PDA

View Full Version : Still Tough To Fathom

Greg Guimond
03-12-2011, 11:17 PM
woodsy
08-02-2005, 08:45 AM
I have decide to part out my Donzi 22 Classic OB.

Its a 1983 Donzi 22 Classic. It was the only factory documented outboard produced. I have most of the documentation. The boat is in excellent shape, probably a 9 out of 10. It has Eddie Marine tabs, Gaffrig controls, Land & Sea 4" Jackplate, interior is mint, no rips or tears. Has a cockpit cover and a full custom cover.

The boat sits on a 2001 custom steel trailer from Performance Trailer, Lake George NY. The trailer is in excellent condition, I originally had it made for my Yellow 97 Classic. The only real miles on it other than the 1/4 mile trip to the boat launch are one trip to KY and one trip to Lake George in NY. The trailer is black with dual axles & aluminum wheels, spare tire holder, inline brake actuator (looks nicer) and surge brakes on the front axle.

I have the motor for sale in the motor section...

Basically bolt on your power & go....

This stuff has got to go... $12,000 obo with trailer - $10,000 obo without trailer

If you have any questions, you can call @ 978-502-5465 or e-mail woodsy65@yahoo.com

MAKE ME AN OFFER

Woodsy
Mdabah
08-26-2008, 09:23 AM

any more pictures buddy?

Dean Dorsey
08-26-2008, 10:02 AM

There's a rare one! No snow allowed in posting pictures until at least December! You will be fined for your next offense!

berg969
08-26-2008, 10:16 AM

the post is from 2005

harbormaster
09-09-2008, 06:25 PM

Don't shoot me. Here it is today...

Michael J Giesler
09-09-2008, 06:52 PM

you wrecked a KILLER OB DONZI why!!!!!!!

WOT RACING
09-09-2008, 08:25 PM

Agreed.. Wrecked a Awesome one of a kind Donzi and a great website even though that was done years ago... Sorry couldnt help myself......

Greg G
09-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Why would you remove a piece of boating history when there are 50 I/O's to choose from any given month ?

JrCRXHF
09-10-2008, 07:04 AM

A not cool use of a car motor.

IXtreme
09-10-2008, 09:19 AM

All i can say is woooooow!!!!!!

Tony Montana
09-11-2008, 08:43 AM

what is so rare about a 22 donzi?:confused:

blkmtrfan
09-11-2008, 10:07 AM

what is so rare about a 22 donzi?:confused:

I/O ones no

But one that came for the factory with an OB....

Cleavor
09-11-2008, 03:03 PM

The ONLY 22 Donzi outboard ever made and this guy turns it into an everyday Donzi I/O? WTF!? If you wanted an I/O Donzi, you could have literally picked your dream boat from 100s, if not 1000's out there. Instead you eliminated a piece of boating history. I toned it down a bit, I was a little rude there.

BUIZILLA
09-11-2008, 03:40 PM

I am going to defend Harbormaster here.... he bought the boat not knowing it was ill handling with the outboard setup. Maybe, just maybe, that's why they only built ONE, out of 30 years of 22 Classics being built. Consider that last sentence... He is NOT a rich man, but he is a boater with budget means to do so. He works fulltime in the boating industry. He took a monstrous paycut to do that too. With that said, it was more economical for HIM to convert it to an I/O... there is a TON of work in what he did. The work is done VERY well, and professional. You will notice it is sans windshield... how many from the factory do you think came like that?? not many.... I don't think he even remotely deserves some of these comments.

JH

Cleavor
09-11-2008, 03:57 PM

Say what you will, but he could have had his pick of older Donzi I/Os, not had to do the work and not had to destroy a piece of history. I am sorry, but I disagree completely.

That being said, it is his boat, he paid his money and he can do what he wants to it, even if I would never, ever consider doing the same thing myself.

BUIZILLA
09-11-2008, 04:31 PM

he didn't destroy anything...... quite the contrary, in a LOT of ways he made it much better than it was before...

he changed it to better suit HIS boat to HIS needs with HIS money on HIS time...

I am a diehard clamp on fan, and I gave him some crap about it myself, but in this instance, he felt it was the RIGHT thing to do for himself.

:cheers:

Cleavor
09-11-2008, 04:43 PM

Agreed, now that I have given him some crap over it, I will shut up and let him enjoy HIS toy.

:cheers:

mr fun
09-12-2008, 05:52 AM

:eek: i see it all over the dock, and somebodys walkin in it barefooted :iagree:

Greg G
09-13-2008, 06:04 AM

While I agree that everyone is free to do what he or she wants to .........

I will not agree that taking the only OB hull that Donzi ever produced, with a documented provenance, and turning it into an I/O is respectful in any way to the brand.

Maybe some less draconian measures .........

Install a pad ............$2,000
Add a step ............$1,500
Expert setup .............$1,000

Take out SN 001 of marine history ............priceless

gcarter
03-13-2011, 06:36 AM
I've seen it.
It's a nice boat.
It wasn't so hot as an OB.
Simple :yes:

Just Say N20
03-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Greg, I had to smile a little bit as I read your post. This is a "tongue-in-cheek" post, by no means meant as an attack on you. I live in this particular glass house with some of the changes I have made to my 1967 Ski-Sporter with respect to originality.

While more than 1 Donzi 16 O/B were made, compared to I/O 16s they could also be considered rare. While you haven't converted your O/B into an I/O, you have done more substantial modifications to it than any 16 that I am aware of.

It is your boat, and you are improving it to your liking. But technically speaking, you have "killed" one of the original, rare 16 O/B boats by doing your modifications. Perhaps if it were the only ONE, you would not have done so. But if you bought it to run it, and it totally su¢ked as an O/B, would you have put it in a corner of your garage to preserve it, and bought another boat to use, just so no one else could ruin its originality?

While in a perfect world, it might have been better if a collector (the type of person who would have a bunch of "trailer queen" show cars) bought that one, lone 22 O/B, and stuck it in a museum somewhere to be preserved, Donzi people tend to really run the daylight out of their boats.

If the 22 O/B did not perform well as an eggbeater boat, it would not be very enjoyable unless it spent its life on a trailer. So it was converted and enjoyed.

Sweet little 16
03-13-2011, 08:54 AM
one point that hasn't been brought out on this is:

1. the decision for the coversion was not made in haste.

2. the future of the boat was basically held in the collective hands of the membership here. People voiced their opinion don't do it. the owner offered the boat for a very fair price everyone knew what it was . It was stated if it is so rare and needs to be saved someone step up and save it. That never happened.

3. the owner built his donzi the way he wanted, it's his boat ,he did a nice job, the boat is enjoyed and cared for case closed( maybe this has been said by George and Bill)

Carl C
03-13-2011, 09:11 AM
I wonder why Donzi would sell it if it turned out so bad.

Just Say N20
03-13-2011, 09:49 AM
I wonder why Donzi would sell it if it turned out so bad.

Perhaps someone custom ordered it.

BUIZILLA
03-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Perhaps someone custom ordered it. which is what happened, first with a single, then twins, then back to a heavy single with big setback... that was the problem... short setback or on the transom would have been a different animal, probably a good one

Carl C
03-13-2011, 10:05 AM
which is what happened, first with a single, then twins, then back to a heavy single with big setback... that was the problem... short setback or on the transom would have been a different animal, probably a good one

OK. I doubt that the boat would have had any real collector value with the OB set-up. I don't see any harm done.

Greg Guimond
03-13-2011, 10:13 AM
:bonk:

Carl C
03-13-2011, 11:24 AM
:bonk:

Why the head bonk? These boats don't seem to be like cars in that the rare ones and limited editions don't seem to hold big value. Now if Ford made a one off big block Mustang that would be a completely different animal.....

Craig S
03-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Now if Ford made a one off big block Mustang that would be a completely different animal.....

...like the Boss 429 powered '94 Mustang?
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CSTANF%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-21.png

gcarter
03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
...like the Boss 429 powered '94 Mustang?
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CSTANF%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-21.png

Or a Cammer powered Mustang!!!!

yeller
03-22-2011, 09:45 AM
As I remember it, no wanted the boat as is. It was for sale for quite some time. Woodsy was parting it out, because it wouldn't sell. The Harbormaster did what NO ONE else was willing to do and that was lay out the cash to try and save it. Well apparently it sucked as a boat and it wasn't until after it was starting to be converted that some poeple started objecting. Even as they were complaining, they could have offered to buy it and save it.....but that didn't happen either.

Well....they had their chance to buy it and save it, but passed it up. It's just easier to point the finger at someone else.

It's a fiberglass hulled boat that had an outboard put on it. It can always be returned to stock if desired. Not a big deal.

Rumblefish
03-22-2011, 04:35 PM
[quote=Greg Guimond;593959]woodsy
08-02-2005, 08:45 AM
I have decide to part out my Donzi 22 Classic OB.

Hey Greg ..Question.. on your 22.. Wasnt sure if you were Parting out the boat as you posted or if you were selling less OB.. Rare History for sure.

I am looking for Trim items is why I re- ask about your post title..

Let me Know Greg

HIGH LIFE
03-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Rumblefish, Greg does not own a 22 , the 22 O/B was owned by Woodsy, than sold to Harbormaster. Greg has 2 - 16's. If I was on this site earlier I would have bought it, being located in my backyard !!! Greg & I are O/B guys. I was looking to buy a older 22 I/O and put a bracket on it, he gave me a friendly tounglashing on doing this conversion. There is a 21' Cigarette for sale on here, already an O/B. I have a spare 300X I could put on it. "HIGH LIFE"

Rumblefish
03-24-2011, 06:50 PM
ahhh.. Thanks for the clearification...