PDA

View Full Version : EFI and MPI

Fishermanjm
03-12-2011, 04:15 PM
I've got a question,,, what is the difference
between the EFI engines and MPI engines?
Is it just a different engine controller fuel injection?
I bought the mercruiser scan tool and ofcourse
the data link connector that they sent with it is
different from the one on the engine. I'm thinking
I just got the wrong connector.

mrfixxall
03-12-2011, 04:35 PM
I've got a question,,, what is the difference
between the EFI engines and MPI engines?
Is it just a different engine controller fuel injection?
I bought the mercruiser scan tool and ofcourse
the data link connector that they sent with it is
different from the one on the engine. I'm thinking
I just got the wrong connector.

Efi usually batch fire the injectors and the mpi will usually fire the injectors individually in the firing order..

silverghost
03-12-2011, 05:04 PM
EFI or Electronic Fuel Injection usually just used two injectors on a special intake manifold in a throttle body style injection and throttle air plate unit.

MPI or Mulit- Port Injection does in fact use a seperate fuel injector for each and every single cylinder. This type gives the most power and efficient fuel usage with lower exhaust emissions.

Which style of Fuel Injection do you have ?
AND
Which scan tool # & adapter plug #?
What is the year & model # of your engine ?

Someone here can possibly get you the correct scanner and adapter #s for your engine application ?

Most newer marine engines are MPI units.

There should be an adaptor for the later Mecruiser scan tools for each style of Fuel Injection type I would think ?.

Tony
03-12-2011, 06:10 PM
So then what does my 7.4 GSi stand for?

:beer:

mrfixxall
03-12-2011, 08:21 PM

Gas Sucking Induction :eek:

Tony
03-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Good one, Fixx!

Seriously, though, I think you may be on to something...

...and with the price of petrol nowadays it could get ugly this summer!

Buddyc
03-12-2011, 09:51 PM

U crack me up. Good one:thewave:

silverghost
03-12-2011, 11:00 PM

I have no dang idea what "GSI" stands for ???

I'll go with "Gas Sucking Induction " from now on too !

It's not that far from the truth ~~~~

FIXX ~~~I love the name !

Fishermanjm
03-13-2011, 02:38 PM
I do have an mpi engine. 01 6.2L. The data link
connector is right next to the Engine controller
it's a 10 pin connector. I'm gonna call Rinda tech
tomorrow an find out what happened. I called them an
ordered the scan tool.

Bobby D
03-14-2011, 11:50 AM
I have a 5.7 GSi and that’s my answer the next time someone asks.

Ghost
03-14-2011, 12:30 PM

The Volvo middle initial always struck me as likely being marketing-speak, used just as an indicator of the relative power (Gi was the lowest horsepower at a given displacement--GSi and GXi were higher). The 'G' seemed likely to be 'gasoline' and the 'i' likely 'injection.' And now they are adding other initials, like 'C' for catalytic converter models, etc.

ALthough I don't KNOW that any of that stuff means what I assume. For instance, the fuel injected models use 'i' which seems like injection, but the carbureted models use 'L', as in '4.3 GL', which doesn't leap out at me. Though I could be missing something. And also I don't speak Swedish, if that matters. And when these things live and evolve over long periods, they usually aren't completely consistent.

All that said:
1. If anyone knows more about the Volvo designators, please chime in.
2. The distinction made earlier, between the two TYPES of injection (which Merc calls EFI and MPI), has thus far been left out of the Volvo talk. If anyone knows what sort Volvo uses now and has used in the past, that would be even more interesting to learn.

Ghost
03-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Stumbled into this on BoatTest.com:

One factor of these Volvo Penta gas engines that many find confusing, including us, is the nomenclature of each engine type. Gi, GX, GXi… etc. What does it mean? It’s really simple code. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll realize it’s pretty straightforward. Write this down…

First off, they all start with G, like in Gas.

• GL – Low output. This is for lower end 4.3s at 190-hp. There are no “L” engines above 4.3.

• GX – X is for Extreme. Why not use E for Extreme??? We’ll get to that later. Generally an “X” engine has another 20-45 extra horses for an engine of the same size. The 8.1 Gi is rated at 375-hp. The 8.1 GXi is 420-hp.

• i – Fuel injected. No carburetor. For some reason it’s the only letter identifier that is in lower case and it’s good for the engine, but wreaks havoc on a spell check. The 8.1 GXi is extreme hp and fuel injected.

• C – Engines with this designator will be equipped with a catalytic converter, just like in your car. This is a new requirement and any 8.1 engines manufactured after 12/09 are required to be equipped with the converters.

• (E) – The engine is set up to accommodate EVC or Electronic Vessel Control. This is the coolest thing to come along since ice and we’ll get into it in greater detail later. You can also see our dedicated video on the benefits of EVC. For now, let’s just stick with the basics and also the fact that now we know why “E” doesn’t stand for Extreme.

So to sum it all up, an 8.1 GXiC(E) will be a 8.1, Gas engine, Extreme hp, fuel injected, equipped with a Catalytic converter, and accommodate EVC. See, simple.

Carl C
03-30-2011, 10:15 PM

Get Sexual Intercourse http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070726102140AAZNKAz

Ghost
03-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Get Sexual Intercourse http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070726102140AAZNKAz

Sounds like maybe you turned a spellchecker loose on "volvo-penta" :)