PDA

View Full Version : 95 Classic 16 Question

flxwhaler
03-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Question/advice needed from the Classic Heads on this registry: I recently acquired a 95 Classic 16. It was professionally maintained/properly winterized, etc. First question: What is the fuel capacity? I recall it being 40 US gallons?? Second: The fuel tank is now 3/4 full of stabilized/treated fuel; the age of which is going on 3 years. The good thing is this fuel is pre-ethanol fuel, meaning there should be no phase-separation issues. Knowing it is a "vented" fuel system, there is a possibility of moisture but there is an in-line separator so in theory that should take care of excessive water/moisture if any. I am getting conflicting info, however on what I should do about the fuel in the boat. The tank is 3/4 full. I gave it the old sniff test and I cannot detect that telltale "weathered" petroleum smell so I do not think it is "bad". I ran it with muffs and it starts and runs fine. A boat mechanic friend recommended that all I really need to do is add a bottle of octane booster to the fuel and run it down below 1/2 tank. Then top it off with fresh and be done. Others have recommended I drain/siphon the fuel completely and start with fresh. I realize option 2 is probably the best, but I would rather not have to deal with siphoning/draining and disposal of 30+ gallons of fuel if I can get away without really having to do so. Your thoughts, recommendations are greatly appreciated!! Sorry for the long narrative for a seemingly simple inquiry.
-Whaler

Just Say N20
03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
If the situation is as you say, I would run it down to 1/2 and fill it and be done with it. Octane boost wouldn't hurt.