PDA

View Full Version : Sweet 16 Prop Question (sorry)

tjags
03-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I know the prop discussions are boring, but I've searched through all the old posts and can't find my answer.

I'm running an aluminum prop that I would like to replace with a stainless. What brand and size should I be looking for? I would want good all around performance for skiing and speed.

Running a 1990 OMC King Cobra 4.3l V6.

Thanks!

MOP
03-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Post your current prop size and your top RPM, that will give the guys a good idea where to point you.

Phil

tjags
03-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Post your current prop size and your top RPM, that will give the guys a good idea where to point you.

Phil

I'm running a 14x23 Michigan Wheel Vortex, aluminum. From my memory, at 57mph (spedo) I'm just shy of 5,000 rpm.

MOP
03-12-2011, 03:04 PM
You are turning just a tad high, I would try to borrow a 24" S/S prop. An S/S prop turns about 100RPM more than an Aluminum one, so IMO it would take about 100 off where you are now. There are pro's & Con's when it comes to stainless, cost is near triple. They are very unforgiving when you hit something, they instead of breaking or bending transmit the shock to the drive. First year up at the 1K event I ran aluminum not knowing the waters, I saw little to no loss in performance. I did not want to risk the S/S prop and the drive. I repeat my statement from above! Try to borrow props until you get your best results, it gets expensive experimenting!!!

tjags
03-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks MOP. I'll try your suggestion to test. Good call on the aluminum as well!!