View Full Version : info om 90'kaama surface drive

Ryan32
03-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Info or pic of 90' kaama drives?

fogducker III
03-28-2011, 07:03 PM
:bonk:

Good luck with that..........

Most people come on a site, introduce themselves, let people know a little about them, listen and learn and then attempt to obtain specific info....

Welcome.

Rumblefish
03-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Info or pic of 90' kaama drives?

Heres a Kaama Surface drive

Arneson surface Drive Type theory. I would say it looks just like one.

Alot Of reading on the Arneson will put you in the right direction.

silverghost
03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Didn't Mercruiser build a version of the Kaama surface drive shortly after Kaama Marine Company owner, and famous 70s-80s lady Offshore Racer Betty Cook passed away from Cancer at a young age?

The Mercruiser unit I believe was a cross combo between a traditional TRS outdrive upper gearcase unit & inside hydraulic trans and a Kaama surface style lower drive bolted to it 90* .
A real unusual combo .
It looked sort of like the Weisman surface drive.
I believe they (Wiesman Bros) once worked for Betty Cook's Kaama along with a Mr Connor who designed the Kaama?
Strange animal indeed.

This Mercruiser/Kaama combo was just as short lived as the Blackhawk drive was.

Arneson basically stole Kaama's thunder & market share with a similar & more robust surface drive.
Arneson is very much in business today !
Mighty Mouse a world speed record holding 123 + MPH Donzi X-18 uses an Arneson surface drive .
Very low drag units.
(Search "Mighty Mouse" above here on this website for more Arneson surface drive info.)

Kaama drives are fairly rare today.
Kaama is long since out of business.
New parts are also hard to find. Especially the rubber drive boots.

There is a 38 Scarab named Kaama at All Seasons Marina 34th street & Ocean City NJ that was once owned & raced by Betty Cook.
It still sports it's Original twin Kaama race drives.
The name Kaama is in large two foot graphics on both hull sides of this former Betty Cook Scarab race boat .

At one time Betty Cook was beating everyone in her Kaama surface drive powered offshore race boats.

Kaama drives are very nasty & cool looking .

Arneson surface drives are in more common use today.

mrfixxall
03-29-2011, 12:24 PM
what info do you need?? if its about getting parts then its going to be hard but i know where their is a brand new set!! hard part is trying to get my friend to part with them..they are a stout drive,the only this that exer goes wrong with them in nornal conditions if the outside rubber boot rips and then water gets in them..you have to inspect them after every use..

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50865&d=1253490035 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50865&d=1253490035)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53640&d=1265462449 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53640&d=1265462449)

got thease form the forsale section http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59713&highlight=kaama

Boatless
04-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Didn't Mercruiser build a version of the Kaama surface drive shortly after Kaama Marine Company owner, and famous 70s-80s lady Offshore Racer Betty Cook passed away from Cancer at a young age?

The Mercruiser unit I believe was a cross combo between a traditional TRS outdrive upper gearcase unit & inside hydraulic trans and a Kaama surface style lower drive bolted to it 90* .
A real unusual combo .
It looked sort of like the Weisman surface drive.
I believe they (Wiesman Bros) once worked for Betty Cook's Kaama along with a Mr Connor who designed the Kaama?
Strange animal indeed.

This Mercruiser/Kaama combo was just as short lived as the Blackhawk drive was.

Arneson basically stole Kaama's thunder & market share with a similar & more robust surface drive.
Arneson is very much in business today !
Mighty Mouse a world speed record holding 123 + MPH Donzi X-18 uses an Arneson surface drive .
Very low drag units.
(Search "Mighty Mouse" above here on this website for more Arneson surface drive info.)

Kaama drives are fairly rare today.
Kaama is long since out of business.
New parts are also hard to find. Especially the rubber drive boots.

There is a 38 Scarab named Kaama at All Seasons Marina 34th street & Ocean City NJ that was once owned & raced by Betty Cook.
It still sports it's Original twin Kaama race drives.
The name Kaama is in large two foot graphics on both hull sides of this former Betty Cook Scarab race boat .

At one time Betty Cook was beating everyone in her Kaama surface drive powered offshore race boats.

Kaama drives are very nasty & cool looking .

Arneson surface drives are in more common use today.

Stole their thunder? The Arneson was made first and the KAAMA was a make shift copy of the Arneson so?

KAAMA killed themselves when the boats installed with them begun to sink when the boots tore

Ed Donnelly
04-22-2011, 12:11 PM
I was under the impression that the same engineer helped design both drives

and he is still alive and well now in Florida

http://www.connormarine.com

................Ed

Boatless
04-28-2011, 12:36 AM
I was under the impression that the same engineer helped design both drives
and he is still alive and well now in Florida
http://www.connormarine.com
................Ed

Not even... The Arneson is names after the person "Arneson" no Conners there and as for the KAAMA, this was Betty Cook's idea to circumvent the Arneson patents as Cook wanted to be the distributor for the Arneson drive but she lacked the network and experience so she tried to go her own and Conners at the time was her throttle man or mechanic or? They took the Arneson drive to Weismann and asked them to design around the Arneson patent. Basically the KAAMA is an Arneson with a Gimbal Ring and an aft drop box that was in the path of the water which was one of the major problems with the design that Weismann came up with and they kept that design in their modern copy of the KAAMA

Ed Donnelly
04-28-2011, 03:18 AM
"In 1973, John joined Kudu/Kaama Marine, as Crew Chief and throttleman for Betty Cook, they went on to win three US and two World Championships. As president of Kaama Marine, John participated in the development of the Arneson Surface Drive, was responsible for the design and engineering of the Kaama Surface Drive and oversaw the companys sales and manufacturing operations in California and Florida."
...................................Ed

Boatless
05-03-2011, 08:06 PM
"In 1973, John joined Kudu/Kaama Marine, as Crew Chief and throttleman for Betty Cook, they went on to win three US and two World Championships. As president of Kaama Marine, John participated in the development of the Arneson Surface Drive, was responsible for the design and engineering of the Kaama Surface Drive and oversaw the companys sales and manufacturing operations in California and Florida."
...................................Ed

Well, I call B.S. KAAMA did not design the Arneson and neither did John Conners