PDA

View Full Version : Hatch piston question

Papu
03-24-2011, 08:59 AM
My 18 ft classic needs new gas springs for the engine hatch. Turns out they are available in 30, 60, and 90 lbs compression.
What are mine?
I think Josh said they are 20 inches extended.

Just Say N20
03-24-2011, 09:16 AM
How hard do you want to have to push to close the hatch?

Really, I have no clue. Jamie @ Lakeside could tell you.

Full-throttle
03-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Mine are in the 30lb range. Pretty sure 34 is printed on the side.

Papu
03-24-2011, 09:25 AM

I should have just called him in the 1st place. He will probably comment here soon...he is amazingly efficient.:)

gcarter
03-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Less is generally better than more.
For instance, I don't mind lifting the hatch a little and having the cylinders hold it up and easy to push down.

Too much puts a lot of stress on the hatch if you have to push down very hard. The hatch really isn't designed to have a big moment exerted on a fulcrum halfway back to the hinge.
Eventually, it could crack and fail.

DonziJosh
03-24-2011, 12:29 PM
The ones installed currently are 50 lbs.

Papu
03-24-2011, 12:44 PM
The ones installed currently are 50 lbs.

Hey, how's the warehouse coming?!
The website looking more interesting all the time. What is that amazing boat the mechanic is working on?
http://www.donzidirect.com/store/no-route?___store=default

DonziJosh
03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Hey, how's the warehouse coming?!
The website looking more interesting all the time. What is that amazing boat the mechanic is working on?
http://www.donzidirect.com/store/no-route?___store=default

That's a 43 ZR with staggered twin Teague 850s.

I've been working away at the website; should be finished with the shipping calculator any day now, which is the last real component needed in order to take the site "live." Once that's done, the content-loading will really begin. A lot of what you're seeing now is me messing around with layouts and listing templates as we get ready to really begin loading all the products.

I haven't committed to a firm launch date, but I expect we should be open for online business in around a month, give or take.

Rob M
03-24-2011, 06:36 PM
I haven't committed to a firm launch date, but I expect we should be open for online business in around a month, give or take.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Hope you can accommodate the needs of Hornet and Corsican owners too....

LKSD
03-25-2011, 05:51 AM

Thanks Bill.. :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

LKSD
03-25-2011, 05:52 AM
I should have just called him in the 1st place. He will probably comment here soon...he is amazingly efficient.:)

Phil, it was good talking with you yesterday.. :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

Donzo
03-28-2011, 01:51 PM
I just bought two new shocks for my 22. Seirra marine has some called NAUTALIFT. Mine were 20" long with 40 lbs. of pessure. I think I paid about $25 a piece for them. The insulation on my engine hatch was all dry rotted so I scraped it off. Is there any suggestions of what to replace it with?

gcarter
03-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I just bought two new shocks for my 22. Seirra marine has some called NAUTALIFT. Mine were 20" long with 40 lbs. of pessure. I think I paid about $25 a piece for them. The insulation on my engine hatch was all dry rotted so I scraped it off. Is there any suggestions of what to replace it with?

How about paint?

Papu
03-28-2011, 03:17 PM
How about paint?

That is quite funny, and wrong, :wink:.

Donzo
03-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Do people still put foam under the engine hatch?