PDA

View Full Version : ICW - Ormond / Daytona area

Phil S
03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Heading there in a couple of weeks, any float-in / row-in type local favorite restaurants on the water I should try to find ?

Phil S.

VetteLT193
03-30-2011, 03:26 PM
I ate at a decent place near the broken spoke that was on the water with docks. up a river though so I can't say where off the ICW you would have to go... I am sure you can map it. just find a restaurant on the water west of the Broken spoke on the same road.

My east coast stompin' grounds are south of there so I don't know much north of Port Canaveral. (there are some good places there to eat if you want a longer adventure)

VetteLT193
03-30-2011, 03:28 PM
oops, just mapped it. actually east of the BS, called the river grille. can't say much more than that other than the food was good:)

gcarter
03-30-2011, 04:31 PM
There're several restautants near the Ponce Inlet. You can launch at the Daytona Marina just south of US 92 (international Speedway Blvd) and head south to the inlet. If you continue a bit further south to New Smyrna, there're some additional reastaurants on the water.
Or, a real fun day trip is to launch at the park located under the Hwy 40 bridge (on the mainland side of the river) in Ormond. Go north about 45 miles to St. Augustine, tie up at the city marina and eat at any of a dozen restaurants in easy walking distance, including the Columia Spanish (Cuban) restaurant.
Daytona is a great city to socialize by boat.

Phil S
03-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks Vette, thanks George.

George -

Granada boat ramp / park is exactly where I launch (40 mainland side). My parents live about 6 blocks south of there and that's where we are headed. I've been south to the Ponce Inlet (approx 16 miles) and love that area. The reason I drag my boat down there is because my 86 year old Dad absolutely loves going out on it. WWII Navy Vet and he just loves it. The Ponce Inlet tie up area though has a pretty tall ladder to climb (tide relative), and I'm not sure he's up to it any more. Need docks low to the water

I'm liking the back-water river area or the St. Augustine trip maybe. I've not been any further north than a couple miles past Tomoka SP area...maybe 6-8 miles north of Ormond. Thinking I would need a fuel dock along the way to head to St. Augustine. I'm definitely going to look into that as I know he would love it.

Thanks again.....and love reading about the TR project !! Amazing work GC.:yes:

With kind regards,
Phil S.

CHACHI
03-31-2011, 05:54 AM
Many times during Bike week I have eaten at Down the Hatch.

Always boat traffic going by. Oh yeah, excellent Grouper.

Ken

gcarter
03-31-2011, 07:45 AM
As Ken said, Down the Hatch......it has a floating dock.
Also you can eat outside, although we've always gone inside.

The St. Augustine city marina sells fuel.

McGary911
03-31-2011, 03:19 PM
If you're considering a run up to St Augustine, I'd vote for Cap's. I think technically it's on Vilano Beach, right on the ICW. It's mostly seafood, but even a non-seafood guy like me can find something good to eat.

Floating dock to tie up, beautiful views, small beach that kids like to play on, great food....

And there's a small airport across the ICW a little to the north. I forget her name, but one of the best female aerobatic pilots in the world is based there, and a lot of weekends, you'll see her practicing overhead. Super cool. She was out 2 weeks ago, and one of the patrons though it was a remote control plane :wink:.

This is her.... http://www.pattywagstaff.com/

Phil S
03-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks a bunch for that link McGary.....she is flying at New Smyrna on the 8th...definitely will take that in...thanks !! :cool:

Thanks again !

Phil S.