PDA

View Full Version : Water Shutter Replacement - Y-Pipe

RedDog
03-29-2011, 05:05 PM
While doing some exhaust work, I discovered that the water shutter in the Y-pipe was gone on 1 side (except for the hinge pin) and badly deteriorated on the other. How do you remove and replace these? I can get my hand on them but a good pull didn't budge it. Does it slide out of the mounting notch to the side?

Looks like I can pick them up for about $22 each. Are they really necessary?

http://www.sterndrives.com/exhaustshutters.html

mrfixxall
03-29-2011, 06:04 PM
While doing some exhaust work, I discovered that the water shutter in the Y-pipe was gone on 1 side (except for the hinge pin) and badly deteriorated on the other. How do you remove and replace these? I can get my hand on them but a good pull didn't budge it. Does it slide out of the mounting notch to the side?

Looks like I can pick them up for about $22 each. Are they really necessary?

http://www.sterndrives.com/exhaustshutters.html

installing them you will have to squeeze the flaps together and put them in the pipe,the pipe should be notched for the rod to slide through,,make sure you have both wedges in your hand before installing the flapper,once the flapper is in place install the wedges and use one of the hose clamps to force them over the rod on the flapper..sometimes they are hard to push in place..

also their are 2 different size flappers so when ordering them make sure they give you the larger size ones,also make sure they are either quick silver brand or mercruiser so they fit properly..they are usually around 38 bucks each for the good ones..

you will have to remove the exhaust hose,once its removed you will see 2 half pyramid shaped rubber plugs that are on the outside of the pipe and are wedged into place holding the rod that you see..just take a pic of a sharp screwdriver and pull the rubber wedges out but keep your hand on the rod so it dont fall into the y pipe..

make sure tall the old pieces are out of the y pipe,if you cant see them then they may be lodged in the gimbal and or in the outdrive.

silverghost
03-29-2011, 10:24 PM
"ARE THEY REALLY NECESSARY?"

I believe they are ~~~
If nothing else they are very cheap insurance .

These exhaust flapper valves act like a one-way check valve to prevent sea water & exhaust water reversion into your engine's exhaust valve ports ; and any open exhaust valves.

This is especially important at very slow engine speeds and in very rough water.
It is also important when backing-up, or if your boat is stopped in choppy & rough water.

A number of years back a friend & neighbor had one flapper fail and sea water reverted back up into an open exhaust valve and Hydro locked his engne at idle.
It shattered a piston and bent a connecting rod !

His engine was wrecked .

These cheap rubber flapper one way check valves are very cheap insurance.

Why take an unnecessary risk ?

Mercruiser put them in for a very good reason in the first place.

RedDog
03-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the input Fix. Went to the local dealer to pick them up and I had sourced the wrong one for my application. Naturally what I needed was quite a bit more costly.:hangum: Would have been cheaper to order them, but this way no wait time.

They came with new grommets (what you called wedges) for the install.