PDA

View Full Version : 270t help

dcarone
03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
I have a early 16 Ski Sporter completely restored
BUT
The bearings in what I understand to be drive shaft housing are shot
It has a 351 ford and there is no room to move the motor forward to put another type of out drive on it (Merc)
SO I AM TOLD
any help would be appriciated

Thanks

Don

Conquistador_del_mar
03-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Don,
My guess is that your intermediate housing bearings (sometimes one and sometimes two) are shot unless you are hearing the u-joints. Unbolt the engine from the bell housing and you will be able to pull the engine to check the bearings out. I was able to find the intermediate bearing for a 1971 Volvo 270 - brand new. You should do it before the bearing shatters the housing - :bonk: Bill

mphatc
03-14-2011, 07:27 PM
you'll need to pull the engine to remove the intermediate case, inside there are two bearings that support the shaft. These originally were fluid lubricated from inside with seals on the ends. Old fashioned.

These can easily be rebuilt with new sealed bearings, the bearings area standard size. Available from Mcmaster Carr and other sources.

Mario L.

Sweet little 16
03-14-2011, 07:29 PM
just incase why not pull the drive and run it. This will eliminate the U joints all all the stuff in the upper that spins. Then you'll know if you need to pull the engine.