PDA

View Full Version : External hydraulic steering

lsuryan
03-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Looking for the best external hydraulic steering system for a 22zx

The Hedgehog
03-10-2011, 07:01 AM
IMCO, Mayfair, Marine Machine, Latham.

They are all good and work the same way. Which is the best? Everyone that has one will likely tell you that their system is the best. I have both IMCO and Mayfair. I would use either again.

gcarter
03-10-2011, 07:30 AM
So many of the components are common......Char-Lynn helm, Saginaw pump, hoses, filters, etc.
The only differences between them is the cylinders and the mounting brackets

Oh, and don't forget Zeiger.

And, if you look under "Hynautic" on eBay, you'll see some K-5 external cylinders for $650.00 that can be adapted. All you'll really need special is the outdrive end bracket. This is similar to what I'm using on the TR project.

How handy are you? If you are, then you can save a couple of thousand dollars...........

The Hedgehog
03-10-2011, 01:11 PM
So many of the components are common......Char-Lynn helm, Saginaw pump, hoses, filters, etc.
The only differences between them is the cylinders and the mounting brackets

Oh, and don't forget Zeiger.

And, if you look under "Hynautic" on eBay, you'll see some K-5 external cylinders for $650.00 that can be adapted. All you'll really need special is the outdrive end bracket. This is similar to what I'm using on the TR project.

How handy are you? If you are, then you can save a couple of thousand dollars...........

Yep, Tex started out with some Hynautic rams, had some lines made, bought an end cap and some other parts from Imco, a Char-lynn Helm.....

His all in cost was probably about half of what I paid for a full IMCO on a good deal. He calls it the Mad Max steering system. It is but works the same as my IMCO.

lsuryan
03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Yep, Tex started out with some Hynautic rams, had some lines made, bought an end cap and some other parts from Imco, a Char-lynn Helm.....

His all in cost was probably about half of what I paid for a full IMCO on a good deal. He calls it the Mad Max steering system. It is but works the same as my IMCO.

And this will help my boat from falling side to side while at high speeds ?

LKSD
03-11-2011, 05:26 AM
And this will help my boat from falling side to side while at high speeds ?

Not necessarily. An external hydraulic steering system is supposed to take feedback out of the system and hold the drive in place side to side while underway. However the gimble housing & ring must not be worn or loose for it to be effective. If that stuff is worn it needs to be addressed first.

Beyond that, as far as the falling from side to side, it depends on how it is doing that. It may also be what is called chine walking. That is usually addressed by using adequate size trim tabs/planes & a proper prop. Some sizes and models work better together than others here.. Also steering can help a little when driving thru chine, but it is mainly controlled by the propping and tab. Beyond that if needed there is not a lot that can be done as it usually involves hull work and weight relocation. This gets pretty time consuming with small results & larger expense...

The hull you have is a good hull I have run those pretty quick & added superchargers to them. Usually once all is well with the prop & gimble the proper steering & tabs are all you usually need to make it pretty solid.. ;)

Hope this helps.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

gcarter
03-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Well said Jamie!

Greg Guimond
03-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Talk to Paul at Zieger, he is very helpful and has seen it all.

Carl C
03-11-2011, 08:39 AM
I used Zeiger on my 22C and if you've never done this before it sure is nice to have a complete kit with pre-cut hoses and templates and drilling guides and detailed instructions. It was definitely out of my league to piece together a system. One thing is that you need to go with a high cc helm if you don't want too many turns of the wheel lock to lock. I requested a 120 cc helm. If I remember right it is "Paul" Zeiger who gave me his personal cell # and their customer service is tops. I don't know if they can supply a ready to install kit for a ZX but I would consider them unless you have done steering systems before and are comfortable with piecing together your steering to save money. My total cost for everything was under $4,000.

roadtrip se
03-11-2011, 11:07 AM
I run Latham. We didn't have as many choices ten years ago, when I put it on. It was about $5K then.

I have seen quite a few of the Zieger systems installed at various rallies. It looks like pretty good stuff to me. Beefy rams, nice hardware, good design.

I am sure they would be able to do a system for the 22ZX and I have been told that their customer service and support is pretty good, too.

LKSD
03-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Yes Latham is expensive. It is the most durable & heaviest made, so it is good for very large boats with extreme engines. I had a latham on my Zx.. Great unit..

That said the Zeiger & Imco kits are really good as well & give it a run for the $$ for sure.. I have worked with all of them for years.. The 2 most popular & best priced systems are IMO the Zeiger & Imco..

For the 22zx & 22c the Imco or Zeiger would be plenty for kit.. :)

If anyone is interested in a price feel free to give me a shout. I am a Dealer/Distributor with all of them..

:) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

DickB
03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm curious if anyone has experience with the Zeiger internal hydraulic steering system. I got prices for my 18C Alpha, and the internal ram system was considerably less expensive than a single external ram.

LKSD
03-11-2011, 08:58 PM
At that point you might as well use the basic internal hydraulic sea star unit long with the merc power steering unit.. It is better then the stock steering cable with the merc power steering, which is the way they are in stock form.. However the external & or full external is still the best way to go for the most safety & firmness with least feedback.. ;) :) Jamie / Lakeside

osur866
03-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Lathem dual ram full system on 18 classic couldn't be happier love the response of the system.

Steve

Pismo
03-12-2011, 05:29 AM
I called Latham about a full system for my 22. They quoted me $6700. I passed.

Carl C
03-12-2011, 07:33 AM
I called Latham about a full system for my 22. They quoted me $6700. I passed.

Call Zeiger. $3,800 for complete kit with drill guide and pre-cut hoses. That was my price which is subject to change but with times being tight I bet they will still do it. Talk to Paul. (assuming you're still in the market for steering)

LKSD
03-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Call Zeiger. $3,800 for complete kit with drill guide and pre-cut hoses. That was my price which is subject to change but with times being tight I bet they will still do it. Talk to Paul. (assuming you're still in the market for steering)

If anyone cares, I am OEM with Zeiger, which means I buy from them like Donzi & other builders would..

That said prices have gone up a little over the last couple of years, regardless of the economy. However I think my price that I sell them for starts somewhere in that ball park realm, I'd have to double check to be sure..

I know they are a good value for the $$$... Also I do know Add on systems are less, and are a good way to go for people who cant do a complete kit all at once, but need more than the stock merc cable system..

Carl C
03-12-2011, 11:06 AM
If anyone cares, I am OEM with Zeiger, which means I buy from them like Donzi & other builders would..
That said prices have gone up a little over the last couple of years, regardless of the economy. However I think my price that I sell them for starts somewhere in that ball park realm, I'd have to double check to be sure..
I know they are a good value for the $$$... Also I do know Add on systems are less, and are a good way to go for people who cant do a complete kit all at once, but need more than the stock merc cable system..

Cool Jamie. Didn't mean to suggest that you should be cut out of the loop.

LKSD
03-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Cool Jamie. Didn't mean to suggest that you should be cut out of the loop.

I know that.. You & I seem to have always gotten along here.. :) No worries.. :) Jamie