PDA

View Full Version : Nozzle broken???

Blasito
03-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Hello fellas Im new to the site but I was told this is a great place to look for some answers. Ill try to keep it simple and sweet.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/Blasito08/20110330173435-1.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/Blasito08/20110330173435.jpg

My buddy has the boat at his place for the winter, and he asked me if this nozzle is supposed to have that cutout from factory or if had been broken off at some point. I tried looking for pics but none of the ones i found were from this particular boat. This boat, a 1995 Donzi 152 Medallion. We had been having some trouble getting it to plane, so I'm wondering if this could be why. if it is broken, it broke so symmetrically that it looks like it could be factory.Can any of you guys can tell me for sure if this thing is broken. And potentially how much could this affect the performance. the boat is in good shape and the engine starts right up and runs great. thanks for any and all help.

mrfixxall
03-31-2011, 09:19 PM
i would have to say someone cut it...it probably needs a new impeller and a ware ring,they ware out so o would start with #2 and #3.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/1973_170.cfm

Blasito
03-31-2011, 09:24 PM
I had replaced the wear ring and impeller a couple of years ago. but that nozzle cant be helping any. have you heard of people cutting the nozzle like that for any reason? Thanks for chiming in

Just Say N20
04-01-2011, 06:04 AM
This is only a guess, but maybe they couldn't get the reverse bucket adjusted properly to keep the boat relatively motionless when in neutral, so they cut the nozzle in an attempt to achieve it.

Like Fixx said, the clearance between the wear ring and the impeller is super critical. A couple thousandths is the difference between good performance and a boat that will barely/won't plane.

This is the nozzle of a Sport Jet 175 with the bucket removed. I replaced a Sport Jet 90 with this pump assembly and engine. The 90 nozzle has a different configuration, but it definitely doesn't have a cut out at the bottom.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/streb2005/175Jetoutput.jpg

450rrrr
04-01-2011, 08:33 AM
when i had my yamaha it had twin jets..it had no cut outs..as stated before..impellar and ware ring are critical.also check the water intake grate.make sure your sealed up well.you want the water coming in as smooth as it can. not sure if you have a clean out prior to the impellar.if yes make sure you have a good seal on the clean out.so that it doesnt suck in air..i used grease to help the seal.very easy for the motor to spin the impellar faster than it can get water to push.kind of a balanceing act.i could nt come out of the hole full throttle.had to get it rolling so to speak..good luck..

also...........
if you start pulling it apart..use lots of liquid wrench...or break free.soak it down a couple of time a day.for a couple of days..if its like the yamaha it breakes pretty easy.i had to replace a mount ring..ended up replaceing 1/2 the nozzle assem because it would nt come apart.

joseph m. hahnl
04-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Probably smacked the ground and broke. Medallion 152's are notorious for wet flotation packing. There are a few here, who had to remove it and the getting on plane problem, went away.

The easiest way to see if it's breakage is to inspect the edge face. If it has diamond shaped pores or if has a surface finish that is greater than 125 RA, it is saw cut. Aluminum castings generally have superior surface finishes and radius edges at all outer intersecting edges.They will also have fillets on all inner intersecting angles.
"No radius or fillets , not design intended"

Blasito
04-19-2011, 04:00 PM
thanks for all the input guys. was away for a couple of weeks so i didnt get much done. But i have heard of the flotation getting so soaked that it added almost as much weight to the boat as the boat weighs itself on these models. Im gonna be ordering a new nozzle this week and go from there. to get to the floatation i believe requires actually cutting the deck open. Thanks again.

mrfixxall
04-19-2011, 05:19 PM
thanks for all the input guys. was away for a couple of weeks so i didnt get much done. But i have heard of the flotation getting so soaked that it added almost as much weight to the boat as the boat weighs itself on these models. Im gonna be ordering a new nozzle this week and go from there. to get to the floatation i believe requires actually cutting the deck open. Thanks again.

i me and a buddy did his 4winnns jet a few years ago,,we had to split the hull and dig all the foam out..it was a pain in the azz until i dug the chain saw out,made one hell of a mess but after a few hours we had all the foam out..we weighed the bags and it came close to 600 lbs wet..