PDA

View Full Version : TRS tailstock bearing

Conquistador_del_mar
03-05-2011, 12:46 PM
In case anyone else is trying to replace their tailstock bearing in a TRS setup with the Merctran like I am doing with my newly bought Martini, I thought I would pass along that you will need to move the engine forward to get the bearing retainer plate off the tailstock. Apparently, you can change the bearing in a Borg Warner Velvet Drive from the bellows access, but not if you have the Merctran. The tailstock bearing is also lubed by removing the outdrive in case anyone needs to do this maintenance. Just thought I would pass this along. I am a little bummed out - :bonk:Bill

Rodger
03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
When I rebuilt my Merctrans, I did the same as you. Unbolted the mounts and a few other items such as exhaust and a couple hoses, moved the engine forward and pulled out the trans...takes maybe an hour. Of course, thats assuming you have all the engine lifting equipment and location to perform the task.
Removing the drive is necessary every year for lubing the u-joints so I just need to remember to grease the bearing also.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-06-2011, 12:48 AM
When I rebuilt my Merctrans, I did the same as you. Unbolted the mounts and a few other items such as exhaust and a couple hoses, moved the engine forward and pulled out the trans...takes maybe an hour. Of course, thats assuming you have all the engine lifting equipment and location to perform the task.
Removing the drive is necessary every year for lubing the u-joints so I just need to remember to grease the bearing also.

In my case, it would not be an hour job since the engine will not move forward enough to clear the tailstock from the transom assembly. I have a trick up my sleeve that I will pass along if I am successful tomorrow - :crossfing:

Rodger
03-06-2011, 07:41 AM
In my case, it would not be an hour job since the engine will not move forward enough to clear the tailstock from the transom assembly. I have a trick up my sleeve that I will pass along if I am successful tomorrow - :crossfing:

I see why your bummed...a relatively simple job, made complicated.
Good luck.

zelatore
03-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I see why your bummed...a relatively simple job, made complicated.
Good luck.

Like THAT'S never happened before on a boat! Every boat I look at these days, from a small performance boat like our Donzi's to a large cruising yacht, the first thing I look at is mechanical and maintenance access!

Pretty woodwork and nice lines are all well and good, but if you really want to impress me make it easy to work on!

Conquistador_del_mar
03-06-2011, 07:36 PM

I got it out from the bellows area - :yes: I moved the engine forward enough to take off the 6 nuts on the bearing retainer ring plate. Since the plate would not come out past the lip at the bottom of the housing, I used a tile cutting tungsten 1/8" Dremel rasp and ground the outside of the plate enough to get the plate to clear the lip. The retaining plate is only used to hold the bearing in place and it has a grease zerk between two of the retaining nuts. No damage was done to the plate in terms of its function, so it will be used again after I machine it down a little on the outside for easier removal in the future. In order to grind the outside of the plate, I had to have the ability to angle it a little at a time while being held in place by a wire. Having moved the engine forward gave me just enough clearance to do this. It took about 3 hours to do all the removal work, so not too bad in my book. Mostly, it will now be possible to change it in the future from the bellows area without moving the engine at all - :nilly: Onwards, Bill

silverghost
03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Bill:

I had a Formula with a TRS drive & warner velvet drive for 15 years.
I only pulled the warner transmission once to replace my clutches & seals myself. Once I got the warner unit out the rebuild was a piece of cake for me . I added additional clutches to the clutch-pack at that time .
Better clutches also than the NOS Warner clutch-pack.
Never needed to pull it again.
Do you & others here like the Merc-trans or the Warner Velvet-Drive units behind the old TRS ?
Which one holds up better long term ?
Which will handle more power ?

I still like the old Merc. TRS drives. You cannot beat their smooth shifting !
No saltwater in the drive is a big positive point also !

Glad you got this messy bearing & lube job out of your way~~~
Pulling that engine foreward is a big pain in the butt !

smidgen too
03-06-2011, 10:52 PM
In case anyone else is trying to replace their tailstock bearing in a TRS setup with the Merctran like I am doing with my newly bought Martini, I thought I would pass along that you will need to move the engine forward to get the bearing retainer plate off the tailstock. Apparently, you can change the bearing in a Borg Warner Velvet Drive from the bellows access, but not if you have the Merctran. The tailstock bearing is also lubed by removing the outdrive in case anyone needs to do this maintenance. Just thought I would pass this along. I am a little bummed out - :bonk:Bill
Bill were you able to find a replacement tailstock bearing? I have heard that they have been out of stock for some time. Years ago I had my Detroit ball bearing rep try to find a replacement but he had no luck. What are you using ? Mark h2o

Conquistador_del_mar
03-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Bill:

I had a Formula with a TRS drive & warner velvet drive for 15 years.
I only pulled the warner transmission once to replace my clutches & seals myself. Once I got the warner unit out the rebuild was a piece of cake for me . I added additional clutches to the clutch-pack at that time .
Better clutches also than the NOS Warner clutch-pack.
Never needed to pull it again.
Do you & others here like the Merc-trans or the Warner Velvet-Drive units behind the old TRS ?
Which one holds up better long term ?
Which will handle more power ?

I still like the old Merc. TRS drives. You cannot beat their smooth shifting !
No saltwater in the drive is a big positive point also !

Glad you got this messy bearing & lube job out of your way~~~
Pulling that engine foreward is a big pain in the butt !

I don't have a well founded answer on the differences between the transmissions, but I understand they will both take 450+HP with the original internals. If I had my choice, it would be the Velvet Drive. Mark (Farmer TX) told me the engine sits about 7" farther forward with the Velvet Drive - definitely could not have been used in my Martini's engine compartment. Yes, they are smooth as C-6s on the shifts.

Bill were you able to find a replacement tailstock bearing? I have heard that they have been out of stock for some time. Years ago I had my Detroit ball bearing rep try to find a replacement but he had no luck. What are you using ? Mark h2o

Ouch! :nilly: I will be going to a local bearing distributor tomorrow to get it measured and hopefully find a replacement. Unfortunately, there were no numbers on the one I pulled out or it might have been a little easier. I will let you know if I find a compatable bearing. Undaunted, Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
03-08-2011, 12:11 AM

As soon as I showed the bearing to the man at Motion Industries in Sherman, he asked it it was a Mercruiser gimbal bearing. He said he saw one about 20 years ago and remembered it!! He even pulled out his notes from 20+ years ago on their availability. Nope, he didn't have it or could not get it unless I wanted about 200 made - :nilly: However, he did write a couple bearing numbers down for me. The search continues. Bill

smidgen too
03-08-2011, 12:25 AM
As soon as I showed the bearing to the man at Motion Industries in Sherman, he asked it it was a Mercruiser gimbal bearing. He said he saw one about 20 years ago and remembered it!! He even pulled out his notes from 20+ years ago on their availability. Nope, he didn't have it or could not get it unless I wanted about 200 made - :nilly: However, he did write a couple bearing numbers down for me. The search continues. Bill
Yep, Detroit Ball became Motion Industries here, and thats the same story I heard. Maybe you can double up with two bearings :bonk: to get the width ????? Mark

Conquistador_del_mar
03-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Yep, Detroit Ball became Motion Industries here, and thats the same story I heard. Maybe you can double up with two bearings :bonk: to get the width ????? Mark

Mark,
Here is the reply from one place that I asked about the dimensions. I think it must be the one and it is available for around $72.
The 879194A03 is the current part number for the bearing in the output housing on the Merctrans. Yes, the 62780A1 has been superseded to this number. :crossfing: Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
03-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Mark,
Here is the reply from one place that I asked about the dimensions. I think it must be the one and it is available for around $72.
The 879194A03 is the current part number for the bearing in the output housing on the Merctrans. Yes, the 62780A1 has been superseded to this number. :crossfing: Bill

I wanted to give a followup to this thread since the bearing that I ordered just came in. It is the correct bearing for the tailstock in the TRS with the Merctrans, but it is not made by Linkbelt. It does not have the grease recessed channel for the lubrication so it is not externally serviceable like the original made by Linkbelt. The Quicksilver part number is 30-879194A03. I'm back in business with the Martini SS maintenance now - :yes:. I can now replace the bearing and install the outdrive that is freshly painted with Imron. It should be ready to run by the weekend. Bill

smidgen too
03-18-2011, 07:46 PM
I wanted to give a followup to this thread since the bearing that I ordered just came in. It is the correct bearing for the tailstock in the TRS with the Merctrans, but it is not made by Linkbelt. It does not have the grease recessed channel for the lubrication so it is not externally serviceable like the original made by Linkbelt. The Quicksilver part number is 30-879194A03. I'm back in business with the Martini SS maintenance now - :yes:. I can now replace the bearing and install the outdrive that is freshly painted with Imron. It should be ready to run by the weekend. Bill
Great NEWS! :fam: Bill did you get the bearing right from the Quicksilver cataloge ???

Conquistador_del_mar
03-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Great NEWS! :fam: Bill did you get the bearing right from the Quicksilver cataloge ???

Mark,
Thanks. No, I found some diagrams online and ordered it through Iboats, but it is packaged by Quicksilver. If anyone needs one, here are the actual numbers on the bearing that might be available elsewhere for much less. It is SKF BBY-5573 and 039G on the other face of the bearing. I figure it was only boxed by Quicksilver. Yep, the drive goes back on tomorrow since the bearing is back in place now. If it needs replacing in the future, it will be an easy job - :yes: Bill