PDA

View Full Version : Some help on a 22 Classic

rrleggat
04-04-2011, 12:26 AM
I have been a member here for a while and love Donzi's and am looking to get into my first 22 Classic! I am looking at a 2000 22C Red/White with approx 80 hours in NY (Long Island Area).

Comes with a trailer and used in salt water. Has the 454 MPI.

Needs a good clean up. A few Questions:

Are these engines closed cooling and should I be concerned with the salt water use?

What speeds can I expect?

Any issues with the 2000 model year?

What price range is expected.

Any help is appreciated in advance!
Rob

CHACHI
04-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Mop, where are you?

Ken

mrfixxall
04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I have been a member here for a while and love Donzi's and am looking to get into my first 22 Classic! I am looking at a 2000 22C Red/White with approx 80 hours in NY (Long Island Area).

Comes with a trailer and used in salt water. Has the 454 MPI.

Needs a good clean up. A few Questions:

Are these engines closed cooling and should I be concerned with the salt water use?

What speeds can I expect?

Any issues with the 2000 model year?

What price range is expected.

Any help is appreciated in advance!
Rob

if the boat needs a good cleaning that should tell you the condition of the engine, it probably has never been flushed with clean water so ??..It would be hard to tell with out seeing pic's of it..

zelatore
04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Most likely raw water cooled.

Some pics would help a lot. The more the better. I hesitate to hazard a guess at price without seeing the boat, or at least pics. If I was forced to pic a number, I guess I'd go with $20K.

Subject to revision!

For speeds, I'd say that package should see upper 60s. Let's call it 68. That should be fairly close.

silverghost
04-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Does the engine have a fresh water antifreeze heat exchanger cooling system ?
Look for a big long cylinder shaped unit with a radiator style cap with antifreeze inside. it is usually located on top of the engine.
If it does not have one, and sadly most do not, it is raw saltwater cooled~~~
Then you must dig & inspect the engine much closer.
If the engine has such a half fresh water cooling system your basic engine should be OK.
The exhaust manifolds are another question?
The iron manifolds typically last 5-7 years in saltwater use. Not a really big issue.
To check the engine for rust~
You can also pull-off the top front located thermostat housing, and look for rust in the water outlet of the engine's intake manifold.
With extended use in saltwater~~~ rust first appears, and is usually worst in the highest water outlet points on an engine.
Intake manifold water outlet, then next the front water outlets of cylinder heads.
...Iron exhaust manifods typically only last 5-7 years with raw salt water use.
A few photos of the engine might help us see what you are looking at there.

A Donzi 22 is a specacular boat.
BUT~~~
You need to look closer at that 454 Chevy engine to determine it's condition.

Good Luck !

mrfixxall
04-04-2011, 04:18 PM
if its the one on ebay look for cracks under and around the engine in the hull..

rrleggat
04-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Here are some pics of the boat.

Thanks for the responses so far. Any help is greatly appreciated!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DONZI-Classic-22-low-hours_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26itu Q3dUCIQ26otnQ3d3Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d82 25882184285415444QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQcategoryZ63 686QQitemZ280652234751

ralph crocker
04-04-2011, 05:39 PM
I got my first 22 last year. It is a 1984 fresh 454 mildy built with trs does 67 GPS. Freshwater only. It is beautiful I paid 14 on a matching trailer all in great shape. I too would be concerned if someone does not take cosmetic care of their boat it is unlikely they were on top of mechanicals. Although no experience directly with saltwater and even if flushed well it shortens motor and drive life according to my old boat racing pals. You could be into many $ if someone gets into it and finds problems particularly if manifolds in bad shape.
In that this is not a forum members ad I think I am in line to voice my concern.
I would suggest patience and a great one will show up on this forum. I had never been in a performance boat am 66 and absolutely thrilled with my 22. It is like a piece of art to me.
I don't remember the years but the Donzi company has been sold a few times and I am told there are manufacturer years to avoid.

Good Luck/Great ones at fair pricing are out there and it is a buyers market.

silverghost
04-04-2011, 06:02 PM
The marine exhaust manifods are not the real BIG issue here in my opinion. New replacment manifolds & riser elbows can be bought for fairly reasonable money.
~~~That said~~~the real issue is engine condition for an older boat used in corrosive salt water conditions for years.
Saltwater really takes a toll on an engine.
I have been boating in saltwater all my life.
My boats spend 5-6 months sitting in saltwater.
I urge you, or a good mechanic, to inspect this old chevy 454 before you buy the boat.
Ask the owner/seller if you can do this.
Run the engine,
Take a test run if possible.
Do a compression & leak-down test.
Check the areas I above memtioned for internal waterjacket rust at the thermostat/intake manifold opening.
The engine may be OK~~~
or it may be near the end of it's servive life due to rust.
If the boat itself looks neglected cosmetically you can sure bet the engine was also.
If the engine was indeed flushed & the boat did not just sit for long periods in saltwater it might be great.
80 hours is not much engine run time at all.
It may be fine indeed.
You must inspect it to really confirm what the seller is telling you~~~unless you know the boat's owner well & can trust that what he is in fact saying is true.
Those Mercruiser outdrives are usually bullet-proof as not very much damages them !
I drove in salt water for 15 years~~~
The boat's new owner has added another 5 years with no issues at all.
But I had freshwater closed cooling with antifreeze in my engine.
I am not a big fan of buying boats on ebay sight unseen~~~without a close-up hands on inspection.
That said ~~~People buy boats on ebay all the time.
There are many great Donzi 22s for sale out there.
And as has be mentioned~~~It is a buyer's market due to the poor economy & high gasoline prices.

fogducker III
04-04-2011, 06:23 PM
I will bet my youngest child that the boat has more then 80 hours on it.........:yes:

Look at the wear and crap on just the steering wheel alone. The boat has been put away wet and dirty numerous times, just the bilge tells you that.

IMO the buy it now price for that is way high......also, 385hp, not sure where the seller, who looks like he flips car parts on Ebay, came up with 396hp...?

There are far better boats for less money out there, good luck with your search.....:wink:

silverghost
04-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Without ever seeing this boat in person I tend to agree with everything fogducker III is telling you.
I have that very same gut feeling !

Try find a better maintained boat~~~
They are out there for sale. Possibly for less money ?

rrleggat
04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
I think I can pick this up for under 20k if that means anything at that price. Is there a price where this would be a good deal? Do 2000's have hour meters?

fogducker III
04-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I think I can pick this up for under 20k if that means anything at that price. Is there a price where this would be a good deal? Do 2000's have hour meters?

You can get the hours off the ECM......I think what some of us are saying is the boat is a "gamble" at any price.....personally, if I had $20.000 in my pocket I would be looking at other boats....:)

mrfixxall
04-04-2011, 07:01 PM

if you win the bid make sure you have it surveyed by a merc master tech with a merc scanner so he can pull up the hours with it..

fogducker III
04-04-2011, 07:12 PM
if you win the bid make sure you have it surveyed by a merc master tech with a merc scanner so he can pull up the hours with it..

If he wins the bid it won't matter, he bought the boat....:wink:

mike o
04-04-2011, 08:01 PM
if you win the bid make sure you have it surveyed by a merc master tech with a merc scanner so he can pull up the hours with it..A "perfect" 2000 22C with 80 "proven" hrs on that trailer is worth 20k all day. Like Fix said, have it checked out first for sure. Soap is cheap

yeller
04-05-2011, 01:34 PM
I'll bet Fogducker's youngest child, wife, and house that the boat has more than 80hrs. :yes: That boat was not taken care of.

The request for an Immediate, Non-Refundable deposit would be enough for me to back away. You should be allowed a few days grace period in order to get the boat inspected.

fogducker III
04-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I'll bet Fogducker's youngest child, wife, and house that the boat has more than 80hrs. :yes: That boat was not taken care of.

The request for an Immediate, Non-Refundable deposit would be enough for me to back away. You should be allowed a few days grace period in order to get the boat inspected.

HEY.....the kid and wife but not the house....:nilly::wink:

stormrider
04-05-2011, 02:12 PM
I don't like the fact that he couldn't even clean it properly for the pics for the ad. There is also pics of some wiring that looks shoddy.
I mean, come on... you can't even try to make this look great for the ad?:shocking:

Too many nice boats out there, I'd pass.
Salt water doesn't scare me at all, as long as the owner is meticulous.
I'd rather have a salt water boat that was properly taken care of, than a fresh water beater.

stormrider
04-05-2011, 02:16 PM
From this site... shows nicely in the pics, closed cooled but asking more $$. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63421&page=2
The right way to do an ad!

Here's another 22C from here...http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64815

Inferno
04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Rob, Before I let $25,000.00 get out of my pocket I would go to NY with someone who knows boats.I once had a date with a girl who was a model. My friend set me up and she looked like a 10. She came to my home and my attack dog ran away !!! She was butt ugly. My advice is go see it yourself before any money is transfered.I purchased my 1994 that was in a heated garage in Lake George. You could eat off the engine for $15,000.00,before the economy went south. There alot of questions to be answered for a 12 year old boat with only 80 hours that a grandmother only drove to be worth over $25,000.00 in todays market !!! Good luck

LuauLounge
04-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Same boat as on Ebay, advertised in Toronto

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/boa/2297436092.html

Tidbart
04-05-2011, 07:02 PM

That is interesting.:boggled:

I would reply and buy it off the Craigslist ad. 16 and change is a good price.:)

Tidbart
04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Bet the ebay reserve is 16400. Ignore the buy it now price. That is for a sucker.

inlander
04-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Saw the two ads (eBay and Craigslist) and noticed the discrepancy between the reserve price on eBay and the the Craigs ad. Contacted the so-called seller of the boat listed on Craigslist. Once I got the reply, I sent him my purchase conditions.

My email conversation:

Hello
Could you provide me a phone number so we can discuss this boat?
Thanks

Hi,
This boat is in perfect working condition, the interior and exterior look great,no leaks,no dents,no rust.
It hasn't been in any accidents, the title is clean and clear. The shipping is included in the boat price. I am letting it go because I've moved to Greece and importing it here it's too much. It is currently in Hazelton.BC in custody of the shipping company, ready to be delivered to it's new owner. I want to use eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection to close the deal because it is the safest way for both parties under these conditions. Let me know what you think!

Hello
I am definitely interested in this boat. I saw it on Ebay, but saw your ad on Craigslist first. I will purchase the boat, but first I must have your bank account number, so that I can wire the necessary funds. Please provide your full address, phone number, address of shipping company, as well as a copy of the title, at which time funds will be wired immediately. You must understand my position. With all the low lifers out there that prey on honest hard working people, trying to scam their hard earned dollars out of their pockets, one cannot be too careful.
Thank you.

Me thinks, eBay ad good...Craigslist Bad!:lookaroun:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.donzi.net/forums/report.php?p=596532) http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/misc/progress.gif http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.donzi.net/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=596532)

Tidbart
04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Email the guy on Ebay and see if you get the same response.:wink:

badbird
04-05-2011, 08:27 PM
I also email the craigs list ad,to good to be true :confused:

I say super SCAM !!!!!

Inferno
04-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I say RUN....and thats run away from this SCAM !!!!