PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Mounting Collar question

acook
03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
I have a 67 ski sporter. The outdrive mounting collar (Volvo 200 Aquamatic according to the manual I have) casting is broken off on one side. Does anyone know if a Volvo 270 mounting collar would be interchangeable? Any help would be appretiated.

penbroke
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Yup. Direct exchange. Kind of...

I had to carve a bit out of the opening on my '66 18 in a couple spots. Quick work with the sawzall and reseal the edge of the hole. The 200 drive will fit on the 270 transom shield but you must use the 270 tiller arm and steering yoke along with the old 200 steering helmut. Make sure you get the tiller and yoke with the 270 transom shield. The diameter of the shaft on the yoke is different.

The reverse catch is different as well. The 200 reverse catch will not work with the 270 transom shield. The 270 transom shield has two additional support towers for the tilt pin that interfere. If you have both to look at the difference is apparent.

Photos will confirm that you actually have a 200 transom shield and not a 250 or 270.

Good luck! Don't be shy...

Frank

acook
03-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks much for the information. I'm not sure I ready to tackle this this season but I may go ahead with the purchase of the Volvo 270 that I found on Craigslist. I puchased the boat last spring and it wasn't exactly as advertised but the hull and deck are solid and the gel coat is pretty good for a 44 year old boat (one crack in the deck near the grab rail on the driver side and another in the dash at the stearing column). At some point the boat was re-powered with an automotive Ford 289. It took a new carb and some cooling system re-plumbing to get it working. Clearly the motor was pretty tired. The motor re-build and installation is complete and I am looking forward to seeing how it goes this year. The rehab is likely to take a few seasons but we're on the way. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as we go.