PDA

View Full Version : Boat wrap

flying tomato
03-09-2011, 05:52 PM
What do yall think about the boat wrap. Should I pull the trigger. Some of you may remember my post of "worst paint job ever".
Lee

Planetwarmer
03-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Whats wrong with a huge nekkid pin-up girl on the side?

silverghost
03-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Why not go to a billboard & sign company and see if they can find a sponsor to put a large wrap-style billboard sign on both sides of your boat for Free ?
This money they pay you may help you pay for that $5.00 / gallon marine gasoline this summer ! ;-)

I see this on Buses & trucks around here all the time !

I'm only half-kidding here !

Jraysray
03-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Wraps are cool...... If you do it right. That hurts my eyes Lee..... :) Cya on the lake!

Carl C
03-10-2011, 02:34 PM
How durable is a wrap? I don't see how it could last on a fast boat.

axelkloehn
03-11-2011, 02:28 AM
How durable is a wrap? I don't see how it could last on a fast boat.

no problem, it will last, don't matter how fast your boat is!

Carl C
03-11-2011, 06:31 AM
no problem, it will last, don't matter how fast your boat is!

Well then I say go for it Mr. Tomato!!

kramsay1234
03-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Had it over 10 years, so it needed a refresh after awhile. Here is the same boat before and after. Also the dual pic was the rendering we did on the computer, and I also included a really terrible rendering that I kept because I get a good laugh from it once in awhile.

62157 62159 62160 62161 62162

HOWARD O
03-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Is that a Scarab? (just kiddin' :wink: )

That is very impressive. The whole hull is wrapped?

VancouverMark
03-15-2011, 07:58 PM

I swear by the Wrap! I will been taking the shrink wrap of my Z33 in 2 weeks and will post pics of the fresh Yellow Hull Wrap.
Cheers
Mark

glashole
03-16-2011, 07:02 AM
there was a hull wrap on my formula when i first got it

i pulled it all off because it was a cheesy graffic of a dragon etc
(almost cheesy enough to keep it on there had it matched the interior)

very durable stuff

i was able to peel the edge with some work and pull of large 5ft type sections

didn't ruin the colours underneath or mark the hull at all

it was actually kind of stretchy

would definitely get it again if i was looking to go down that route

its not cheap though

Jraysray
03-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Anyone know the process in applying a wrap? What's it made of or how is it applied etc...

axelkloehn
03-17-2011, 02:58 AM
Anyone know the process in applying a wrap? What's it made of or how is it applied etc...

it is vinyl, you clean the boats surface (soap or silicone remover), spray water with a bit soap on the surface, take the vinyl and a squeegee and rub the vinyl starting from the center to outwards on the boat. First rub slightly so that the vinyl is in place everywhere- you can still adjust it with the water between boat and vinyl- than rub with more pressure that you pull the water between boat and vinyl outwards and hope you get no bubbles. When you need to cut the vinyl don't cut when it is on the boat already- you cut in the gel or paint, this will have consequences.
Needless to say you need a bit experience and for large surfaces one or two assistants.
Try it with small surfaces first, you will find out it is quiet easy to do. There are a lot of "how to do" movies in the i-net, mostly with wrapped cars.

robertbj
03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
There is a place in Michigan that looks to be very good at boat wraps. They will travel to apply the wrap or you can do it yourself. Check it out. http://edgewraps.com/

flying tomato
03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Well after working with my designer for a couple of weeks, we have come up with a design that I am happy with. I am taking the boat to Austin this week to have the wrap done. I will post some pics of the transformation. I am very excited. It will not be the one that I originally posted.

Flying Tomato

Posting a pic of dash on separate thread.

VetteLT193
03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
if they haven't done a boat before make sure they do some industry research. quite a few have come off because of improper installation.

main thing is to start at the back and do a slight overlay with each section going forward so the water won't catch an edge

kramsay1234
04-01-2011, 04:59 PM
The whole side was wrapped to the rub rail. This means that when the boat is in the water, the vinyl on the lower part of the boat is under water. The checkers, etc were all wrap as well over top of the white vinyl base. The boat sat in the water for a summer and showed only minor signs of the vinyl wanting to lift on the lower section, but nothing major considering, and there was some water that got under the vinyl and caused some "bubbling" around the back but the checkers covered most of it up. We put an extra layer of clear vinyl over the edge at the bottom of the sides to seal it and this pretty much stopped further water from getting under.

Overall, it was a total transformation and most of the people that knew my boat well that I boated with on weekends thought I got a new boat. Was an inexpensive way to change the look and I knew that the red gel under the wrap would be in tact if I ever wanted to take it off.

My boat was later always on the trailer and I had the wrap on for about 5 years before I sold the boat. For a boat that spends it whole life on a trailer except for use, I would say it would last for then entire boat ownership.