PDA

View Full Version : Ali-Frazier, 40 yrs later.

scippy
03-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Saw the fight in a movie theatre on live closed circuit telecast in Bed-sty, Bklyn. 25 bucks ....15 rounds lived up to "fight of the century". Although Ali got up after being decked 30 sec. into the 15th, it was over, Smokin' Joe became W.H.Champ....Crazy time also in the country, Vietnam war protests, Nixon, silent moral majority, liberals...who you chose to back in that fight pretty much defined where you stood polictically.........Hard to believe 40 years ago!

Walt. H.
03-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Hard to believe 40 years ago!

Tell me about it, 40 yr's hard to believe and i'll be 59 in 12 days.$#@&*!.
And I remember it well, we all cheered when Ali aka C. Clay got his jaw broken or was that by George Foreman when that happened?:hyper::yes:

scippy
03-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Walt,

I gotcha beat bro!....60 in 7 months :shocking:........:happy_bi: junior!........My father was a big Smok'in Joe fan, he and all the construction workers could not be happier when Ali lost. I was the long haired hippie who was run out of the house for liking Ali...........there could not be more parallels or devisions in who you were behind in the big fight......them were the days!!!

Ed Donnelly
03-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Now I am really getting depressed, I've got you both beat.
Turned 66 in January.................but I only feel 80......................Ed

silverghost
03-08-2011, 05:33 PM
"Smokin Joe" Frazier still runs a run-down two story boxing gym on Broad St here in Philly !
Much like the gym pictured in the early Rocky movies .
A crooked Lawyer who owned the cloverlay boxing syndicate, who sponsored & owned the rights to Joe ,along with Don King stole much of his big $$$ boxing money~~~Bad investments took most of the rest.
He used to be seen riding around in a white Rolls~Royce~~~ in his custom pimp-style 1970s liesure suit, full length fur coat,
and large big brimmed hat with a large feather plume in it's band!
He once had his own local bar band in which he was the front-man singer~~~if you can believe it ?
They made a few records in the 70s & 80s !
"Joe Frazier and the Knockouts ?

Today~~~
He has gained quite a bit of weight since that time .
You can hardly understand a single word he says anymore~~~
Very Sad~~~
I suspect severe brain damage from boxing caused this problem!
Just like it has done to Ali .
He is still in far better shape than Ali today~~~both mentally & physically !
The Rolls~Royce, along with most of the big money is now long gone~~~
Joe is still a very popular & colorful figure here in the Philly area !~

Our own home town real life "Rocky"

I too remember the Ali-Frazier fight mentioned above !

I guess I am the youngster in our memory lane thread here~~~ at 55 ! ?

scippy
03-08-2011, 05:55 PM
It's turning into a collective birthday party of over 240 years........."Holly Sh*tsky"!!!..........Ed your still the senior guy...........anybody else remenber Jack Johnson fight?????

Walt. H.
03-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Walt,

I gotcha beat bro!....60 in 7 months :shocking:........:happy_bi: junior!.......

I guess i'll be saying the same in about 5 months to someone else.:worthy: :wink:

Regarding,
Jack Johnson: the first black heavy weight fighter back around 1909?
Only from looking into boxing history.

Ed Donnelly
03-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Where the hell is George and Mop(Phil) when you need them???..Ed

axelkloehn
03-09-2011, 01:36 AM
I remember when Ali said about Joe " he is ugly and who the hell told him he can sing?", that was kinda funny for me and my dad at that time... I was a mere 9 years old and we watched the fight at 4 a.m. in the morning on our b&w tv.
We watched all that spectacular fights but where have all these great heavyweighters disappeared to? Now it seems to me as if it is all turning into politics who fights whom and who gets a chance to become champion... and I am bored with this russian Klitschko guys who only fight against second class boxers...

dr
03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
I’m 59, will be 60 in October and it sucks real bad but the 60’s and 70’s were a great time to be a kid….Ali, sports, music, and as much as I distain politics, they were raw exhilarating…

I remember listening to my am/fm transistor radio late at night for updates at the end of every round in Ali’s big fights…IE Liston, Frazier…

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-09-2011, 05:42 PM
:hyper: Hey guy's, i am not far behind all of you other ole goat ropers, and will be 59 in July....... just had Prostate surgery, and a few other procedures back to back the very same day, and still kickin along with enjoying life even more considering we are all getting older everyday , and where did the years go ? Hey guy's , getting old is a bitch with all the aches and pain' s but not half as bad as i thought it would be .......considering i got hit by a train over 40 years ago .:rlol::rlol::nilly:

scippy
03-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I’m 59, will be 60 in October and it sucks real bad but the 60’s and 70’s were a great time to be a kid….Ali, sports, music, and as much as I distain politics, they were raw exhilarating…

I remember listening to my am/fm transistor radio late at night for updates at the end of every round in Ali’s big fights…IE Liston, Frazier…

dr,

Back then (I'm 60 also in Oct.) you could listen to most fights over the AM signal..........I listened to the first Liston-Clay Tilte fight in 65' 'live" from our Zenith stereo cabinet.........this thing was as big as a commmercial floor freezer with only a record player and AM-FM radio in it.

scippy
03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
:hyper: Hey guy's, i am not far behind all of you other ole goat ropers, and will be 59 in July....... just had Prostate surgery, and a few other procedures back to back the very same day, and still kickin along with enjoying life even more considering we are all getting older everyday and where did the years go ? Hey guy's , getting old is a bitch with all the aches and pain' s but not half as bad as i thought it would be .......considering i got hit by a train over 40 years ago .:rlol::rlol::nilly:

Artie,

How many lives have you figured you used up by now??........I'd say, getting hit by a train way back then must of used up eight of the nine......... real quick like.:nilly:
"Ole goat ropers"................I like that!!!!:)

silverghost
03-10-2011, 02:06 AM
Axel:

I would like to see someone just try to tell Joe Frazier that he can't sing !

The only guy I know who might get away with doing so might be George Foreman ~~~

Everybody likes George !

MOP
03-10-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm here on the down slide to 71!!!!!!!!!!

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Artie,

How many lives have you figured you used up by now??........I'd say, getting hit by a train way back then must of used up eight of the nine......... real quick like.:nilly:
"Ole goat ropers"................I like that!!!!:)Scippy i often think about that moment , and when i go back to the other side of the state slowly but surely ..... the black spot where the truck sat buring is starting to weather away which in itself is a very weird experience considering i have to cross those tracks to get to my destination . Scippy every once and awhile i stop into this resturant to grab a cup of Java and that term is used by all the old retirees including myself ....................Ha Ha Ha Ha :eek: