PDA

View Full Version : water leak

pdaigle
03-28-2011, 09:26 AM
The last time out last year after pulling the plug on the boat ramp it seemed that it took about 5 minutes for the water to drain out of the boat. I had a new omc corbra outdrive (inboard/outboard) installed 1 month earlier; the marina stated that it may not be the outdrive leaking, without looking last fall they said it may be the gasket between the engine and the transom which means pull the engine out to install the gasket but they also said some people have had luck by putting caulking on the outside of the outdrive. My boat is a 23 ft. Regazza. Does anyone have any input w/regards to band-aiding w/caulking, safe or unsafe? Thank you

Tidbart
03-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Did you check the bellows? Common place for a leak.

B

Conquistador_del_mar
03-28-2011, 12:45 PM
If your transom is rotted and weak, you might be getting water from the seal area where the transom assembly meets the transom. Maybe that is why they suggested caulking the outdrive perimeter? You really need to find out why it is leaking and go from there. A good sign that the transom is bad will be gelcoat fractures at the base of the transom - usually at the bottom corners where so much pressure is placed on the transom under power. Bill

Phil S
03-28-2011, 06:45 PM
The power steering fluid cooler failed on mine once, so while the engine was running, it was dumping water into the bilge. Mine is located at the rear of the engine and it wasn't real obvious to actually see it leaking. Once I found it, it was a very simple fix though. Just a thought....and hope it's nothing major !

With kind regards,
Phil S.

Phil S
03-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Then again, with a new outdrive just installed a month earlier.....

Have you ever had major water in the bilge before that ? Sure we have water in the boat when we've been tubing / skiing with the kids all day, but not five minutes worth. When we take her out sans children, she comes in dry as a bone in the bilge.

Phil S.