PDA

View Full Version : Omg.............

Carl C
03-27-2011, 06:19 PM
A friend actually asked my opinion on if he should buy this boat: http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/2289210225.html :bonk:

I told him I wouldn't take it for free........:nilly:

Buddyc
03-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Your a wise man.....:wink:

fogducker III
03-27-2011, 06:57 PM
I disagree, the trailer is almost worth the asking money and the boat would be an awesome fishing/prawning/crabbing boat, well protected cabin area, good on fuel etc....it looks in not bad condition either.

There is nothing wrong with Bayliner boats, they are not Hi-po boats and they are not that well made but they float just fine and for certain people and certain uses, nothing wrong with them, especially at $2500....:yes:

Carl C
03-27-2011, 07:09 PM
I disagree, the trailer is almost worth the asking money and the boat would be an awesome fishing/prawning/crabbing boat, well protected cabin area, good on fuel etc....it looks in not bad condition either.

There is nothing wrong with Bayliner boats, they are not Hi-po boats and they are not that well made but they float just fine and for certain people and certain uses, nothing wrong with them, especially at $2500....:yes:

It would be a money pit! And a volvo 4 banger in a boat that heavy? It would take for ever to get anywhere. And look in the engine room and top of the hard top. This boat has not been stored in that garage... No, it's not just because it's a Bayliner, it's because it's a 27 year old Bayliner in horrendous condition! He can do better than that for $2,500 bucks. No pics of the interior or drive or cabin. I wonder why ;). Foggy, if'n you want I'll check it out for you. It's right here in my hometown of Clarkston.... :)

smidgen too
03-27-2011, 07:11 PM
It dose not have a OMC out drive,:eek: like the ad say's, it's a Volvo. Looks like it may have a good trim motor.:bonk:

fogducker III
03-27-2011, 07:24 PM
It would be a money pit! And a volvo 4 banger in a boat that heavy? It would take for ever to get anywhere. And look in the engine room and top of the hard top. This boat has not been stored in that garage... No, it's not just because it's a Bayliner, it's because it's a 27 year old Bayliner in horrendous condition! He can do better than that for $2,500 bucks. No pics of the interior or drive or cabin. I wonder why ;). Foggy, if'n you want I'll check it out for you. It's right here in my hometown of Clarkston.... :)

Quit being a snob Carl......:wink:

You probably paid more for the powder-coated parts on your boat then that whole package.....:yes:

The Volvo 4 banger is actually a very good motor, who cares how dirty the boat is, for a day cruising/fishing boat I don't think anybody could go wrong with that, yes, if somebody buys it and knows NOTHING about boats and takes it to a dealer or shop for repair and maintenance, then it would cost some $$$, but for the average "Joe" who can turn a wrench and wants to fish, this would be a great deal at $2500......

Have you actually laid eyes on it Carl?

Sweet Cheekz
03-27-2011, 07:43 PM
A lot of fishing guys dont seem to care about going anywhere fast. A sentiment I just dont understand

Parnell

realbold
03-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Not my style either, but others are ok with it and seems to be priced right.
I'd take it for free for just the trailer.

zelatore
03-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Gotta agree with Foggy - out here on the west coast that sort of boat is really popular with the fishing crowd.

I've never driven one with the 4-pot, but as long as it'll get on plane they seem to be happy enough with it at the right price.

Not fancy, not pretty, but it's cheap and offers weather protection.

Carl C
03-28-2011, 07:40 AM
He wants to use it on Lake St. Clair:eek:. I see lots of breakdowns and tows in it's future:yes::yes:. Also I'm for sure of the mentality that if it gets you on the water and you have fun then good deal but...well...frankly...I'd be a little embarrassed to be seen on that boat:nilly::nilly:! I guess it doesn't matter if all the wood is rotten though since it probably chugs along at displacement speeds maybe 10 mph:crossfing:? No, he can do better. He's not that poor either. That boat will ...... oh nevermind:pizza::pizza:. I'll be glad to check it out for whoever is interested :) :) :).

mike o
03-28-2011, 08:52 AM
:wink:....:party:....:yes:....:kingme:. On a nice hot day. Lake St C.....:alligator Right Foggy.

Carl C
03-28-2011, 11:35 AM
You know the boat would probably look spiffy again with a solid white paint job but (IMO) a 27 year old Bayliner with a 4 banger just isn't worth the cost of the paint! Stick a fork in it....:boggled::hangum::eek::shocking::shark:

Conquistador_del_mar
03-28-2011, 12:15 PM
I have quite a few friends and acquaintances who would love to have a boat to get out on the lake, but who don't have the money for something expensive. If this boat were nearer, I would highly recommend it to anyone who wanted something of this type or size. Volvo drive, economical engine running good, hardtop to beat the elements, tandem axle galvanized trailer - all for only $2500. A bargain in my book. My own son-in-law would love this boat. Bill

CaribouLou
03-28-2011, 12:42 PM

Well played. My friend has a '88 28' Bayliner, I spent much more time on that thing during the summers then the Donzi, because it has a kitchen, couches, TV, HEAT, beds, etc.

If you could get that boat for 2k, that would be a great fish killer for all seasons up here.

wannabe
03-28-2011, 04:20 PM
4000 rpm just to keep it on plane @ 20 mph:hyper:

Rumblefish
03-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Agree as well...

If I had room at the dock for a (dont have too much invested lets load and go fishing) id snag it in a heartbeat!!

Your friend will be the one saying "dont worry if you spill your boozer" when you guys head out.

Tell him to buy it and have fun.. Women dig bayliners!

Carl C
03-28-2011, 05:09 PM
4000 rpm just to keep it on plane @ 20 mph:hyper:

I have doubts if this boat is even capable of planing with people and gear on board with that little engine. Again, nothing against Bayliner. So I should tell my buddy that I ran it by you guys and he should check it out? I'll go with him since it's right here in town. I have a feeling that this package is going to look a lot worse in person.......:nilly:

wannabe
03-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Hey, The CL listing has been deleted and hopefully your friend didn't buy it. A friend of mine has that power package in a 20 Bayliner and he runs the crap out of it just go in the low twenties.

fogducker III
03-28-2011, 06:51 PM
You don't need to plane to go fishing.....:bonk:

All I am saying is for the price this is a good deal for somebody who wants to fish, crab or prawn and "putt" around.....I did not think this was a boat to "blast" over to Put in Bay and pick up the chicks....:boggled:

I can tell you this package would be light on the pocket fuel wise and if caught out in the weather, a hell of a lot more comfortable then ANY high performance boat of the same size....:yes:

It all boils down to what you want or need a boat for....:)

Rumblefish
03-28-2011, 07:07 PM
You don't need to plane to go fishing.....:bonk:
It all boils down to what you want or need a boat for....:)

There ya go...

wannabe
03-28-2011, 07:15 PM
River fishing would be ok but picture a cloud formation with the shape of an anvil while fishing on Lake Erie and trying to out run the weather.:eek: Just sayin

fogducker III
03-28-2011, 07:20 PM
River fishing would be ok but picture a cloud formation with the shape of an anvil while fishing on Lake Erie and trying to out run the weather.:eek: Just sayin

I fish regularly on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, at times, BIG water, I would have no problem going out in that boat as long as I was happy with the mechanical side of things......I have been out in Double Eagles, Fiberforms, Calglass etc etc.... I have also been out in Grady Whites', Boston Whalers and Zodiacs, they ALL float, it all depends on how you run a boat and if you are stupid enough to take a boat that is not capable out in seas that it can not handle.....:boat:

Carl C
03-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Interesting variety of comments but it doesn't matter now. It must have sold.

wannabe
03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
I fish regularly on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, at times, BIG water, I would have no problem going out in that boat as long as I was happy with the mechanical side of things......I have been out in Double Eagles, Fiberforms, Calglass etc etc.... I have also been out in Grady Whites', Boston Whalers and Zodiacs, they ALL float, it all depends on how you run a boat and if you are stupid enough to take a boat that is not capable out in seas that it can not handle.....:boat:
Agreed and for me that would include having the engine to power over the waves and not get sideways.(can.t spell brotch)

Greg Guimond
03-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Better to be on the water in anything, than off the water.

Carl C
03-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Better to be on the water in anything, than off the water.

True that but I bet that boat needed pretty much everything! It's no fun breaking down every time out and St. Clair is a big lake.

zelatore
03-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Although this particular boat is now gone, I think what we are getting at is that it all comes down to expectations.

For the money, that could be a functional little fishing machine.

It could also be a waste of money at any price - the whole bottom and transom could be ready to fall out.

The key is to look at it and make a decision based on what you're getting for the money vs what you want/need.

If Carl's buddy goes out on Carl's 22 and thinks he's going to get something 'sorta like your boat', then he's looking in the wrong place.

If they guy doesn't mind a beater and just wants a fishing platform...it could work.