PDA

View Full Version : 1983 22 Classic-Rare Options? $19,600 NOT MY BOAT

jstrahn
03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/2284477957.html

Not sure about the rarity claimed. I have no knowledge on the subject but if nothing else seems like a very original and low hour boat. I like the dash padding. Not crazy about the bow mounted light. Looks very clean.

Lots and lots of pics here:
http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx101/cimm/1983%2022%20Donzi%20Classic/

Edit: Looks like the bow light flips down. That is really slick.

jstrahn
03-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Looking at the pictures, that boat is incredible. Has to be one of the cleanest I've ever seen and all the original documentation, paddle, etc etc. Pretty cool. Someone loved that thing.

Buddyc
03-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Thats Sweet. I like the upolstered dash. He really did love that thing. What do you think the purchase price was?

jstrahn
03-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Thats Sweet. I like the upolstered dash. He really did love that thing. What do you think the purchase price was?

$26,439.75

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx101/cimm/1983%2022%20Donzi%20Classic/IMG_4960.jpg

AM/FM Stereo Cassette - $882? Holy crap!

cutwater
03-25-2011, 04:00 PM
LOVE. IT.

Fantastic. I've always been a big fan of the padded dash. Such a sweet look :yes:

AM/FM Stereo Cassette - $882? Holy crap!

Hahaha

Buddyc
03-25-2011, 04:00 PM
WOW after 28 years he only depriciated 7 grand... Now thats Awsome. See what happens when you take care of your stuff :)

Buddyc
03-25-2011, 04:07 PM
They came with a towel and gym bag? Love the paddle

silverghost
03-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Is the paddle to get you home if you run out of gas ; or the engine conks-out ?

The towel to dry yourself off when you get back in the boat after pushing it off a sandbar.

And~~~

The gym bag to keep your spare dry clothes in after your first set gets wet ?

I could use all these items on my boats !

Does anyone else here have these Donzi accessory items ?

Spectacular NEW Donzi 22~~~
It has not really been broken-in !

It's first owner was really not a true "Donzi Guy" !

If he was he would have used it more !
Very sad~~~~

MOP
03-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Exceptionally sweet and it has power trim to boot!

Carl C
03-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Mine came with a soft Donzi embroidered brief case and six Donzi dock lines. I will also keep all original documentation. Might sell it some day.....

boats74
03-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Looks better than a lot of restored boats I've seen. Absolutely incredible. :cool!:

Tony
03-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Holy crap, that is the cleanest 27 year old boat in existence!
The dash, upholstery, engine, bilge...even the VP emblem on the outdrive, and the rubber stop on the outdrive, are perfect.

Amazing what indoor storage, fresh water, 139 hours, and a meticulous owner can do!

LuauLounge
03-25-2011, 10:28 PM
So who's going to jump in and buy it?

BUIZILLA
03-26-2011, 07:23 AM
is this the same boat that was on the hydrohoist in JAX?

Sweet little 16
03-26-2011, 08:09 AM
awesome time piece, donzi racing paddle and all. would have to go to all about show and no go kind of buyer. I am surprised they didn't mate a BB to the 280. an AQ drive and a small block making just under 300 hp had a problem pushing a 16 to 60, now add the length and weight of a 22. wonder if this is a 280T???if not :eek:

never mind just saw the photobucket it's a 280T .

boats74
03-26-2011, 08:35 PM
is this the same boat that was on the hydrohoist in JAX?
I'm wondering the same thing. :popcorn:

Just Say N20
03-26-2011, 11:51 PM
This is the first 22 I have ever seen without thru-hull exhaust.

Beautiful boat.

inlander
03-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Looks like this is the boat. See thread by "cimm" on 12-07-2010.

cimm (http://www.donzi.net/forums/member.php?u=11314)

1983 22 Classic
Hi guys! I am new to this forum and just purchased a 1983 22 Classic. This boat has 130 original hours and original Volvo power. Could this 22 be a time capsule? I have looked for other 22's from the early 80's and have yet to find one this old, and any vintage year with this few hours (130). At this point, I am not even sure if this boat is a 22C. It has a flush mounted black pop-up docking light at the very tip of the bow. Do you think this is a rare boat and could it possibly have an increased value because of its age and hours? Are you aware of any earlier or 1983 22C's? It is a one owner boat and has hung in the same dock for 27 years. Approximately 75% of its hours were from the single mechanic that has looked after this boat since it's purchase in 1983. This boat also has a hose fitting on the transom that allows you to run the motor while it is hanging in the dock, was this a Donzi Option?
Thanks for all your help on this one!

jstrahn
03-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Looks like this is the boat. See thread by "cimm" on 12-07-2010.

cimm (http://www.donzi.net/forums/member.php?u=11314)

1983 22 Classic
Hi guys! I am new to this forum and just purchased a 1983 22 Classic. This boat has 130 original hours and original Volvo power. Could this 22 be a time capsule? I have looked for other 22's from the early 80's and have yet to find one this old, and any vintage year with this few hours (130). At this point, I am not even sure if this boat is a 22C. It has a flush mounted black pop-up docking light at the very tip of the bow. Do you think this is a rare boat and could it possibly have an increased value because of its age and hours? Are you aware of any earlier or 1983 22C's? It is a one owner boat and has hung in the same dock for 27 years. Approximately 75% of its hours were from the single mechanic that has looked after this boat since it's purchase in 1983. This boat also has a hose fitting on the transom that allows you to run the motor while it is hanging in the dock, was this a Donzi Option?
Thanks for all your help on this one!

Here's the thread: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63865

Greg Guimond
03-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Was that spotlight offered as a factory option 25 years ago ?

Carl C
03-27-2011, 06:58 AM
It's an extremely cool and unique boat but is it another "museum piece" like Harbormaster's one off OB 22C?

Sweet little 16
03-27-2011, 07:05 AM
It is the trimable drive, & I had a merc small block 1987 22 classic with alpha drive or a SEI to be more exact & it ran a true 66 on GPS. It handled so much better than the big blocks did. That is the one I won the vintage Donzi class 2 years ago against 4 or 5 other Donzi's including a 502 newer 22. There were 3 boats faster than mine in the race but they could not handle the turns like the small block would & you also know me to be a little on the crazy side when driving a cassic. The neat thing about it was, once I got it rocking & rollin, I left the throttle at full the whole way around the 3 point course & only used the steering & trim. The only thing I was concerned with was I just knew that as close to the large buoys I was coming I thought I was going to pick up a tether line & be carrying a 5 foot orange buoy around the course with me. ha ha
If they are negotiable at all on that beauty, it looks like a sure winner for someone. Seems like a 290 horse small block compared to a 454/330 hp with a trs drive, this boat should perform very similar but be much more agile.
As far as price, once these Donzi classics get to a certain point, & either restored or kept in original condition they have no more depreciation. Your average 22 foot 1980's Donzis are normally 12,500 to 17,500. Every year or two, someone will offer a time capsule like this & you have to throw away the book & just jump. This boat should keep or increase in value in years to come, especially with Donzi only making Classics as special orders now. The older ones should start a nice upward movement. Especially with original style drive lines. Time will tell.
As far as the extras that come along with an original Donzi purchase, I still have my white with blue Donzi zipper Bag, the blue Donzi binder with all the literature, & sales contract from my 1st Donzi 1967 Baby 14 footer, along with an original 1967 Donzi Sales Brochure. I also have my Grandfathers cancelled check for the boat & also have the Donzi paddle. Years later I ran into John Chisolm & he gave me a Donzi Racing beach towel for Rose & some other really neat original stuff from Donzi between 1967 & 1985.
Tom & his 2c again
I am 30 mins from the boat if anyone needs a pair of eyes which do not seem necessay on this Baby, but would be glad to take a look if anyone would like. Of course it would be No Charge. T
you really can't compare this to an 87 with a merc, a 22 that was lighter with a more hydrodynamic drive. The 83 probably tip the scales at 3300 lbs.
I had a chance to see an older cig 20 with a 350ci/350hp volvo AQ drive . about the same weight has this 22 2 feet shorter and 60 more HP. It hit 60 gps'd.
the boat is a true time piece though, very original ,very nice.

CaribouLou
03-27-2011, 04:31 PM
This is the first 22 I have ever seen without thru-hull exhaust.
Beautiful boat.

Lots of 22's out there w/o thru hull

gcarter
03-27-2011, 07:12 PM
The docking light was an option.
Poodle has one on his Crit that is inoperaive (fried) due to the light switch failing to turn off the light. It's a really hot light.
I saw another on an 18 from the same era.
I've attempted to do a search for one on eBay but no luck.
Pretty rare it seems.
I don't think I've ever seen such a good original boat.
The problem for me would be the limitations of the original hardware and drive train.
I suppose you could take the attitude that it's has no exceptional value as a collectable and modernize it, otherwise it's a very pleasant museum piece.

HOWARD O
03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
That boat is absolutely beautiful, wish mine looked like that! Got to believe the Volvo and port steering is really rare. Most all 22's that I've seen of my vintage have the bolsters though and mine does too.

Tom, my boat will do exactly 62 mph, GPS.

Sweet little 16
03-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Well you have some good points there, I was also thinking about some early 22's that have 454 330 hp with trs drives & added Trany that run 58 to 62 mph. Our difference there might be that the 58 to 62 MPH might not be GPS #'s. But surely this rig would be quite a bit lesser weight than those, would it not? Just curious? Tom

Would think a guy who has owned and sold as many Donzi as you would know what a 290hp Volvo AQ is all about.

The trs big block is heavier but is more slippery and still putting out 40 more HP than the volvo. I have read here than moving the weight back or adding weight to the back is the key to making a 22 run fast and making handle better???

The Volvo 280T with the Y pipe is not a feather weight either.

This boat is very nice but with out having a total power plant modernization and throwing originality out the window it is really "it is what it is".

Good riser/headers could be added but without thru hull they may be only a slight weight saving and no real gain in letting the engine breathe.

I am not sure I could bring myself to take a drill or saw to that transom. So how far can you go in performance upgrades with out drilling or sawing??

who is going to invest 20k and then have to invest another 10-5k to reglass a pristine transom and put in a new power drive combo??? When they can basically spend the same ching on a newer boat??

But I digress, this boat is awesome and will need to go to someone who excepts her for what she is. This is the perfect tender on a big Yacht, great for sneaking away and back un-noticed from the little lady at the wee wee hours of the morning.

donzikid18
03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
My 83' 18 classic looks identical with the interior. Same color and gauges. Different drive and engine setup.... first one i have seen ! good looking boat and well taken care of.

Planetwarmer
03-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Who is going to invest 20k and then have to invest another 10-5k to reglass a pristine transom and put in a new power drive combo??? When they can basically spend the same ching on a newer boat??

Hopefully, NO ONE!:hangum:

jstrahn
03-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Hopefully, NO ONE!:hangum:

I agree. I see this boat as being similar to that classic car someone has with 100 miles on it. Say it's a 1977 Corvette...when ordered, it wasn't optioned up and it has a 350, No AC, etc.

At this point it's about maintaining the original since it's in such pristine unmolested condition.

If someone wants to see how fast they can go, they can pick up a really fast boat for $19,500.