PDA

View Full Version : Bearing noise in drive or motor??

Planetwarmer
04-03-2011, 10:07 PM
I noticed a "roar" when I started the boat yesterday. The boat ran fine, wasn't down on power, but as my wife described it, it sounds like a squadron of fighter jets off in the distance. I replaced the gimble bearing last year, so I don't think its that.

The sound resonates throughout the hull, so it makes it very difficult to identify where it is coming from.

Any ideas on narrowing this down would be greatly appreciated. Can I take the drive off and run the motor w/o screwing anything up? I figured that would help to rule out the motor or drive.

I have the 1987 454/Alpha 1 combo.

Thanks.

gcarter
04-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Can I take the drive off and run the motor w/o screwing anything up? I figured that would help to rule out the motor or drive.

I have the 1987 454/Alpha 1 combo.

Thanks.

Yes.
SEI has new drives w/a three year warranty at very good prices.

HOWARD O
04-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Water pump maybe??? Although that's usually a squeal.

Does it make the sound both in and out of gear? Turning? Does it go away?

HOWARD O
04-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes.
SEI has new drives w/a three year warranty at very good prices.

Dang George, selling him on a new drive already? I assume you're not real confident in the alpha/BBC setup?

gcarter
04-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Dang George, selling him on a new drive already? I assume you're not real confident in the alpha/BBC setup?

Apparently this one lasted a long time, but they all get tired after awhile.
And repairing them is pretty expensive.

thriller
04-04-2011, 12:09 AM
If you turn the wheel and it goes away or gets worse, What is It? and what is SEi George?

Planetwarmer
04-04-2011, 12:19 AM
When I turn the wheel, the noise changes slightly. This is why I am thinking it may be the drive.

If I take the drive off, I wont have any water going to the motor. I guess as long as I dont run the motor long enough to overheat it, it should be fine?

Planetwarmer
04-04-2011, 01:13 AM
I noticed some rust on the race and bearing under the top cap. I bet that is where the howl is coming from if its a bearing. Do you have to replace the cap, or can you remove the race from the cap? I cant remember.

MOP
04-04-2011, 02:38 AM
A rusty bearing will self destruct pretty quick, there is a lot of load in the upper which makes it worse. Shards of the bearing raise kane with the gears.

LKSD
04-04-2011, 06:28 AM
I'm going to guess Gimble bearing in the transom assembly.. If so check your boots too.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

hdsadey
04-04-2011, 07:36 AM
The race comes out of the top cap, its a real pain in the ass to grab ahold of it to remove, goes back in easy. Becareful not to damage the shims that are behind the race you will need them to go back together.

gcarter
04-04-2011, 07:49 AM
If you turn the wheel and it goes away or gets worse, What is It? and what is SEi George?

http://www.sterndrive.cc/index.htm

mrfixxall
04-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Remove the drive,check the u joints for Greece,if they look fine then pull the top cap and take a look at the nut that is attached to the yoke that the u joints are attached to..that nut that is attached to the yoke goes through the bearing pack comes loose,i have seen it on several occasions..with the top cap off look at the nut,grab the yoke and u joint assembly and see if you can move it up and down,if it moves then it will need to come apart and may also need a bearing pack..

silverghost
04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
You mention rust on the bearing race~~~
Did you check your drive's lube oil for any possible water contamination ?
That may help others here give you a better clue as to what is possibly happening ?

Planetwarmer
04-04-2011, 05:22 PM
I replaced the gimble bearing last year. The drive oil looked good. The rust was more pitting in the race than anything. I could see where the bearings were on the race for a length of time. I'll pull the cap off and check the slop in the bearing pack. I guess Ill pull the drive and start the motor and see if that solves the noise issue as well.

gcarter
04-04-2011, 06:06 PM
You can hold a water hose against the water passage in the bell housing, I guess, while you run the engine.
Maybe you could have a friend hold it.

Rumblefish
04-04-2011, 06:36 PM
You mentioned the noise when you started the engine.. not in gear? If you ment underway..

The Gimble Bearing haunted me one time and it was in turns that it would really increase and humn in negative trim for take off .. this was after 5 hrs of driving on a new Gimble bearing. (just the bearing not the whole cartrdige)

it was in backwards.and could not get grease so you may want to check that..

Just a thought

Planetwarmer
04-04-2011, 09:29 PM
It sounds the same if in gear or in neutral. I guess the upper spins all the time, while the engine is running, whether in gear or not.

MOP
04-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Have you checked the oil since you noticed the noise? My guess is still internal in the drive.

joseph m. hahnl
04-06-2011, 07:43 PM
I replaced the gimble bearing last year. The drive oil looked good. The rust was more pitting in the race than anything. I could see where the bearings were on the race for a length of time. I'll pull the cap off and check the slop in the bearing pack. I guess Ill pull the drive and start the motor and see if that solves the noise issue as well.

one thing you need to be careful of,is the rubber exhaust hoses.They will melt if you let it run to long with out water.

Did you replace the gimble bellows when you replaced the bearing? Leaking water through the bellows on the bearing will cause it to fail. New or old, water doesn't discriminate.:boggled:

Planetwarmer
04-07-2011, 02:28 AM
New oil, old rubber. No leaks though.