everything.
It really dosnt matter what Hornet you find...Its gonna cost you a ton to do the boat right.
There is only 2 Bench Seat Hornets that I know of that are not restored that will not need full restorations and are nice solid boats. I offered the owner $36,000 for the one years ago and it was turned down. The other isnt for sale.
Really dont know where I'm going with this....but just wanted to throw some things out there.:)

this post and Parnell's are probably the best info on the thread. I think they both hold very true. Some people are willing to spend the needed funds on a worthy project some maybe not, and the owners are not going to be easily seperated from their Hornets for a price below their asking price.

I tried to ask a simple question what is the market value, the buying part of the market couldn't give an answer, not even a ball park( the old it is worth what somone is willing to pay thing). It seems to be a seller driven market. The sellers feel that project boats in rough shape are worth 10k and an unrestored boat 40+ year old original boat is worth more than 36k. So yes Virginia there are no 8k project shelby gt/split window coupe vettes out there.

Not really sure what well into 5 figures means ?? To me it would have to be 50k or higher. But I think silver might think that's gold's neighborhood.
Some other things that will ring true. There are not many left and as each rough project gets closer to a burn pile as Brad says the remaining boats only gain in value.
Now one must ask themselves do I ante up now and get in the game or do I wait for a player or 2 to drop out and let the table go from a $10 buy in to a $25 buy in ??

BUIZILLA
04-20-2011, 06:23 AM

What would in your opinion the price be on a mostly original benchseat in good condition working mechanicals , with no coring issues ,and all hardware and interior?

no editorials just fill in the blank $_______________ Brad, I think, at this point, Russ's questions have serious merit, and may help us ALL understand your logic

with that said, what qualifications or experience do you, or any of your sources have, to justify current market pricing on Hornet's, or any antique Donzi for that matter? are there any books, past sales, or documented literature to refer to?

or is this all arm chair speculation based solely on what YOU think?

thanx

silverghost
04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Brad, I think, at this point, Russ's questions have serious merit, and may help us ALL understand your logic

with that said, what qualifications or experience do you, or any of your sources have, to justify current market pricing on Hornet's, or any antique Donzi for that matter? are there any books, past sales, or documented literature to refer to?

or is this all arm chair speculation based solely on what YOU think?

thanx

I am basing our Actual Selling market values based on what Mattyboy paid for his fairly clean Benchseat Hornet I/O project a few years back, and also what the un-restored "the Sting" & "the Ultimate" projects were purchased for.

I do not expect to "Steal" a project hornet for $1000. as some above have insisted.
I have very relistic expectations~~~
I have owned over 18 boats in my life~~~
I own five now~~~
Four will hit the water in the next few weeks.
I have never had a season without a running boat in the water all season since 1970 until my father's death last summer.
And contrary to popular opinion here~~~ I have plenty of cash reserve to buy any boat I want with cash$$$.
I am NOT a tire kicker~~~
I am a buyer for a project in fair condition for a "Realistic" Fair Market price.
. I don't understand where all this slamming of me came from out of the blue in this thread.
I did NOTHING to warrant this slamming~~~
Chill-Out !

If you saw the MD & Fla Benchseat Hornet projects offered to me , and wanted a Bench Hornet yourself, I'd bet YOU would NOT pay $10K for that butchered mess in MD that is ready for the chainsaw, or the $16+K for that incomplete & rough project in Fla that the Fla boat speculators are selling.

These folks can ASK any price they wish~~~It's their boats.
BUT~~~There seem to be NO WILLING BUYERS at their current asking prices.
The market itself will eventually set the final selling price~~~ It always does~~~
Assuming they Really want to sell ?

CaribouLou
04-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Total "~" count on that post was 30, and still no dollar amount answer :popcorn:

DAULEY
04-20-2011, 01:27 PM
I am basing our Actual Selling market values based on what Mattyboy paid for his fairly clean Benchseat Hornet I/O project a few years back, and also what the un-restored "the Sting" & "the Ultimate" projects were purchased for.

I do not expect to "Steal" a project hornet for $1000. as some above have insisted.
I own five now~~~
I have never had a season without a running boat in the water all season since 1970 until my father's death last summer.
And contrary to popular opinion here~~~ I have plenty of cash reserve to buy any boat I want with cash$$$.
I am a buyer for a project in fair condition for a "Realistic" Fair Market price.
. I don't understand where all this slamming of me came from out of the blue in this thread.
Chill-Out !

If you saw the MD & Fla Benchseat Hornet projects offered to me , and wanted a Bench Hornet yourself, I'd bet YOU would NOT pay $10K for that butchered mess in MD that is ready for the chainsaw, or the $16+K for that incomplete & rough project in Fla that the Fla boat speculators are selling.

The market itself will eventually set the final selling price~~~ It always does~~~
why would you call a person a speculator or flipper who is selling a boat from his collection of the 20 some donzies he ownes like i said before he dont need the money just thuoght he would put it on the market and if not sold it would get restored some day
you could only dream of having a collection like him
good luck in your search
and why would you bash marios boat like that

BUIZILLA
04-20-2011, 02:04 PM
and your telling us to Chill Out >>>

I own five now~~~
Chill-Out !

I would pay well into five figures $10K-$25K for a good project Benchseat Hornet project. I does not need to have an engine or drive !

I will NOT pay $!0-!5K for trash that someone got for under $1000~~~or FREE.

You want names~~~
I'll GIVE you names~~~

and several others.
And YES~~~
Donzi Racer TOM !

I DO NOT BS ANYONE~~~

I HAVE my facts straight~~~

It WAS Scott Pearson's restoration project on another wealthy Donzi Owner/Collector's Benchseat Hornet !

I have talked to Scott several times ~~~
And viewed his club's website with the fantastic "the Sting" restoration photos.
I have been watching the restoration progress on the web for at least 2 1/2 years.

Hope this answer is short enough for YOU .

You make a good point~~~

But~~~

So far~~~

"The Ultimate" went unsold on ebay ~~~and ebay is a world-wide market.
That says quite a bit indeed.
ebay will typically bring in the most potentially interested serious buyers.

With any project boat~~~
Rare or not ~~~
Condition is everything.
With the exception of Scott Pearson's "the Ultimate" the other MD & Fla. boats are real rough incomplete basket-cases or abused projects .

But I will NOT over-pay.

Benchseat Hornet spare parts, hatches, and hardware are not available~~~they must be custom made~~~at great cost !

In short~~~

This is MY opinion~~~
and also the opinion of at least five other very active forum members here & on Donzi.org. who have seen photos of these projects.

The many Classic & Antique Wood & Fiberglass boat Restorer/Dealers around the web also agree with me also.

The Supply of these project boats is very small~~~
But the Demand is equally as small~~~
or SMALLER.

I AM one such potential cash buyer for a Benchseat Hornet.

I have suspected from day one that this thread was some sort of strange April Fool's joke~~~

I will believe that until I am proven wrong with the supposed new buyer, or some other person , posting actual photos, or the original For Sale advert for this $1000. Benchseat Hornet.

But then again~~~
That is just MY opinion.

There are Two very rough Benchseat Hornet projects listed For-Sale on this site now~~~
One in MD by mdonzi,(Mario) with photos,and one supposedly For-Sale in Fla without any photos.or detailed descriptions.

Christian:
Do you know where the advert was originally posted ?
I am only 30 min, or less, from Atco NJ & drive in that area all the time.

What color was this hull ?

I/O or V-Drive.

Was it complete ?

It's funny nobody here ever saw the boat advert listed?

We need more details.

How did you find out about this Benchseat Hornet ?

Scott~~~and others~~~

Christian is a good guy here.
The Seller's "Story" is just a bit mixed-up and muddy.
~~~
Before this turns into another slugfest~~~

I think this IS my Benchseat 18 project that is in question.
~~~
I legally bought the boat~~~
I got a signed bill of sale & a Title along with this boat.
It is now, and always was, titled as a 1972 Donzi 18.

More on this STORY.

My friend Jim from MD sent me to look at this so-called 1968 Benchseat Hornet in the summer of 2009 as he & I both were looking for a benchseat Hornet.
I was only a few miles away in Ocean City NJ.
So I was first to look at her.
It was in a Marina in Somers Point NJ.
The boat's owner,Bobby, his daughter, and Ex-girlfriend live in Northfield NJ.

Bobby "Fish" the seller in Northfield had mis-represented this converted Donzi 18 cut-and-paste project as a 1968 Benchseat Hornet~~~
It soon became very clear that it was not really a Benchseat Hornet.
My buddy Jim then passed on this project.
--- I then in 2009 made my very first post here~~~
"Early Donzi 18 race boat found" (see 2009 post) asking if Donzi ever built a benchseat 18 ?
I soon learned from this great forum what it really was~~~
A benchseat 18 build-up project~~~

My Father & I wanted a project~~~So I bought this unfinished & stripped benchseat 18 project.

I am also still looking for a Benchseat Hornet also for myself.
My buddy Jim is no longer interested in a Hornet.

Bobby "Fish" from Northfield NJ, the project's seller, had peppered the internet boat forums with many adverts calling it a Benchseat 16, Rare 1968 Benchseat Hornet,Single seat Hornet etc.
~~~
2 1/2 years later many of his old adverts are still active on the web .
It seems nothing goes away once posted on the web~~~

I doubt there was ever a real Benchseat Hornet for sale in New Jersey in the last 2 1/2 years.
Someone here would have picked-up on it~~~Very Fast .

Bobby mis-represented this boat~~~possibly because he did not know any better~~~or possibly just to secure a sale.
I'd bet that all these years later he is still getting calls from potential buyers
wanting that Rare & Very Cheap $1000. 1968 Benchseat Hornet.
His phone must be still ringing off the hook ~~~

After I had purchased this project boat Bobby's stripper ex-girlfriend Suzy was holding my new project's hardware hostage in an effort to get money out of Bobby & myself.
I had to buy some of my own new project's hardware back from her.
She still has some of MY project's hardware that she refuses to give back~~~
She wants to extort more money out of me 2 1/2 years later~~~
Fat chance of that ever happening.

They never paid the boatyard owner for his storage fees.
He had threatened to cut this project up with a chainsaw after Labor Day 2009.
I stepped-in and payed these storage fees along with buying this boat from Bobby & his daughter Danielle. for his asking price.

Suzy the stripper Ex-girlfriend & Bobby "Fish" the seller are both Flakes~~~
I have long finished dealing with both of them .

Christian I believe actually looked at my new benchseat 18 project at about the very same time as I was considering it in July 2009.
He posted & sent me a PM about this Bnchseat 18 project at that time.
He may have forgotten this~~~see his 2009 post on my earlier thread.

Christian is a really great guy~~~
He knows his boats~~~
Make no mistake about that.

I think this should finally clear things up.

There was Never a Benchseat Hornet bought for $1000. in New Jersey in the last few years in my opinion.
Look up my old post to see what it actually really is.

The original 2009 NJ craigslist advert is still posted here as well.

I hope this helps to put this old NJ Benchseat Hornet rumor to rest.

By the way~~~

I am still looking to BUY a Benchseat Hornet to go along wih this above Donzi Benchseat 18 project .

I have been in the hospital for a serious issue for over a week (10 days) and just got out on my birthday.
This is the first time I have been back on this forum.

Re: Benchseat Hornet in NJ ~~~

Two years ago (2009) my buddy Jim had me respond to an advert on craigslist & seriousoffshoreonly for a 68 Benchseat Hornet in Northfield NJ.?Sommers Point NJ.

As it turnd out~~~It was NOT a Benchseat Hornet but the yellow project Benchseat 18 that I eventually wound up buying.
My buddy Jim passed on this boat ~~~so I bought this project.

The seller lived in Northfield NJ and was named Bobby~~~
His web name was "Bobby Fish"
I delt wth him by long distance phone as he was then in Fla..
I also had some strange dealings with his daughter Danielle & his Ex-girlfriend Suzy !

This online advert for a
"1968 Benchseat Hornet $1000 in NJ." is still active two years later on several performance boat websites as of 04/17/11
posted by a "Bobby Fish" of Northfield NJ & Sommers Point NJ.

I suspect that this may very well be the so-called "Benchseat Hornet" in question ???
It is in fact a cut & paste benchseat Donzi 18 conversion project that I own today, and bought in Sept 2009.
It is NOT a benchseat Hornet.

Christian can update this thread if this is in fact the case.

Did you speak to Bobby or Danielle in Northfield NJ ?
Was the boat located in Sommers Point NJ ?

This MAY possibly clear-up the "$1000. Benchseat Hornet in NJ" issue posted here by Christian~~~

If it's not the same boat~~~
Someone got one whale of a good deal !

Sweet little 16
04-20-2011, 03:59 PM

this was another one of my questions that you didn't answer.

ok what were the selling prices of those 3 and when did they sell??

mrfixxall
04-20-2011, 04:08 PM
~~~I would pay well into five figures $10K-$25K for a good project Benchseat Hornet project. I does not need to have an engine or drive !~~~

Dont take this as me bashing ya!!!~~~

A) you buy a home made bench seat 18....

B) next you wanted a x18 jet that you cant find at a good deal....

C) Now you want a Bench seat Hornet, again for for a reasonable price....

D) you still have a unfinished bench seat project for the past 3 yrs that will probably never get finished..

Remember im not bashing you and just stating facts..

Advise take the 10~~~~~25k and buy a finished donzi..:kingme:

joseph m. hahnl
04-20-2011, 04:17 PM
SG : I think it's official.

http://photos3.fotosearch.com/bthumb/FSA/FSA003/x19599719.jpg

mrfixxall
04-20-2011, 04:24 PM
SG : I think it's official.

http://photos3.fotosearch.com/bthumb/FSA/FSA003/x19599719.jpg

joe which one are you shaggin??? lol sorry i had to do it...:wink:

MDonziM
04-20-2011, 04:51 PM

With these Bench Seat Hornets its so hard to find one complete or one that has its hardware or one that dosnt need coring and stringers. There is always something and most of the time its everything.

Scott,

A friend of mine growing up had a light blue Hornet benchseat that was supposed to have been the tender for Highlander, Malcome Forbes' yacht. (circa 1980) Have you heard of this one?

- Marshall

v-drive
04-20-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't talk on here very much, and I'm not wanting to get off topic, but I do have a question I've always wanted to ask and this seems to be a good time. Do any of you guys know of any Donzi that came with the 427 side oiler ford, that still has it's original engine? My 18 does, and I wondered if any of these Bench seat hornets your talking about would still have the original 427. Thank you, Richy.

Scott Pearson
04-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Marshall,
I know the boat and the owner. Its all powder blue and a v-drive. Pretty clean boat. Wish it was for sale.

Richy,
I know a bunch of Donzi's with the original 427 Side oilers in them. There out there.

Sweet little 16
04-20-2011, 06:46 PM
this is what the forbes hornet tender looks like not a benchseat

http://www.thenewyorkscene.com/webready_forbes71506/ppages/ppage138.htm

Sweet little 16
04-22-2011, 05:05 AM
Brad ,
I am not slamming you , I just disagree with you and your "benchseat market evaulation group" opinion.

You have mentioned 3 boats that have sold as the basis for your "market".
These 3 boats have all sold over the last 8 years . Not much of a market?? standard classics probably are sold at 4 times that rate if not more.I would bet 12 standard classics have sold over those same 8 years.

So that tells me they are truely rare. That also tells me that a project bench in the same condition as a project standard classic is going to be more.

I don't think with that limited info one could even suggest a market trend. The facts are the owners think they are worth more than the buyers do,they don't need to sell but will sell if they get their price.

I am also sure that your group has taken basic economic values and formulas into play to establish this market. the difference of the 2003 US dollar to the 2009 and 2011 dollar would be one I would think might have some merit.

I would love to see your numbers. Here's my formula, they sell at a 1 to 4 rate( benchseat to standard classic) the market price on a benchseat is 4 times as much as a standard classic.

MDonziM
04-22-2011, 08:19 AM
this is what the forbes hornet tender looks like not a benchseat

http://www.thenewyorkscene.com/webready_forbes71506/ppages/ppage138.htm

There have been at least 3-4 Highlanders over the years, maby more, and many tenders. I am talking about 1980. The one in the link is the current Highlander which has a Hornet III and also has a 20' cig on board.

Christian
04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
This is better then cable TV. ... winning

pipnit
04-22-2011, 10:10 AM
This is better then cable TV. ... winning

I see the baiter (troll?) is very pleased with his results.

Strong work...

This thread does not suck. :boggled:

Greg Guimond
04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Buizilla may have had the longest "quote repost" I have ever seen :thewave:

joseph m. hahnl
04-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Not to Worry!! It's not the one you are!!!:rofl:

Greg Guimond
04-22-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm truly not trying to be a wise arse, but is it possible to summarize what exactly the push/pull is all about in a couple of sentences? http://planetsmilies.net/tired-sleeping-smiley-33.gif

roadtrip se
04-22-2011, 03:45 PM
This reminds me of a FB post thread that went back and forth a few weeks back amongst some friends here. I marveled at it because there were several Criterions and one really nice, one of a kind Blackhawk offered up for sale in the banter, not one of which has been offered for sale here or anywhere else, for that matter. Strange thing, and some may not like it, but it is what it is, and a lot of boats get sold in this manner, in this community.

My suggestion to those who want a very cool project, finished or unfinished, is to get involved in the community by meeting them at a few rallies, reach out to the folks who know where these boats may be hiding, and build some freindships along the way. Amazingly enough, your dream boat might appear.

If I were sitting on the mythical benchset hornet discussed in great detail here, there isn't much in this thread that would drive me to offer it up here.
I would just quietly wait until my buyer came along and the sale would probably occur without much fanfare or noise, and then somone would pop up later with a real nice boat.

Kind of the way it goes down in these parts.

mdonzi
04-22-2011, 03:56 PM
I THINK I WOULD HAVE GAVE THE OLD MAN 1050.00 FOR IT AND THEN SOLD IT TO BRAD FOR 15K PLUS HIS BENCHSEAT 18 YELLOW JACKET JUST BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A BENCHSEAT 18 WITH A BLOWN INJECTED 427 SIDE OILER WITH A JET DRIVE BUT HEY THATS JUST ME AND ITS GOOD FRIDAY AND IM BEEING NICE BUT ONE THING IS TRUE WE DO LOVE THE OLD BOATS :shark:

Greg Guimond
04-22-2011, 04:02 PM
All bold to boot.......I may have to read the whole thing and then go to confession.

Davidmnc
04-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Closed circuit TV 63263

Christian
04-26-2011, 09:09 PM
i wounder if this was it???

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2346684088.html

MOP
04-27-2011, 01:53 AM
i wounder if this was it???

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2346684088.html