PDA

View Full Version : Stringer Wood Core & Strength

silverghost
03-22-2011, 01:19 AM
I was wondering how much strength & structure the stringer wood core actually gives to the stringers on a Donzi 16 or 18 ?

Most of the wood stringer core is fairly thin in cross section & solid soft wood, plywood, or in some cases mahogany is it not ?

Is the real strength & structure of the stringers not in the shape & thickness of it's fiberglass shell laminations ?

Does the interior core wood really add very much to the stringer's real strength ?

I have stringer wood core rot; at least in the aft transom & engine bed area..
I am just wondering how far I should go foreward in replacing my stringer's old core ?

I suspect the plywood bulkheads are also rotten near the center keel & PVC pipe drain hole areas.

The lower half of my transom core is also rotten & I will replace it's entire wood core.

This rot is near the center drain hole, speedo pilot tube moutig & hose holes and the lower outdrive cut-out !

LKSD
03-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Brad, In short the cores are important. If they are compromised anywhere they need to be repaired or replaced. Regardless of if it is in the framing, transom or deck, etc... They do add strength and rigidity so it is advisable to address them.. :) The most common materials for repair/replacement are plywood & coosa for the frames & transom. :)

Jamie / Lakeside

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Brad, In short the cores are important. If they are compromised anywhere they need to be repaired or replaced. Regardless of if it is in the framing, transom or deck, etc... They do add strength and rigidity so it is advisable to address them.. :) The most common materials for repair/replacement are plywood & coosa for the frames & transom. :)

Jamie / LakesideBrad , i agree with Jamie 100% , and to tell you truth ...... sometimes it is just better to go ahead and replace everything because in the long run it just might save you some time , and when all is said and done at least you will know what you got . Brad , the intermittent framing between the stringers , deck , ext , adds a whole lot of structural intergrity to the build of the boat . and might i mention Coosa's Bluewater 26 offers a great product which i have started using more and more of these days. http://coosacomposites.com/bluewater.html

HallJ
03-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Many O.E. builders are using this stuff as well-
http://www.spaceagesynthetics.com/

Jeff