PDA

View Full Version : VOLVO PENTA 280-B for sale

tonysteele
04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi Guys, I am a new member to the club and I have a nice VP 280-B drive complete for sale. This was removed from my 1981 23' Eliminator last fall to make way for a new 1000 HP BLOWER MOTOR and IMCO DRIVE. Hope someone can make good use of the 280 asit was in very good condition when removed. I will be posting photos of the new ride when complete. Any questions please call 508-852-2259 Thanks Tony Steele

fogducker III
04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Welcome, a price will help.....:wink:

silverghost
04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Tony~~~
Please post a price & your location.
I may have some real interest.
I assume this is a Chevy bellhousing ?

MOP
04-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Man that stuff is cherry, I just spoke to Tony he will be up for pricing shortly.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I bought the drive on Ebay, but if no one buys the 280T transom assembly, I told Tony that I would buy it. Many of you guys need this trimmable assembly so I am letting you have first shot at it. I only bought the drive so I can sell another speedmaster e-drive off my 1971 Donzi. I really am not looking for absolute speed with the 1971 - just a nice cruise. Here is his link: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/beanspeed/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562 Bill

silverghost
04-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Bill~~~
I just got off the phone with Tony~~~Great Guy .
He & I were not yet aware during our conversation that the drive already sold on ebay.
I logged on back here to take another last look at this package before using the "Buy It Now" on ebay to buy the complete drive package.
I then saw your above post~~~
That's OK ~~~
Glad you got it~~~
Sure looks very clean to me.
Glad you bought the drive.
I have been looking to buy a complete Volvo outdrive package~~~not just the transom & inner unit & bellhousing~~
My old 270 on my benchseat 18 project is a rusty saltwater mess good ony as parts.
The projects 40 year old Volvo 270 is basically just a pile of old scrap .
It's trashed !
I need a complete Volvo 280-B "T" tilt style outdrve assembly.
Bill~~~
You might just as well buy the rest of this package now.
I want to buy a compelte 280 B / "T" take-off drive package from the chevy bellhousing aft .
Since I am not a Volvo guy this is a better option for me. I don't want to have to hunt around for any possible small hard to find missing drive parts.
I need a complete package.

I had already talked just a few moments ago to Tony about flying our family's Super King Air Tuboprop up to a local airport near Tony and picking-up the entire drive. Tony said he could have picked me up at the local private FBO airfield .
Tony only later told me he listed it on ebay very late in our 58 min conversation.
I posted here earlier in the day.
Had I known before this moment that he had posted it on ebay in two seperate auctions I would not have bothered considering buying it at all~~~
I just wasted my time !

I am moving on with my complete Volvo 280-B "T" search !

When you snoose~~~
You loose~~~

Congrats !
Good luck with your future "E" drive "Fiip-It " Sale~~~
You say you have several of these "E" drives sittng around~~~

As for me~~~
My complete 40 year old Volvo 270 is trashed beyond any practical repair~~~
I NEED a complete 280-B "T" drive assembly~~~

I am in this benchseat 18 project purely as a boat-building & restortion hobby~~~

AND~~~
NOT~~~ to make big money "Flipping" old & valuable rare "E" drive parts I just have sitting around !

Conquistador_del_mar
04-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Congrats !
Good luck with your future "E" drive "Fiip" Sale~~~
You say you have several of these sittng around~~~

As for me~~~
I am in this benchseat 18 project purely as a boat-building & restortion hobby~~~

AND~~~
NOT~~~ to make big money "Flipping" old & valuable rare "E" drive parts !

I thought "flipping" was used as a derogatory term for buying something and turning around to sell it for a quick profit. Not that I personally have a problem with someone making money at something they buy. However, in my case, I have owned these e-drives for the last 15 years and can't say I am even making any money on them if they ever sell. Tough crowd here - :nilly:.
You can buy a drive almost anywhere - the hard parts to get are the 280T transom assemblies. Unless Tony has the trim pump that is not listed with the assembly, it would be the only part you would need other than a 250, 270, 275, or 280 drive. Someone will probably buy it if you don't. Bill

silverghost
04-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I bought the drive on Ebay, but if no one buys the 280T transom assembly, I told Tony that I would buy it. Many of you guys need this trimmable assembly so I am letting you have first shot at it. I only bought the drive so I can sell another speedmaster e-drive off my 1971 Donzi. I really am not looking for absolute speed Bill

BILL~~~

I call it like I see it !

Sure appears to be "Flipping" drives from boats to me from your very own post statment above !.

How much are "E" drives selling for at Ebay auction these days~~~~ $7000~$10000 ?
More ???

As for myself~~~
I never buy anything out from under another person that I know has a real interest & a true need for the item for sale on any website I am a longtime member of.
But~~~
I guess that's just the way I was brought-up !
It might not be done the same in your area of Texas .?

And if you can buy Volvo 280-B outdrives in this condition almost anywhere as you suggest~~~
Then why did YOU have to buy one you knew I was interested in buying ?

If anyone wants that "T" tilt transom assembly ~~~
I say~~~
Go for it !

I have been forced out of this complete drive deal !

That's what I was always interested in.~~~
Tony the seller can confirm this fact.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-02-2011, 12:55 AM
BILL~~~

I call it like I see it !

Sure appears to be "Flipping" drives from boats to me from your very own post statment above !.

How much are "E" drives selling for at Ebay auction these days~~~~ $7000~$10000 ?
More ???

As for myself~~~
I never buy anything out from under another person that I know has a real interest & a true need for the item.
But~~~
I guess that's just the way I was brought-up !
It might not be the same in Texas .

If anyone wants that "T" tilt transom assembly ~~~
I say~~~
Go for it !

I have been forced out of this deal !

Brad,
I always thought you were a fairly level headed guy until now. You are apparently getting on my case because you didn't get your way. Did you catch the fact that the parts were on Ebay where anyone in the world could have bought them? - and still can buy the 280T transom assembly as I write this. You would be smart to buy the transom assembly, but you somehow have morphed the facts into my having done you wrong by simply making the drive purchase. I did not step on your deal since you didn't have one at the time I bought the drive on Ebay to replace the speedmaster on my 1971 Donzi. There is no cause for the insults. Yes, I would buy the transom assembly if no one else buys it as a backup to the one I already have - it appears to be in outrageously great condition.
As far as the e-drives are concerned, I don't know where you came up with your guess. I tried to sell a good one and 3 others for parts along with quite a few other parts (props and an upper gear set) with no takers in this thread for as little as $3500. I have temporarily given up trying to sell them.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52002&highlight=speedmaster

I am very sorry about this thread hijack. Bill

silverghost
04-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Bill:

I call it as I see it~~~

You have known for months that I needed complete Volvo drive~~~

You also knew I needed a "T" Trim-style transom unit~~~

You saw my earlier post saying I was interested in this package & asking for prices from Tony earlier in a prior post~~~

No mention was made by Tony of these items being listed on ebay in his initial parts posting.

Despite my need & stated interest~~~
You just had to have that outdrive you say you can find almost anywhere !

I would not have done this to YOU ; nor anyone else I knew had an interest in this package on this site !

That's the difference between You & I !
Some folks have ethics~~~
Some do not .
That's what is wrong with our society today !

Conquistador_del_mar
04-02-2011, 03:30 AM
Tony~~~
Please post a price & your location.
I may have some real interest.
I assume this is a Chevy bellhousing ?

"I may have some real interest." To me this does not constitute an intent to buy or anything more than a possible interest. I had more than a possible interest so I wrote to Tony.

Bill:

I call it as I see it~~~

You have known for months that I needed complete Volvo drive~~~

You also knew I needed a "T" Trim-style transom unit~~~

You saw my earlier post saying I was interested in this package & asking for prices from Tony earlier in a prior post~~~

No mention was made by Tony of these items being listed on ebay in his initial parts posting.

Despite my need & stated interest~~~
You just had to have that outdrive you say you can find almost anywhere !

I would not have done this to YOU ; nor anyone else I knew had an interest in this package on this site !

That's the difference between You & I !

I wrote an email to Tony this morning and at 1:39PM in the afternoon, he wrote back explaining that it was on Ebay so I looked at the ads and bought the drive. Is there some reason why you think your needs are more important than mine? I don't. Do you have any idea how long I have been looking for an exceptional B-drive on Ebay and my local Craigslist? No, you don't. I think there are lots of guys just on this Donzi site who would love to upgrade to the trimmable 280T drive. According to your logic, they should all wait to see if Brad Hunter wants it first before pulling the trigger on Ebay if you state that you "may have an interest" . In today's world, when something is for sale on the internet, you better jump on it if you really want it. I actually considered letting you have it if Tony was willing to cancel the auction until I got to your insults in post #6 - :frown:. A harsh tongue gets you nowhere quickly. Being from Texas or Nova Scotia makes no difference. No man has to take undeserved insults. I am done with this discussion. Bill

Just Say N20
04-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Brad,

I'm a bit surprised at your comments. I have witnessed Bill's actions on this board over the years, and would say without qualification he is one of the most honest, above board guys you could ever hope to meet.

In almost every instance when there has been the potential for a buying/selling conflict with another board member that he has been aware of, he has backed off and given the other person the first opportunity. This was demonstrated again by his comments in post #5, where he left the tilt transom assembly for others to have first crack at, because they are a sought after piece as so many of the early Donzis with 270/280 drives didn't have trim. He even provided a link to the eBay listing of the transom assembly.

I perceived your "flipping" comment regarding the e-drive to be snide. Bill already has several e-drives available for sale, which haven't sold. And he already owns the one on his 1971 Donzi, so he didn't purchase it specifically to turn around and sell it, which is what I understood flipping to mean.

Your post comes across very much like a sour grapes rant aimed at discrediting Bill, like he knew you were going to buy this, and bought it out from under you on purpose. As long is something is on eBay with a Buy It Now option, no matter what a prospective buyer's intentions are, or how many anticipatory plans are made, someone else can buy the item.

I understand your frustration at missing this drive opportunity, but it is not Bill's fault.

bzsmarina
04-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Brad,
I always thought you were a fairly level headed guy until now. You are apparently getting on my case because you didn't get your way. Did you catch the fact that the parts were on Ebay where anyone in the world could have bought them? - and still can buy the 280T transom assembly as I write this. You would be smart to buy the transom assembly, but you somehow have morphed the facts into my having done you wrong by simply making the drive purchase. I did not step on your deal since you didn't have one at the time I bought the drive on Ebay to replace the speedmaster on my 1971 Donzi. There is no cause for the insults. Yes, I would buy the transom assembly if no one else buys it as a backup to the one I already have - it appears to be in outrageously great condition.
As far as the e-drives are concerned, I don't know where you came up with your guess. I tried to sell a good one and 3 others for parts along with quite a few other parts (props and an upper gear set) with no takers in this thread for as little as $3500. I have temporarily given up trying to sell them.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52002&highlight=speedmaster

I am very sorry about this thread hijack. Bill

how much do u want for the e-drive off your 71? i am very intrested.

Donzi Vol
04-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Brad,

I'm a bit surprised at your comments. I have witnessed Bill's actions on this board over the years, and would say without qualification he is one of the most honest, above board guys you could ever hope to meet.

In almost every instance when there has been the potential for a buying/selling conflict with another board member that he has been aware of, he has backed off and given the other person the first opportunity. This was demonstrated again by his comments in post #5, where he left the tilt transom assembly for others to have first crack at, because they are a sought after piece as so many of the early Donzis with 270/280 drives didn't have trim. He even provided a link to the eBay listing of the transom assembly.

I perceived your "flipping" comment regarding the e-drive to be snide. Bill already has several e-drives available for sale, which haven't sold. And he already owns the one on his 1971 Donzi, so he didn't purchase it specifically to turn around and sell it, which is what I understood flipping to mean.

Your post comes across very much like a sour grapes rant aimed at discrediting Bill, like he knew you were going to buy this, and bought it out from under you on purpose. As long is something is on eBay with a Buy It Now option, no matter what a prospective buyer's intentions are, or how many anticipatory plans are made, someone else can buy the item.

I understand your frustration at missing this drive opportunity, but it is not Bill's fault.

+1.

Bill (conquistador), you're a heck of a guy who's always been willing to help me and others. Don't worry about silverghosts comments, seeing as how you bought the drive fair and square. What you do with it afterward is your business.

Now, let's leave tony's thread alone so he can sell the rest of the piece w/out anymore hissyfits.

tonysteele
04-02-2011, 06:04 PM
:shocking:
I am freaking out over what has happened with the sale of my VP 280 drive. I never thought I would cause such a stir. To all involved, may I extend my apologies for any of you getting upset over this!

However, the transom assembly and Chevy bell housing are still for sale for $1500.00 complete minus the trim pump (trim pump is about a $200 replacement).

Tony

:bonk:

wavehogger
04-02-2011, 06:24 PM
:shocking:
I am freaking out over what has happened with the sale of my VP 280 drive. I never thought I would cause such a stir. To all involved, may I extend my apologies for any of you getting upset over this!

However, the transom assembly and Chevy bell housing are still for sale for $1500.00 complete minus the trim pump (trim pump is about a $200 replacement).

Tony

:bonk:

A good friend of Tony's here. I've seen these parts in person and they are all amazing! We're working on a few projects together and I can't speak highly enough about him and his wife. :boat:

f_inscreenname
04-02-2011, 07:18 PM
how much do u want for the e-drive off your 71? i am very intrested.

me to.

MOP
04-02-2011, 09:30 PM
In your thoughts factor in "Anything good" made public does not last long! Anyone that hesitates is lost, I have missed on some great Chit waited just a little to long. I used to get upset but it made no sense! Someone else was quicker to realize the deal and grabbed it, no matter whether you knew them or not what difference does it make. On this one I was even interested, just a little cheaper and I would be getting bioched out. How I avoid bad feelings is to say to myself "I" waited to long.

MOP

maddad
04-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Tom, that is a 280 drive.

tonysteele
04-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Welcome, a price will help.....:wink:
These itams are listed on Ebay in Volvo Penta Drive, parts for sale, Look up seller name (beanspeed) Drive has been SOLD, 280 T Transom /BBC Bell Housing still available 4/6/2011