PDA

View Full Version : Started my web site lots of Donzi's

Brian41
03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Just got my first web site going today and I am working on my banner to display here on The Donzi Registry. The members of this site have been good to me over the past several years and its my turn give some back. Now you will have to excuse the site because I made it myself and sorry but no sexy girls just strait to the point. I will be adding pages each week including a current projects page. Thanks Brian
www.orlandiperformance.com

hot shot
03-22-2011, 06:47 PM
I like it, But mabe I'm just bias :cool: I need to get an up dated avitar mabe u can help :bonk:

LKSD
03-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Just got my first web site going today and I am working on my banner to display here on The Donzi Registry. The members of this site have been good to me over the past several years and its my turn give some back. Now you will have to excuse the site because I made it myself and sorry but no sexy girls just strait to the point. I will be adding pages each week including a current projects page. Thanks Brian
www.orlandiperformance.com

Now now now, No need for any site or banner bashing.... :wink:

Congrats & Good luck with your site. To be honest I thought you had a site already, I knew you were out there.. None the less congrats on the site :)

I did mine myself as well, it is a lot of work and upkeep.. I get to the point as too, But you will have to excuse the girls on my site.. I just happen to like boats, cars & women.... ;) :)

Jamie / Lakeside

zelatore
03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Just got my first web site going today and I am working on my banner to display here on The Donzi Registry. The members of this site have been good to me over the past several years and its my turn give some back...

...if you are going to Advertise your services thru this site do you not think that you just might want to consider being a paid advertiser...

Sounds like he's planning on exactly that (?)

Brian41
03-23-2011, 11:54 AM
The pay part was done long ago and Scot has been more than fair with me by waiting this long. I talked to Scot last week and told him that it was going to happen soon and to show my fairness I have stayed away from the site as not to promote myself until now but many thanks to the members that have steered work my way.

I currently have 3 Donzi projects going on and will post more about them later (with owner approval of coarse).

In the past few years I have had the honor of working on several Donzi's from this site and have learn a lot about them. Last year I took 1 of the worst handling 22 Classics on record and made it right. As it turns out so far every boat I have checked since has this same problem but on a smaller scale. So if you are having handling issues or if your boat torque steers/rolls right or left under heavy acceleration.....call me. Thanks Brian

roadtrip se
03-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Brian was instrumental in the re-hab of the Flowerpot last year. The boat is a refreshed beast now. We added coring structure, some bottom repairs, a custom cradle, new tails for the CMIs, a new HD transom assembly, cleaned up some of the rigging I did on the first re-rig, and added a new shifter into the mix. Dropped the Potter Performance refreshed HP 500 in and off we went. While I am still dialing it in, the boat is night and day from what it was before in the handling department, as it just feels more solid and predictable at 80+.

I signed up with Brian, after I saw what he did for Mick. Since then, I have recommended three Donzi guys to Brian. One is done, one is in process, and one is still talking. Nice work, all the way around, no doubt.

Carl C
03-23-2011, 02:33 PM
As I stated on OSO, Brian is the only one I trust to work on my boat other than myself. There are pics of my boat and Roadtrip's and a whole section devoted to Hot Shot Mick's outrageous 22! Good show Brian:clap:.

Brian41
03-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Brian 41 , i would think that you would have had........ Scot already activate your account immedialety from Registered user to a paid Advertiser ...................... if you know what i mean .

I agree........working on that

Brian41
03-25-2011, 07:42 PM
I am a paid advertiser of this site and I am sure when Scot is up to it he will make the changes so that Offshore Ginger can be at peace that all is well and nobody is getting any undue advertising. I sent Scot a "the natives are getting restless" PM today.

I had a chance to read the last couple of posts before they got cleaned up and if Offshore Ginger was calling me a GOD then I thank you for that but its not necessary.

Carl did you ever get all the items you needed to get them working? I have the program but have not had the chance to use it on the 525's yet. I will have to look to make sure it has the digital to analog switch feature.

Bamboo Loui
03-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Brian-- Great!! glad to here you are getting it done! Brian spoke to me about this a long time ago- thanks to Air22 and specially Road trip- Brian has done some work on my boat-steering and more- excellent work!! and a Great Guy.:wrench:
way easy to get to if you live anywhere close to the Detroit-Toledo area--right off 75. Great facility and best of all Brian actually knows what he is doing. Now-that being said-I wish I could afford all the things I have talked with him about:frown: not that he is expensive-- it is just the list can get so long!!!!!
thanks for everything Brian and good luck!!

Doug

RickSE
03-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Brian, nice site.

I just wish you weren't so far away, otherwise I'd drop my boat off. After two attempts to fix my boat, one at the Sarasota factory and one locally, I'm still not satisfied and don't feel I can really run my boat to it's limits with out having stress crack issues on the bottom. Maybe I just run the boat too hard. :confused:

Am I wrong or does it look like someone's X-dim got lowered by maybe 1/2"? :wink:

Have you worked out any of the porpoise issues?

I've obviously done a long road trip before AZ to Sarasota & back and I am willing to do it again if I have confidence that it'll be done right. I'll probably give you a call and chat about my boat.

Brian41
03-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Brian-- Great!! glad to here you are getting it done! Brian spoke to me about this a long time ago- thanks to Air22 and specially Road trip- Brian has done some work on my boat-steering and more- excellent work!! and a Great Guy.:wrench:
way easy to get to if you live anywhere close to the Detroit-Toledo area--right off 75. Great facility and best of all Brian actually knows what he is doing. Now-that being said-I wish I could afford all the things I have talked with him about:frown: not that he is expensive-- it is just the list can get so long!!!!!
thanks for everything Brian and good luck!!

Doug

Thanks Doug and how are you? Its been a while. Yes the things that have to be done to go to the next level can reach deep into ones pockets. I have been there for years myself....not only is it my passion it is also my sickness. Regards Brian

RickSE,
I am sure we can take care of any problems you are having with the boat. Give me a call 734-586-0448 Thanks Brian

hot shot
03-27-2011, 11:03 AM
wow It looks like most of us think its cool and those that know brian know he is not looking for free advertising hell he can't keep up with the work he has let alone more but he felt being he was getting some donzi work off this site it would only be right to support it. but I guess there will always be a keyboard cowboy out there with something negitive to say GOOD LUCK BRIAN :shades:

roadtrip se
03-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Not to worry Mick, the favorable comments far outweigh the one or two negatives thrown in for color. Reality? The work and the word of mouth from happy customers is what matters most.

Brian, you have three boats to get done for AOTH, time to roll brother....

Rick, you should talk to Brian. I saw your boat run in Texas. Pretty similar to some of the things I have seen cleaned up here.
Each boat is different, but the fixes work and it doesn't really involve x-dim changes and that sort of thing. The Flowerpot didn't really
have any major handling issues before, but it still benefited from the re-rig at Orlandi Performance last year. I came up with the menu
of enhancements and Brian executed with quality. The boat is solid at speed now versus being a handfull before, so much so, that now it needs more go! Reach out to me, too, if you would like another view of things.

Brian41
03-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Roadtrip se , you and everyone else really need to lighten up on the personal attacks , including Brian .

Where are the personal attacks??????

Best I can figure is you must want advertiser status and are just making sure I am not getting it for free. I did notice that you are posting a link to a Skater you worked on. To me that is advertising if that is your business and not just a hobby. How much have you paid for that privilege?

mike o
03-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Roadtrip se , you and everyone else really need to lighten up on the personal attacks , including Brian .I guess I'm one of the "you'"s mentioned above.........:wink:. I think it might be the other way around. I.E. the "lighten up" thing - e. Simple little thread, about a simple little web page thats deteriorated to the unbeliable. Seems to happen way to much these days......:yes: Oh Ya Im way northeast......:kingme:

roadtrip se
03-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Roadtrip se , you and everyone else really need to lighten up on the personal attacks , including Brian .

What personal attacks? Not one in my posts here. All I did was suggest that people weigh all of the positive responses here versus yours, which could be easily interpreted as negative. My opinion? You are sticking your nose where it doesn't belong and ought to quit while you are ahead. If you are that worried that Brian hasn't paid to be an advertiser here, take it offline with the Harbormaster, and you will find out that you are wrong.

DickB
03-28-2011, 10:56 AM
The boat is solid at speed now versus being a handfull before, so much so, that now it needs more go!
Curious as to what things you did to tweak the handling.

Sweet Cheekz
03-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Good luck Brian

Parnell

zelatore
03-28-2011, 02:43 PM

I don't know, but if I had to guess the answer would be:

....ancient Chinese secret!

While we'd all like to know, I doubt he's keen to give away his proprietary info.

Of course if I'm wrong, I'll be eagerly watching this thread. Always good to learn something new!

Sweet Cheekz
03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
He may give you the 3,000 mile away discount and let you in on the info if you keep it quiet :)

Parnell

Brian41
03-28-2011, 04:16 PM
No secrets...... build it STRAIGHT, build it SOLID, add some HP and hold on. Drive height has nothing to do with the handling issues but raising it will add speed.

fogducker III
03-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Bzzzzzt , Carl , big deal but...........then again what do you Know , and after working at Skater , doing bottoms on all 46 footers adding pads or lifting strakes to to 32A'S or just down right blueprinting a bottom other then somebody wanting something else other then the norm on there boat , i think i just might have a clue on doing bottoms considering i have done more then my share of blueprinting bottoms over the years including Donzi's , and might i mention that doing a bottom (blueprinting) is pretty much cut and dry ... which means making sure everything is Straight , Razor sharp strake's , along with no hook's in the running surface ....which can mean a less wetted surface , along with more speed .

Just out of curiousity, what was your actual position at "Skater"..? You have mentioned working for various companys doing numerous things, just wondering if you are still "building" boats and where you got the knowledge, experience and expertise? Thanks.

roadtrip se
03-28-2011, 08:49 PM

Actually, I shared what we did to the Flowerpot a year ago, after it was finished. Happy to do it again.

One thing I did not do was blueprint the bottom. It is straight, so I decided it wasn’t worth messing with it. We did fix a few outside cracks around the rear strakes, due to flexing in the transom area and bilge pan, but that was it on the bottom. I didn’t feel like introducing any handling opportunities by messing around with the bottom any further, as my boat doesn’t take any tab input, and still doesn’t.

We then installed two layers of opposing glass, a layer of coring, and two more layers of glass in the bilge and up the sides of the stringers and feathered into the transom. Finished the bilge in gel as a primer and applied a bilge coat. This was at the suggestion of a few very knowledgeable folks here. We chose not to tear up the glassed-in bilge shelves, because there was no visible stress cracks under the engine mount inspection ports.

Then, we installed a heavy duty transom assembly, measured for a custom engine cradle that accounts for the shallow contour of the bilge, and fabbed custom engine mounts that sit on the top of the stringers. The cradle and engine mounts are a shining example of Brain’s ability to put something together from scratch. It was quite the engineering exercise. He made a believer of me with this exercise, as we worked through the options and he just made it happen.

End result? A boat that is 200% more rock solid than before. I always had problems with engine mounts vibrating loose and cracking in the bilge. Not anymore. The boat is rattle and vibration free, even with all of the reinforcement and tying everything together. It literally is an anvil.

I have also spent some time experimenting with custom splash plates for the shorty drive, which give more predictability and control at top end, by getting the nose down and keeping it there. This started with Phil Lipschultz, who sent me a custom plate free of charge to try, and finished with a good Donzi friend, who just happened to have a CNC router and custom fab capabilities in his machine shop.

The result? The boat is so stable at 80+ that you can drive it with little to no steering input. Now, I am working with Potter to dial in the power. Pretty much where it sits. No secret that it takes a lot of power to move these hulls.

I have a lot of fun with the Sandbaggers here and those of you who try to call them out. I certainly have gone to great lengths to fan these fires. I post all of this to give those of you a sense of the detail we went through to make my boat a beast. It also made the boat a lot more fun and SAFE to run at speed. Did I mention that it is a much SAFER boat now?

Brian worked with me to make it happen and the proof is in the dramatic improvement in the boat. I’ve seen him apply a different recipe in other boats, but the results have been equally as good. Especially on boats with significant handling problems.

roadtrip se
03-28-2011, 10:03 PM
RT-SE -.......So the bottom line is ................ could you really be trying to say that Donzi built a boat that was not that structuraly sound in the motor compartment area , and is that the reason for the added beef .....in the repair , Glass / core / and more glass ?

Ginger, why are you so negative? It is tedious.

I ran this boat with a 500EFI take-out for 200+ hours and eight years very hard. So when I decided to freshen the boat and power, I made some rigging and structural changes. If it was so inferior, I would not have bothered. It was an awesome ride and I just decided to make it better going forward, as I plan to keep running it even harder for a long time to come. It worked.

Sweet Cheekz
03-29-2011, 07:25 AM
. could you really be trying to say that Donzi built a boat that was not that structuraly sound in the motor compartment area , and is that the reason for the added beef .....in the repair , Glass / core / and more glass ?

From what I can see Donzi built boats for speeds in the range of 50-65 mph. Not that they were built poorly, just not overbuilt. Anyone putting more than 500hp in a classic Donzi is best served to strengthen their boats in critical areas if they plan on running their boats to the full potential big power offers. Just my .02

Parnell

hot shot
03-29-2011, 08:19 AM
I think we have our own version of Charlie Sheen here :drunk:

BUIZILLA
03-29-2011, 08:50 AM
and, in this corner.. :bonk:

Fishermanjm
03-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey guys,,, ever sence i was a kid (many moons ago) i wanted one of these boats donzi that is finally some 30 years later i got one i havent got it out yet except for the sea trial, and cant wait to terrorize narragansett bay, my boat has far from big power 6.2l with the bravo1 i'm gonna put SM exhaust on it and run the hell out of it and have an awsome time doin it, handling issues, strength issues, tell me i won't have these please,,, on the sea trial we got the boat up to 60mph at 5000 rpm's we were flying it was the coolest thing ever, except for the ride i got in donzijon's minx,,, i hope to have my 01 22 for a long time,

Sweet Cheekz
03-29-2011, 02:06 PM
[quote=Fishermanjm;595717] handling issues, strength issues, tell me i won't have these please,,, on the sea trial we got the boat up to 60mph at 5000 rpm's we were flying it was the coolest thing ever,

At 60 you will not have problems and you will have a great time. Congrats

Thanks artie

Well said GC

Parnell

RickSE
03-29-2011, 03:05 PM
RT-SE -.......So the bottom line is ................ could you really be trying to say that Donzi built a boat that was not that structuraly sound in the motor compartment area , and is that the reason for the added beef .....in the repair , Glass / core / and more glass ?
Ginger, we've known about this for several years now. The main issues came to light around 2005-2006, and there's lots of information on this site related to the issues and fixes that have been processed. Roadtrip & Brian are essentially on REV-5 or 6 of the overall fix.

Roadtrip, I like your REV. I'll be interesting to see how the cored bilge pan holds up and compares to the stffeners that Donzi was using. Along with the core you essentially have two more layers of glass then I do in this area, but them again I was supposed to have two additional layers in my hull from the get go. :bonk:

RickSE
03-29-2011, 03:11 PM
...handling issues, strength issues, tell me i won't have these please...

At 60 you will not have problems and you will have a great time. Congrats

Thanks artie

Well said GC

Parnell

Ditto

You should be fine with the 6.2L. Pretty much all the boats with stress problems had bigger power and the lighter weight of your 6.2L will probably enhance handling.

roadtrip se
03-29-2011, 08:49 PM
roadtrip ,just curious when has asking a simple question become so negative ? Hey guy you really need to lighten up or are you just having a bad hair day? :hyper:

So let me ask you a simple question then my friend, as a person who claims to have an extensive background in fiberglass work, if all I was trying to do was fix an inferior design, did I really need to an engine cradle and the myriad of other upgrades that I have documented here in detail? I'll answer the question. Probably not, so give it rest, as your comments ring as disingenuous to me.

I agree w/this 100%.
This design dates from the late 50's, w/Ray Hunt and his benefactor, Dick Bertram. None of these boats, in their heyday, went much over 60 MPH. When 1,200 HP was bolted in then, there were handling problems. Nothing really has changed. Name another means of locomotion where 50 year old technology and improved performance is possible? I really don't think you'll find any.
It's really pretty simple, If you want to go much over 70 safely and economically, get a different style of boat. It's not that it can't be done, it's that old rule about approaching infinity.
I personally think the AMH era of 22C hulls are better built than the previous generation. In the '70's and '80's, not many bolt in engines existed in HP ratings over 425. That was really pushing the hull......
Read my TR thread and the hull problems I had to fix.
I really think the open strake pockets, thicker stringers spaced further apart, and the stringer shelves make a big difference in the AMH era hulls.
Keep in mind, the standard engine for the '70-'80's boats was 330 HP. The standard for AMH boats was/is 385-425 HP w/a few 500-525's thrown in. The different hulls were built accordingly. For instance, due to stringer spacing, the '80's boats won't accept an engine bracket. Things like this make a big difference.
I know the AMH boats have had their issues, I also think they're fairly well understood, and can be addressed satisfactorily. I often read posts from folks that want to bolt on a lot of hardware thinking the foundation (the hull) is up to the task, I would reccomend stepping back, and probably tripleing their budget.

George, if I had followed your advice on 70 or less, I would still be running the 502 Mag the boat came with. Reality? This hull has lots of fun per horsepower than any of the offshore boats I had before it and I have been running at 80+ for almost a decade in a 22 Classic. It can be done safely with the right set-up and many others have been doing it as long as I have without issue. Come see it for yourself at AOTH, where some are going to touch 90 this year.

roadtrip se
03-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Todd, I know this all too well. All you need is a fairly large investment and a lot of work. That's what my analogy to the price of appraching infinity was all about.
Of course, on the other side of that same coin is Jim Collins and his minimalist approach w/a blown stock Magnum 454, a shorty, steering, and 92 MPH, which he's been doing for years now.
Jim's my hero.

Sorry George, I am not going to speak for Jim and his set-up as I don't have his permission, but I have been involved in several conversations with him over the years about solving for the unique opportunties that have come up with his boat. It has been far from a "minimalist" approach. No truly high performance boat ever is, but you either enjoy the challenges or you don't. And it costs, simple as that.

CaribouLou
03-29-2011, 09:51 PM
I hate this thread.

Brian41
03-30-2011, 06:47 AM
How do I clean this thread up, remove unwanted posts or should I end it here and start over?????

Fishermanjm
03-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Brian,,, end it

Just Say N20
03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
As the creator of the post, I know you can close or lock the thread. I don't believe you can remove the entire thread, or posts written by others. The moderator can perform those tasks.

maddad
03-30-2011, 10:35 AM
If you would like it gone for now, maybe you could move it to an area that can't be viewed, like politics, with no redirect.

Jraysray
03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
You could ask that everyone delete their off topic posts. Otherwise Harbormaster has to do it but we know he has been pretty busy lately. Or you could end it and start over :).

Meanwhile I will scroll through and see if I can clean up my posts.(done!)

Lock it down and it floats downstream like Carl's FB thread...... :wink::tongue::)

Sorry Carl but that was a funny thread. Cracked me up.

Brian41
04-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks Scot..... I hope everybody feels better now.

Brian41
04-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Brian , just curious ....................what are your shop rates $$$$$$ for upgrades and what not ?

Art,
My shop rate is $80.00 an hour.Bring your boat in and we will give you an estimate on anything you need. Did I mention we have one of the best glass guy's in the business on our team? I think you know him as Re-Pete.

yeller
04-06-2011, 02:33 PM
No secrets...... build it STRAIGHT, build it SOLID, add some HP and hold on. Drive height has nothing to do with the handling issues but raising it will add speed.There are a lot of us that have 22's that porpoise horribly. Many don't mention it here for one reason or another, but I have many PM's and emails from others curious if I ever solved mine (because they are in the same "boat"). I'm much too far away to have you look at my boat, or I'd be there tomorrow. I have enough HP for what I want. I believe its solid enough, because my cracking issues haven't reappeared since I've had it repaired. As far as Straight.......do you have experience in straightening a 22C bottom to get rid of an excessive porpoise issue?
I'm not sure if you can answer this without seeing the boat, but do you think an excessive porpoise problem on a 22C would be caused mostly due to poor strakes...or hull bottom...or both??

I have been searching for a solution for 5yrs, so if you can help, it would be a god-send. :yes: :bighug:

Thanks,
Glen

Brian41
04-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Wow!!!!

Marlin275
04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
i was really going to send him some business ......from his side of the state .

Just do it . . .
roadtrip se
04-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Guys, may I suggest that it would be time to try out the ignore function here?

Marlin275
04-06-2011, 09:40 PM
....................where are your credits ? WOW !!!!!

Hey Artie you really need to quit beating Brian's balls about something as stupid as credits .

Artie if you are going to Advertise your services thru this site do you not think that you just might want to consider being a paid advertiser like Jammie ?

Walt. H.
04-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Hey you two' This immature crap isn't going to end well if it continues, think about it!

OFFSHORE GINGER
04-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Hey you two' This immature crap isn't going to end well if it continues, think about it! Walt , you are so very right and on my end it is over .....................out.