PDA

View Full Version : AutoMeter Rocks!

300EVIL
04-08-2011, 01:04 AM
So, I had an old AutoMeter tachometer that came with some other stuff I bought on ebay. The tach was pretty beat up, scratched and non functional. I needed a new tach for my boat and really like AutoMeter gauges so, I went ahead and sent it into them for repair.

I figured they'd come back to me with a $20-$50 bill to get it fixed. To my amazement, (less than a week after I sent it) the tach shows up on my door step. Not only is it fixed but it has a new bezel, glass, dial, most likely new guts and a complete wiring harness! :shades:

I look at the invoice and it says $0.00! :kingme: It's a $130 tach brand new.

The only thing I can see original on this tach is the back housing. Everything else looks brand new and it works too! Now, I don't expect it's this way with every repair sent into AutoMeter but even if they charged me $30-$40, it's totally worth it. My tach was built in 95 and they fixed it like it was still under warranty. I just wanted to share my experience with the great customer service I received from AutoMeter. I exclusively use their stuff in my race cars and will continue to do so for my boat and other projects.

I wish I took a before pic but here is a pic of the gauge I got back from them.

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t321/hightechstuff2/SAM_1287.jpg

Just Say N20
04-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Great story. Thanks for posting it.

Bennett is another company that I can't say enough good about. They go out of their way to provide outstanding customer service.

cutwater
04-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Wow! That's service. You gotta stick with a company who stands behind their products. Thanks for posting :wink:

300EVIL
04-08-2011, 08:12 PM

Bennett is another company that I can't say enough good about. They go out of their way to provide outstanding customer service.

Yeah, Bennett trim tabs do look nice. I'd like to eventually add these to my vessel. The price doesn't seem unreasonable for what you get. Do you have the automatic or manual adjust?

Wow! That's service. You gotta stick with a company who stands behind their products. Thanks for posting :wink:

Heck yes! They offer a 30 day limited warranty but they are obviously willing to stretch that out to over 16 years!!! :shades: Thanks for your comments.

Just Say N20
04-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I have manual. My boat is only 16' and I don't know that the automatic ones would work well with such a small, tippy boat.

300EVIL
04-08-2011, 08:55 PM
I have manual. My boat is only 16' and I don't know that the automatic ones would work well with such a small, tippy boat.

Gotcha, I'd probably go with manual myself. How do you like it? Seen any improvement in MPH?

f_inscreenname
04-09-2011, 11:53 AM

I second the great story and will keep autometer in my list of companies to do business with.
I have a similar story with Beede gages. Bought a Sync gage off of eBay and contacted them about getting a bezel that matched the rest of my gages. All they wanted was my address. I offered to pay but they didn't even want postage. Good New England company.

Bennett.... no words I can say would do them justice. Ripped off a trim tab and ram jumping tug boat wakes. Nothing but broken off screws left on the boats port side. Just was looking for the parts to fix it I contacted them. They sent me everything that went on the transom for both tabs. A new set of upgraded tabs, rams, all the hardware, etc, etc. They did ask me to send back the "defective" parts. I told them all I had was parts of a couple screws. Good enough, so I did. Cost, nothing but the postage stamp for the returned screws.
Oh, and the system was 20+ years old and came with a boat I bought off of eBay (I did tell them to). It didn't matter.

Buddyc
04-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Its refreshing to hear that there are still some companys still in it for the long haul and stand behind and believe in thier products. For that reason I will use them for my 18 resto... Thanks for a great story and indorsement

Just Say N20
04-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Gotcha, I'd probably go with manual myself. How do you like it? Seen any improvement in MPH?

I installed the tabs as part of a 2+ year restoration/renovation I have been doing, so I have not yet run the boat with the tabs. Soon.

I installed them because my first 18 had them, second didn't and I added them with much improvement, so I decided to add them to the 16.

My signature picture shows a tab. I decided to do it differently, and mount them horizontally, rather than follow the hull shape. I don't know if this will make a difference in anything, but I decided to try it this way.

Carl C
04-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Livorsi wants (ttbomk) $70 to reseal a speedo that started leaking after 1 year. If the time ever comes to replace all the gauges guess which ones I'll be buying :). Ditto on the Bennett CS BTW.

yeller
04-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Livorsi wants (ttbomk) $70 to reseal a speedo that started leaking after 1 year. If the time ever comes to replace all the gauges guess which ones I'll be buying :). Ditto on the Bennett CS BTW.$80. Just had it done. Mine started leaking in year 2. No discount even though I ordered $350 worth of extra parts/labour.

Bennett....on the other hand, replaced my 5yr old rocker switches for free.