PDA

View Full Version : Larry Smith Scarab - Not Mine

Greg Guimond
04-10-2011, 12:32 PM
1975 LARRY SMITH SCARAB – A CLASSIC 29.9 - $30000 (Rohnert Park)

Date: 2011-02-27, 11:48PM PST
Reply to: sale-n5mxd-2238534977@craigslist.org (sale-n5mxd-2238534977@craigslist.org?subject=1975%20LARRY%20S MITH%20SCARAB%20%96%20A%20CLASSIC%2029.9%20-%20%2430000%20(Rohnert%20Park)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Freno.craigslist.org%2Fboa% 2F2238534977.html%0A) [Errors when replying to ads? (http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/replying_to_posts)]

Here is the perfect Tahoe Boat with a touch of Nostalgia!! Want nice? Want clean? Then here it is. Hot Boat of the month for March 2005. 35 to 40 hrs on twin small blocks, 425 Hp with All the Good Stuff. This 1975 Scarab shows almost as new. It’s white & yellow original gel coat shines where you can see yourself. It’s definitely a Classic Prestigious boat. Serious buyers only!!! Needs to be seen to be appreciated! You will not be disappointed. 707-478-9092

lars
04-21-2011, 06:40 AM
Have been pre-occupied with family issues so I haven't talked to my friend Steve for quite some time. Will give him a call finally and see how things are with him and his time-warp treasure :wink:

lars
04-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Photos that is.

MDonziM
04-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Wow! That is clean looking. Nice classic lines.

DAULEY
04-21-2011, 06:35 PM
nice boat link dont work whats he askingand where is boat located

mrfixxall
04-21-2011, 06:37 PM
nice boat link dont work whats he askingand where is boat located
1975 LARRY SMITH SCARAB – A CLASSIC 29.9 - $30000 (Rohnert Park

lars
04-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Boat is located at Lake Berryessa in Napa County, California. Steve lives in Rohnert park, CA.
Steve was asking $49,000 for quite a long time. He always told me that if he was going to sell the boat it had to be to a good home, otherwise he'd keep her.
He hasn't made any serious effort to sell her lately. The current price of $30,000 has been advertised for about two years know, but that doesn't mean that he'd sell to just anybody, even if they'd offer him $40,000. Somebody else could the same day say that they unfortunately only could come up with $25,000 and he would be happy to let her go! You get the picture. Steve believes in care-taking, not ownership and he sure takes care of his things :yes:

Greg Guimond
04-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Lars, you have some cool friends out there! I have to say that if someone wanted a 30 footer I can't see anything that would be more interesting to own. I also like the small block power package and the deck lines are some of the nicest in any length. I really like the colors. Not often you can buy a "new" 35 year old freshwater time capsule from an open wallet owner :yes:

smidgen too
04-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Is that the old PURE INSANITY ? Larry Smith built some of the best race & pleasure boats. If it was a Scarab race boat Larry Smith built them not Wellcraft.

mdonzi
04-22-2011, 01:00 PM
she is one sweet boat love the deck on her

lars
04-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Is that the old PURE INSANITY ? Larry Smith built some of the best race & pleasure boats. If it was a Scarab race boat Larry Smith built them not Wellcraft.

I owned the 1976 Pure Insanity P-38. It was originally built for and raced by re-known offshore racer Jeff Brown. He won the Production Class National Championship in that boat and after that Larry Smith and John Connor got her back and used her as a test mule for the Kaama drives. It later had great success being campaigned by Don Noble of Mission Viejo, CA and among other things had the World Speed Record in it's class.

The 1979 Larry Smith Scarab 9 Meter, P-38 Pure Insanity II, You show in Your wonderful photos is the boat Mr. Smith built next for Jeff Brown in Kevlar 49. Mr. Brown raced her with great success too, (as can be seen in the photo), and the boat is still in fantastic condition and owned by a very nice knowledgeable Gentleman in California and is actually running mid 90's with TRS drives. Here's a photo of her that the current owner graciously provided me with a couple of years back.

Hope to meet Mr. Larry Smith as usual at the Newport Boat Show next weekend and find out about his latest projects. He is a Living Legend still inventing remarkable marine solutions that will benefit Us All for years to come.

BUIZILLA
04-22-2011, 04:55 PM
the same Jeff Brown of Jackson Hole WY?

if so, my brother and him are in his private jet right now flying here, due in 1 hr- 10 minutes

lars
04-22-2011, 04:59 PM
This is the link to what turned out to be a painful selling experience of my 'Pure Insanity' Team Scarab on eBay. Only posting this for the purpose of showing a few photos of her glory days and the 9 Meter model, since a few of You fellows like the look and history of Mr. Larry Smith's boat designs.

Link; http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60754

lars
04-22-2011, 05:06 PM
the same Jeff Brown of Jackson Hole WY?

if so, my brother and him are in his private jet right now flying here, due in 1 hr- 10 minutes

You bet Jim :wink: Small world, but 'birds of the feather'...

Never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Brown myself, but hopefully We'll meet one day and I get to hear a few stories from his remarkable Offshore Racing days. All the best to You Jim and I hope the Critter gets some exercise from time to time.

BUIZILLA
04-22-2011, 10:11 PM
considering Mr Brown owns the rights to virtually ALL of the jet fuel sold in western WY, I think he knos where his lunch comes from...

Conquistador_del_mar
04-22-2011, 11:08 PM
I owned the 1976 Pure Insanity P-38. It was originally built for and raced by re-known offshore racer Jeff Brown. He won the Production Class National Championship in that boat and after that Larry Smith and John Connor got her back and used her as a test mule for the Kaama drives. It later had great success being campaigned by Don Noble of Mission Viejo, CA and among other things had the World Speed Record in it's class.

The 1979 Larry Smith Scarab 9 Meter, P-38 Pure Insanity II, You show in Your wonderful photos is the boat Mr. Smith built next for Jeff Brown in Kevlar 49. Mr. Brown raced her with great success too, (as can be seen in the photo), and the boat is still in fantastic condition and owned by a very nice knowledgeable Gentleman in California and is actually running mid 90's with TRS drives. Here's a photo of her that the current owner graciously provided me with a couple of years back.

Hope to meet Mr. Larry Smith as usual at the Newport Boat Show next weekend and find out about his latest projects. He is a Living Legend still inventing remarkable marine solutions that will benefit Us All for years to come.

Lars,
It is great seeing you post on the Donzi site again. Recently, I was actually wondering how you were doing. Any projects you are presently working? I still have your name on the Eliminator if it goes up for sale - :bonk:. Are you still thinking about moving?

Back to the thread - what a fabulous boat!! :yes: Bill

Greg Guimond
04-23-2011, 08:19 AM
I agree, nice to see you back Lars. That is a super cool shot of the 207 boat!