PDA

View Full Version : 1982 22' Donzi (mine)

HOWARD O
04-08-2011, 10:53 AM
:shocking: I hate selling stuff, especially this!
1982 22’ Donzi, TRS 454/330, Dana exhaust. $11,500.
I bought this boat from Joe (screen name Cuda) at the end of 2008 and have enjoyed it very much. But plans change and I am regrettably selling her. Joe had just completed a whole bunch of stuff, including the Dana exhaust, proper rebuild of the Merctrans tranny fortified with the extra clutch plates, NEW fuel tank, etc., prior to my purchase. It also has a good sea strainer and a water hose connection for convenience on the trailer. Since owning it, I’ve added new bilt-rite blue cockpit carpet, new carb, new Pertronix marine distributor/ignition, Bennett tabs, elec. fuel flow meter (navman type), a nice Garmin chartplotter. It runs well, no issues with the engine, tranny or the outdrive. She’ll still get up past 60 mph no problem. I also fixed up the tandem steel trailer some with new bunks, new wiring/lights and a paint job. The rusted out drum brakes are no longer. I would call the trailer useable and “serviceable”. I haven’t repacked the bearings but after doing that, I wouldn’t have any hesitation trailering the boat long distance.

I have a wish list if I were to keep her. Interior will need redone, although it’s fine and comfortable right now. The buckets are original and while they aren’t torn up or anything, the foam is tired in them and I would’ve like to had completely new buckets made.....they are wood framed and weigh a ton. Would redo backseat cushions too, although there’s real no issues with them other than age. The cockpit coaming upholstery needs redone too. Windshield has a crack or two in it and it’s all crazed or chequed (sp?) when you look at it from certain angles. Looks fine from a distance. I was going to see about removing it entirely, but it’s not unsightly and fine the way it is. There is plenty left of the original gel to work with on the deck and hull and the entire boat would benefit from a total wet sanding and polishing. I polished it last year and it came up beautifully, but the haze comes back because I didn’t wet sand it. That WAS to be my spring project. Rub rail has a couple of scrapes at the bow, but it’s in nice, shiney shape. Everything works on the boat except the trim sensors and the “up” part of the up/down switch. To bring up, I have been using the “trailer” button. Gauges are original (except tach) and all work . Hope I haven’t missed anything. You don’t have to do anything to the boat to enjoy it right now though. There is no engine meter, so no idea on operating hours.

Boat is stored on my covered lift in my backyard and I’ll be putting it on the trailer this weekend to give it a good cleaning. I do have title to boat in hand. Never registered/titled the trailer, so that’s the buyer’s problem. Best I can do there is a bill of sale. Boat is presentable, dependable and a nice way to get into a 22’ without breaking the bank! If you search either my name or Cuda, you’ll see a gillion other photos and about anything you’d want to know about this boat.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions! I am in New Bern, NC, which is near the coast about midway up the state. I’ll take some current photos sometime this weekend when it’s in the driveway.
Thanks for looking.....
Howard

richard011
04-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Hello ,I am interested very much in your donzi and would like to see some more pics.I am in knoxville,TN and have been looking for a classic.If the new pics look good I can drive over next weekend and pick her up. I will gladly pay deposit if we get to that point. Thanks Richard:wink:

HOWARD O
04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi, Richard. That sounds great.

I'm embarrassed and apologize that I haven't posted more photos. I wanted to take photos after I washed her up but I haven't put the boat on the trailer just yet. BUT, I will do that tomorrow and get some photos posted by tomorrow night!

Thanks,

Howard

HOWARD O
04-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Here are some fun photos before I take some current ones today. This was a visit from my brother, Registry member Dave Ochs and owner of one very fine 1969 16' Donzi.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58319&d=1283120723
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58318&d=1283120723

HOWARD O
04-14-2011, 06:37 AM
Some from this past November. Thank you to fellow Registry member Tom Smith for snapping these while giving his visiting family a ride this past November!

HOWARD O
04-14-2011, 06:39 AM
Lastly, a couple snaps of me and my bride out for dinner on a warm November day.

HOWARD O
04-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Got her on the trailer and cleaned up. Much to my dismay, I discovered the tilt motor is not functioning. I get a click on both solenoids, so I guess I'll be taking a look at that tomorrow. Naturally happens when I am wanting to sell the boat!

Anyway, here are some basic photos and these are without seats/upholstery. A close up of the bow where there are a couple of scrapes. It looks worse in the photo, actually. Oh, I did state all the gauges function. Well, the speedo doesn't function as I've never had a pitot tube connected. I use the GPS anyway.

edit: Looking at the photos, I see what look like grey spots in some of the white areas of the deck. Those don't exist, something is wrong with the camera and/or I am not using it properly!

HOWARD O
04-14-2011, 03:58 PM
A couple more of the engine. All I did was wash and dry the boat, no polishing. Most looks good except the transom, as that has some sun exposure on the boat lift in the afternoon.

richard011
04-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Howard will you take 10 gs for her? If so I will send cashier check for 5 now and set up a time I can get there to pick up and bring the balance.(cash)You can reach me at 888-289-9992 Richard:crossfing:

HOWARD O
04-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Hi Richard,

Thanks, I'll phone you in the early afternoon today. :yes:

Howard

HOWARD O
04-17-2011, 07:48 PM
I believe a deal has been struck on my boat. Thanks to all that inquired about it, but first come was first served. Trying to prepare myself for being Donzi-less again but another is sure to come!

Upon payment for the boat, big donation (for me anyway) to the Registry! :yes:

donzidon
04-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Good deal! Looks like a nice boat at a very fair price.

Tom Smith
04-23-2011, 10:07 AM
That is a hell of a good deal for that boat. I have been in her many times and it is one sweet riding boat. Loaded with 5 adults, we were crusing down the Trent River one day at at 62mph. Nice ride, and I will be sorry to see her go. I'll be all alone now on the Neuse and Trent Rivers with my 1967 Barrelback 18' 2+3. Holman Moody powered, of course. Tom Smith

richard011
04-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Howard,
Thank You for selling me your 22 classic it is everything you said it is and more.Burned through 45 gallons of fuel first day and the boat was beautiful!!!!!!Trying to decide if I should buy food to eat or fuel to play????FUEL WINS......should I say more!!!I have owned many boats including a sweet 16 that was awesome, but always wanted a 22 Classic and it was worth the wait. Thanks Richard:kingme:

HOWARD O
04-26-2011, 04:27 PM
:kingme::kingme::kingme::kingme::kingme:

Richard, I got your voice mail and am really glad you're pleased with the boat! I am glad to see it go to someone that will give it the justice it deserves.

I really invite you to make use of this website. There are so many knowledgeable Donzi gurus here and for anything you want to do to your new boat, someone here has already done it at least once.

Anyway, I hope to make it over to Knoxville this summer and pay you a visit!

Have fun and burn some more gas! :yes::yes::yes:

Howard