PDA

View Full Version : Picture posting

yeller
03-20-2011, 11:32 AM
I have been noticing that almost all pictures being posted lately are big to huge (in file size). Even with my hi-speed connection, it often takes too long to load the pics and I give up. I am sure I am not alone in this as this topic has come up before.

I am making a friendly request that images be resized before posting.
There are lots of free image resizers available that will pretty much keep the picture the same physical size, yet drastically reduce the file size. There really is no reason to post a pic larger than a few hundred k. The free windows picture resizer I use will reduce a 3Meg pic down to about 150k and still maintain a good quality.

Besides making the pictures load much faster, reducing the size will also help save space on the Harbormasters server.

Thanks,
Glen :)

Greg Guimond
03-20-2011, 11:46 AM
You make a good point Yeller. I thought the site would automatically force you to downsize pics?

silverghost
03-20-2011, 01:28 PM
I too am having these same issues~~~
The connection I use for this site is still on a 56K dial-up connection !
Large photos lock-up my "antique" computer & dial-up connection !

MOP
03-20-2011, 02:36 PM
In the right hand column there is Microsofts resizer, once loaded it is extremely easy to use. Simply right any photo, click resize then select the desired size. The original stays intact so no worries about your photos. I had a 175G photo file, I high lighted the entire file and resized it to normal screen size. The size of the file went down to 110G, I then deleted the large ones.

Phil

Resizer Link
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Just Say N20
03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Most of the time I resize larger pictures to 1024 x 768. That seems to be a decent size, but not a huge file.

yeller
03-20-2011, 11:36 PM
MOP, that's the program I use. It's super simple and works great. I never post a pic without running it through that resizer program first. :yes:

Sweet little 16
03-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Maybe I am missing something here, don't you get the pics in 3 sizes??? the board software when a pic is attached to a thread puts it in a thumbnail first. Then when clicked on it gives you a medium size blow up with a black border. Finally it gives you the full picture if you decide to view it. It also gives you the size of the pic if you drag you mouse over it.

I like the large pics especially when detail is needed. It seems like it is my choice view the thumbnail, if I want more I click it, if I need more click again.

I can stop any where along the line I like. I don't understand why we need to keep things small ?? For someone who has throw an anchor out in the bay of 90's technology?????

MOP
03-21-2011, 01:34 PM
I like many I have spoken with find the large photos almost to the point of being thoughtless and obnoxious. I have a large wide screen monitor and it aggravates me to have to scroll all over due to the over sized pictures, on my laptop I will kill a post rather than deal with it!

Sweet little 16
03-21-2011, 02:09 PM
I like many I have spoken with find the large photos almost to the point of being thoughtless and obnoxious. I have a large wide screen monitor and it aggravates me to have to scroll all over due to the over sized pictures, on my laptop I will kill a post rather than deal with it!

So what you are saying is it doesn't work for you the way I stated ??? You don't get the option for file size and a choice of thumbnail , medium size , then full size????.

silverghost
03-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I guess I just like old stuff~~~

30-40 year old Donzis~~~
Pre-1936 old Antique cars
&~~~
56 K dial up connections !

I guess I just like living in the past ?

jstrahn
03-21-2011, 04:15 PM
I see how it would be annoying on dial-up connections.

I really do like huge/detailed pictures in the for sale section. It really gives you a better indication of the boat's condition when you can see clearly.

MOP
03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
So what you are saying is it doesn't work for you the way I stated ??? You don't get the option for file size and a choice of thumbnail , medium size , then full size????.

I do not see any option in the manage attachments to size photos, I use the MS resizer for 1024X768 doing so keeps not only the photo to fit the page. It also keeps the post page a size that does not require scrolling to read the text. It bugs me and quite a few others having to use the slider constantly on some pages, many sites have a resizer posted at the top of each page. Another big point was brought up earlier the big photos eat up server space, to me it is courteous to size them correctly.

Sweet little 16
03-21-2011, 07:12 PM
I do not see any option in the manage attachments to size photos, I use the MS resizer for 1024X768 doing so keeps not only the photo to fit the page. It also keeps the post page a size that does not require scrolling to read the text. It bugs me and quite a few others having to use the slider constantly on some pages, many sites have a resizer posted at the top of each page. Another big point was brought up earlier the big photos eat up server space, to me it is courteous to size them correctly.

I think I have an idea of what is happening. let's see if you get the same results. here is the largest pic I could find 4000X3000.

If I am correct it will not make your browser go to the scroll bar it's 2.29 MB.

one click and it goes to the medium size another click and it goes to a new window and can be expanded to it's full size

If I am correct then the issue happens when people use the image code and force the full size picture into the thread instead of using the attachment option .

Drag your mouse over the thumbnail it doesn't give you the file size???

Just Say N20
03-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Cursor over the thumbnail gives file size. When you open it, it opens to a size that fits your screen, and on a MAC it shows that it is 22% size with a magnifying cursor. When you click on it, it then opens to a HUGE size.

It is when people paste image links to pictures this size, that it causes you to have to scroll back and forth from one side to the other to read the text.

Sweet little 16
03-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Cursor over the thumbnail gives file size. When you open it, it opens to a size that fits your screen, and on a MAC it shows that it is 22% size with a magnifying cursor. When you click on it, it then opens to a HUGE size.
It is when people paste image links to pictures this size, that it causes you to have to scroll back and forth from one side to the other to read the text.

Thanks I thought I was missing something.

So the image code should not be used when the pic is huge just use a link.
For the dialup crowd and the people who get bugged, The simple solution is to uncheck the image box in their user cp. This will allow the thread to stay small and a link will be displayed that can be opened in a new window for any attachments or images. This way they can see how big the file is and make a choice to download or not.

As for the smaller pics, look at the huge picture I posted and try to see the details that are evident. These details are not evident in a smaller size.

Sweet little 16
03-21-2011, 08:52 PM
so this would be the right thing to do, to post a link to the huge pic use the url code

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62417&d=1300752467

Sweet little 16
03-21-2011, 08:53 PM
this would be the wrong thing to do , using the image code to insert the image

[IMG]http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62417&d=1300752467

yeller
03-21-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't get an option to download different sizes. If I click on the posted thumbnail, the pic downloads and displays in a medium size, then if I click on the pic, it displays in it's full size. Dispite the pic originally displaying in a medium size, the downloaded file size isn't any smaller, so the time to download can still take too long