PDA

View Full Version : 18 c chevy small block oil pan

jstokes8407
04-05-2011, 06:51 PM
replacing mine I'm thinking of going with an aluminum 1 with baffels. Is that the way 2 go or should i stick with an original ? I'm in the process of pulling the motor now.

MOP
04-05-2011, 06:54 PM
I have been using an aluminum one for quite awhile, along with a windage tray which I feel is important in a boat.

Phil

mphatc
04-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Having just spent alot of effort researching this exact need for the 2 383 engines for my Magnum 27 . . here's what I learned.
Larger capacity is a bonus. For the SBC there are no selections for something greater than 6 quarts in aluminum that also offer a baffle and windage tray.
Canton makes marine SBC pans, but these are full depth front to back. These are baffled, and with windage trays. But our boats aften spend time with the bow to the sky . . and also level running . . I selected a Canton 7 qt. road racing pan, tee bottom, fully baffled with windage tray and scraper.
Don't buy a cheap Ebay pan, I tried that years ago, they don't seal and the metal is thin.
The Canton pan is cad plated, but this is inadequete for a boat. I sanded them down and epoxy primed then painted in base coat and 2 coats clear.
Make certain you acquire the correct pick up to match the pan with the pump.
Mario L.

wagspe208
04-08-2011, 11:54 PM
You don't have depth issues, do you... depth of the pan? Many drag pans have higher capacities. Stefs rocks. If v-drive, your choices are much more limited in small blocks.
Wags