PDA

View Full Version : Engine/Drive Alignment Question

Carl C
04-06-2011, 08:12 AM
I pulled my drive for maintenance and to check alignment. Side to side alignment is off visibly about 1/16 - 1/8 " and slightly off up and down. This is after two seasons of running with the 525/XR. The two inner o-rings on the input shaft are broken and mangled. U-joints seem good. Gimbal bearing is good. Still greasy and smooth and fully seated. Coupler is not warped. I rechecked alignment after rotating engine 180* and it was the same. I am using the 2 piece ITS alignment tool which lets you see the misalignment with just the bar in place. I don't know why the alignment is off but I don't think anything is wrong. The engine may have simply moved since I have to check all motor mount bolts frequently.

Anyway....I thought it would be pretty easy to loosen the four motor mount bolts and slide the engine over slightly to starboard but it is a beotch to move. Today I will loosen the rear two engine mount bolts and attach the cherry picker to the engine to get the weight off the mounts and try to move it over. Does all this sound right? Is this how it has to be done? The up and down adjustment is simple and isn't off much at all.

MOP
04-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Carl you are putting out a lot more torque then before, I would switch to solid mounts. Reason being is the engine tends to lean hard to one side under power the rubber mounts allows this throwing it out of line. You can buy hard mounts that just replace exactly what you have, you will extend the life of your coupler 10 fold.

Phil

Carl C
04-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Carl you are putting out a lot more torque then before, I would switch to solid mounts. Reason being is the engine tends to lean hard to one side under power the rubber mounts allows this throwing it out of line. You can buy hard mounts that just replace exactly what you have, you will extend the life of your coupler 10 fold.

Phil

Phil, I think I might look into having Brian make me a solid cradle after this season. I got it aligned as I said with the cherry picker. Drive slid completely in super easy!! Yay! Alignment is spot on. Put sticky grease on splines and marine grease in gimbal bearing. Just need to fill it up with the Quiksilver high performance gear oil. :)

MOP
04-06-2011, 07:47 PM
These will help and inexpensive! http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/2280013593.html

Carl C
04-06-2011, 07:51 PM
These will help and inexpensive! http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/2280013593.html

I just spent all day getting it right with the old mounts!! I'll kick it around but now I'm sore from climbing in and out of the engine room about 30 times.