PDA

View Full Version : steering stuck

poppy
03-26-2011, 04:09 PM
My steering is stuck I can move the outdrive by hand but the pivet arm I have to use a hammer to move it but it will not turn the outdrive? This setup is on a 1970 classic18 with volvo outdrive 270 I sure could use some advice. Thanks Poppy

MOP
03-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Loosen the cable in its bracket so it will slide to see if it is the drive or the cable.

Phil

silverghost
03-26-2011, 08:27 PM
As Phil has stated~~~

These old Teleflex push-pull steering cables often rust internally and get very stiff !

Disconnect as Phl stated or take the main bolt out of the outdrive's steering arm where the end of the cable is connected to it.

Then see if the drive's steerin arm easiy moves your old 270 outdrive from side to side !

If it does~~~
You have a bad Telefles control cable !
The length of this cable is printed & stamped near each end on the black outer protective shell. This marking is about of foot or so from the end .

These cables are easily replaced .

They are not very costly !

Make sure your outdrive's inside tiller/steeing arm is tight where it is clamped on to your Drive's steering Helmet & shaft assembly.

poppy
03-26-2011, 08:45 PM
The cable is not connected! The arm on the top of the o.d. will not move unless hit with a hammer. Even then it will not turn the o.d. but i can turn the o.d. by pushing or pulling on the o.d.on the prop shaft.

Sweet little 16
03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
As Phil has stated~~~

These old Teleflex push-pull steering cables often rust internally and get very stiff !

Disconnect as Phl stated or take the main bolt out of the outdrive's steering arm where the end of the cable is connected to it.

Then see if the drive's steerin arm easiy moves your old 270 outdrive from side to side !

If it does~~~
You have a bad Telefles control cable !
The length of this cable is printed & stamped near each end on the black outer protective shell. This marking is about of foot or so from the end .

These cables are easily replaced .

They are not very costly !

Make sure your outdrive's inside tiller/steeing arm is tight where it is clamped on to your Drive's steering Helmet & shaft assembly.

please the guy has asked for help , this response has !!!!!!! points all over it. it reads like a scolding please lighten up.
advice and help doesn't need to be shouted.

if the cable is disconnected, remove the 3 bolts that hold the helmet on. now tilt up the helmet and try and move the drive from side to side , then try moving the helmet . this will tell you if the helmet steering yolk is locked up or the drive folk that the drive is suspended from is locked up.

hope that helps

silverghost
03-26-2011, 09:48 PM
[quote=Sweet little 16;595424]please the guy has asked for help , this response has exclamtion points all over it. it reads like a scolding please lighten up.

Well excuse ME !
I was ONLY trying to help !

I was not shouting at him~~~
BUT~~~
I AM shouting at YOU !

maddad
03-26-2011, 11:15 PM
The cable is not connected! The arm on the top of the o.d. will not move unless hit with a hammer. Even then it will not turn the o.d. but i can turn the o.d. by pushing or pulling on the o.d.on the prop shaft.
Hi poppy, I read this and hear you saying that even when you do move the tiller arm inside the boat with a hammer, the drive does not turn. Is the steering fork connected to the helmet? Is the helmet connected to the drive? Even though there's a bolt to tighten the tiller arm to the steering forks shaft, that connection is splined and doesn't depend on the bolt being tight. The bolt holds the steering fork from dropping down out of the transom sheild. There are a few grease fittings for the fork and the outdrives vertical steering shaft. Have they seen any grease lately? I had a 280 that was a bit stiff and fresh grease and working it back and forth loosened it up. I'm also going to add that the out drive turns on the same shaft that carries the water up the outdrive, and it is sealed at both ends with an O ring. If the shaft area where it's supported and where the O rings are corroded/dryed out, the O ring seal could be damaged which will let air get drawn into the cooling loop and cause huge overheating issues. I'd suggest to anyone useing an old Volvo drive to get their water from the transom or the hull as even if the drive turns freely, the O rings could be dried out or cracked from being a few decades old.
Also, be careful with moving the parts with a hammer because while they are tough, they are not indestructable and can break. If this happened underway, the results would not be pretty.

Sweet little 16
03-27-2011, 07:44 AM
[quote=Sweet little 16;595424]please the guy has asked for help , this response has exclamtion points all over it. it reads like a scolding please lighten up.
Well excuse ME !
I was ONLY trying to help !
I was not shouting at him~~~
BUT~~~
I AM shouting at YOU !

Sorry didn't hear you shout at me it was 3 am I was sleeping.

Silver, I have re-read most of your posts on the boards here looks like you shout at everyone. It seems like you are trying to help, BUT !!!!! you use the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like it is going out of style~~~~~~.
statements,advice, and help end with . not !

Maddad, in all my years here that is the first time I have seen that connection mentioned . That is great info regarding the old AQs.

Poppy there are 4 areas of connections in the steering system to check.
the helm, the cable,the helmet, the drive. To troubleshoot you could start at 1 end and work to 4. Or as Phil said look at the cable to tiller connection. Right dab in the middle of 2 and 3.
If the wheel moves freely and the cable does too 1 and 2 or ok. that leaves 3 and 4 now disconnect the helmet from the drive .

I had a simialar issue with a 280, It took 2 hands and a alot of effort to get the drive to move with the cable disconnected. removed the helmet connection and the drive moved freely the issue was the helmet. It had some corrosion around the splines due to a chunk missing on the plastic bearings that hold the spline in place.
hope that helps keep us posted.

Carl C
03-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Silverghost, you big bully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:propeller:

Sweet little 16
03-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Silverghost, you big bully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:propeller:

hey Carl what pitch is that prop on your hat , is it labbed ????? LMAO :rlol:

hardcrab
03-27-2011, 08:39 AM

That's the key that winds his brain ........... :kingme:

Carl C
03-27-2011, 08:54 AM

That's the key that winds his brain ........... :kingme:

Yup, gotta wind me up every morning. :)

mphatc
03-27-2011, 09:28 AM
My Volvo drives were seized on the Magnum when I bought it . . could not be turned left or right after sitting for 14 years . .
over several weeks time and copius forms of lubrication I managed to free them to pivot freely . .

Try mixing grease and pentrating fluid to a thin slurry and using a grease gun into all the pivot lubrication points. Over time and lots of effort both both of my drives pivoted freely with no water leaks. At the end pump grease through to flush out the slime . .

Mario L. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poppy
03-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks fellows I followed your advice and it is now free Thanks Poppy

Carl C
03-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks fellows I followed your advice and it is now free Thanks Poppy

Yay! Good news. :)