PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Ski Sporter - $1900 (NOT MY BOAT)

jstrahn
03-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Craiglist: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/2251279559.html

Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Donzi-Sweet-Sixteen-16-/180636575033#ht_500wt_1182

Looks pretty rough but might be a restoration candidate.

fogducker III
03-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Strange HIN for a Donzi......:confused:

Just Say N20
03-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Ad says the title was lost. . . .

FLZ is "Florida Homemade Boat" (from a HIN search website). Maybe that is what they issue if the title is lost?

-OR-

Splish Splash

1967 had 2 clamshell engine vents, not 4.

1967 had a vent on the rear of the deck (at least those built in April 1967)

Sweet little 16
03-07-2011, 07:46 PM
before we throw out the splash word
Isn't Fla a state when a boat is registered that doesn't have a valid stamped HIN MIC and all they give it a HIN MIC and all . I think in Fla it might even need to be put on the transom with a plate but not sure.

what was Donzi's MIC is 1967????`

The boat has had some body work done it says paint in one of the ads. The additional vents could have been added and if the rear vent on the transom didn't have the light, it would only be screw holes to fill and fair. He also mentions coring being composite, they did use different methods then wood on a 67 and some 68 boats.

Questions I have would be if I go register the boat in Fla with another state"s registration for the boat that displays the year will Fla give the new HIN with that info for the model year?? Or will they just use the day and date that the paper work is processed???
Someone from Fla might shed some light on that

Just Say N20
03-07-2011, 10:17 PM
All valid points. My '67 obviously doesn't have a HIN. It did have C16-409 on the back of the dash, and the same on the block of wood at the trailer hook up bow eye. Matty's was C16-410, and Jay's is C16-420, all were made in April.

I think I read somewhere they were making around 10 per month at that time.

I guess the best way would be to look behind the dash for the hand written black marker on back of the dash, or on the wood block of the bow eye.

dstew8
03-08-2011, 06:40 AM
My was build in July of 66 it is hull 339 and deck 343 but both where yellow with white strip and has foam core in the deck

MOP
03-08-2011, 06:53 AM
I am sitting here in Costa Rica using my mini travel laptop, I do not have any photo programs to verify what I think I see! The keel appears to be rounded and yes the four vent holes leads me to think it is newer. This thing only has a 10" screen, I used a small straight edge to attempt to check the keel. Someone should blow up the shot of the transom it would be easier to tell, It may be a later hull re tagged to hide its original identity. An interesting item is the Commander exhaust, one of the boats I used to service had twin engines with that exhaust. I serviced that boat for near 20 years, I don't know what they were made of but they never went bad in all that time in salt. Notice the welded construction! My take it was a stolen boat at some point in its life, that being said if it can be regged it could turn out to be a good deal for someone. If it were not so far away it would be pretty tempting, I would turn the engine 180 bolt a V drive tranny to it and jack shaft it to my Arneson drive, would be a fun project!

Sweet little 16
03-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I am sitting here in Costa Rica using my mini travel laptop, I do not have any photo programs to verify what I think I see! The keel appears to be rounded and yes the four vent holes leads me to think it is newer. This thing only has a 10" screen, I used a small straight edge to attempt to check the keel. Someone should blow up the shot of the transom it would be easier to tell, It may be a later hull re tagged to hide its original identity. An interesting item is the Commander exhaust, one of the boats I used to service had twin engines with that exhaust. I serviced that boat for near 20 years, I don't know what they were made of but they never went bad in all that time in salt. Notice the welded construction! My take it was a stolen boat at some point in its life, that being said if it can be regged it could turn out to be a good deal for someone. If it were not so far away it would be pretty tempting, I would turn the engine 180 bolt a V drive tranny to it and jack shaft it to my Arneson drive, would be a fun project!

what does a rounded keel have to do with anything??? this is NOT an 18 this is a 16 which all had rounded bottoms. As far as the clam shell vents , lack of vent holes mean alot more than the presence of vent holes when determining age . the dash is also a good sign of the era of the boat. the later skisporters had the same dash as an 18.
why would it not be able to be registered??? Fla gave it a number???

Sweet little 16
03-09-2011, 07:38 AM
My was build in July of 66 it is hull 339 and deck 343 but both where yellow with white strip and has foam core in the deck
That is good info, that is the first I have heard of non wood coring in a classic as early as '66.

MOP
03-09-2011, 08:29 AM
what does a rounded keel have to do with anything??? this is NOT an 18 this is a 16 which all had rounded bottoms. As far as the clam shell vents , lack of vent holes mean alot more than the presence of vent holes when determining age . the dash is also a good sign of the era of the boat. the later skisporters had the same dash as an 18.
why would it not be able to be registered??? Fla gave it a number???

I stand corrected sorry ai upset you!

VetteLT193
03-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Florida title is valid and active. same owner since 1999. Has current registration through 06/2011.

most of the splashes I have seen have something that looks totally goofy. This one doesn't have that look. The boat could have easily been updated over the years to make it look like the newer ones. Vents, dash, etc. So those aren't red flags to me at all... especially considering the rear vent is probably unobtainable so it was probably an easy decision to update the vent style to something that was available new.

Seems like a decent deal for someone who wants a project. one day I want to do one of these with the kids :)