PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 225 outboard question

Seacat
03-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Anyone know what these exhaust (?) ports do on a Johnson outboard? The marine mechanic said there was corrosion and welded them shut. Seems to run louder now. Is there a potential for damage? :bonk:

MOP
03-11-2011, 05:20 PM
They are the relief ports, without them the back pressure is to high for it to run at idle and very low speeds.

P.S. GET A NEW MECHANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seacat
03-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Did not make sense to me............I was sure they are there for a purpose.

Thanks

Conquistador_del_mar
03-11-2011, 07:39 PM
They are the relief ports, without them the back pressure is to high for it to run at idle and very low speeds.

P.S. GET A NEW MECHANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the same motor on my center console fishing boat - I can't even imagine a real mechanic welding them closed - :bonk:

Seacat
03-11-2011, 07:52 PM
But it is large marina repair shop. I was told "not to worry" they do it all the time? :mad:

BUIZILLA
03-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I had 2 of those engines, best Johnson's I ever owned, in fact, I rebuilt mine and my gen mgr's engines in my shop...... the welder (he's not a mechanic) is a complete idiot

Greg Guimond
03-11-2011, 08:07 PM
welded them shut? just when you think you've heard everything :nilly:

dsparis
03-11-2011, 08:19 PM
I like the " we do it all the time" part.

silverghost
03-11-2011, 08:34 PM
If I were you I would find myself another marina with a REAL trained outboard mechanic~~~

There was NO good reason for that butcher's crazy welding job !

You ask if there is any potential for damage ?

It looks like the damage has already been done by the Marina's "Mechanic" !

I hate to hear a sad story like this .

Conquistador_del_mar
03-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Anyone know what these exhaust (?) ports do on a Johnson outboard? The marine mechanic said there was corrosion and welded them shut. Seems to run louder now. Is there a potential for damage? :bonk:

By the way, if the exhaust area was corroded and they welded it closed, I would think they could have just repaired the corroded area. Why not die grind it back to the original ports now? Just a thought. Bill

Team Jefe
03-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Um.....WOW:eek:, come on, that didn't really happen? did it????:confused:

Seacat
04-22-2011, 06:20 PM
I have been trying to locate a 1990 midsection, but no luck so far. Does the exhaust port holes occur in the adapter? That might be a better solution? Without taking the cowling off, I am not sure. Any advice is appreciated. :yes:

Seacat
06-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Several mechanics have said that I can just drill the ports out and all should be well? Anyone have a close-up picture of "what" they look like (before welding) that they can share. Johnson 225HP, 1990 25"

Thanks

Offset
06-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I am pretty sure that I had those ports on my Mercury as well. If you can drill them out use grease on the bit to retain any chips, although having said that I am not sure that the chips could get back "up" into the powerhead in any case. Better safe than sorry.

As long as the mechanic did not get huge weld penetration I would thing drilling it out would be fairly simple.

Good luck with it.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Several mechanics have said that I can just drill the ports out and all should be well? Anyone have a close-up picture of "what" they look like (before welding) that they can share. Johnson 225HP, 1990 25"

Thanks

I will try to remember to take a picture of mine this afternoon. The one I have is the same year Johnson, but mine is the 200HP - same ports, etc. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
06-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I will try to remember to take a picture of mine this afternoon. The one I have is the same year Johnson, but mine is the 200HP - same ports, etc. Bill

Apparently, the relief port on my 1990 200HP is above where your welding was done. I am a little confused by your picture unless additional ports were on your engine. Here is a picture of mine. Hope this helps. Bill

Seacat
04-07-2012, 05:48 PM
End of story..........I drilled the ports open and she runs great now. What a difference!

Conquistador_del_mar
04-07-2012, 06:31 PM
That is some good news - :yes:. Bill