PDA

View Full Version : Engine Choice

Lively-one
03-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Guys,

Here's the set-up. You are looking for a used Donzi 22' Classic. You plan to run any boat you buy in both fresh and saltwater but predominantly in salt.

Assume that all three boats are similar in price, condition, and year model. Here are your engine choices:

496 Mag (375)
496 Mag HO (425)
377 Scorpion - (the blue one that is 377 hp Merc racing engine.)

I realize that the Scorpion would certainly be a more unique Donzi but do you opt for a Scorpion because it is a Scorpion or do you cross it off the list when one would get a closed cooling system on the other two choices? I also understand from Jamie that a 377 is a bit more difficult to modify later but that it can be "whippled":wrench:.

Any drawback to the 496 HO over the straight 496 Mag other than the obvious horsepower?

Thank you in advance for your input...Adam :confused:

Buddyc
03-05-2011, 11:04 AM
I had the 496 HO in my 26 Cobalt with closed cooling. I ran the chit out of it and it seemed bulletproof. Never gave me any problems.If I had a 22 classic, that would be my motor of choice

mrfixxall
03-05-2011, 11:19 AM
If i had it my way i would buy a boat minus the engine..i dont like any of the merc motors under 500 hp except for the 502 efi engines..Their is just something about being stock and me that just dont get along.:lookaroun:

Buddyc
03-05-2011, 11:23 AM
If i had it my way i would buy a boat minus the engine..i dont like any of the merc motors under 500 hp except for the 502 efi engines..Their is just something about being stock and me that just dont get along.:lookaroun:

Yea but your like rainman with motors... you know way too much, Its mind boggeling

Lively-one
03-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Yea but your like rainman with motors... you know way too much, Its mind boggeling

I am the opposite of Fixx...more like the Barney Fife of motors :bonk:...on a good day.

Carl C
03-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Well, obviously I agree with Fixx (see my sig pic) but given your choices I would go with the mag HO or mag since they have closed cooling. There is no downside to the mag except that you give up 50 hp.

silverghost
03-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Whatever becomes your engine of choice~~~

ALWAYS go with a closed fresh water cooling heat exchanger system on any boat run in salt water !
I have been boating all my life in salt water and a closed fresh water cooling system is a MUST-HAVE on any boat I will ever own !

You can always buy a closed cooling heat exchanger kit for almost any engine out there today !
Money well spent !

To make sure any used boat you buy was never run in salt water ~~~ always insist that you are allowed to pull the thermostat outlet elbow and check for rust in the engine intake manifold water outlet.
This is the highest part of any V-8 engine and the heavy salt water rust will always show-up here first !
It also will be te most heavily rusted area in any saltwater run engne itself . (other than in the marine iron exhaust manifolds)

Heavy rust also shows up in the iron marine exhaust manifolds themselves whch you cannot see the interiors of very easily .

Many sellers claim to have a boat that was never used in salt water~~~
You see this in used boat adverts all the time !
"Freshwater only Boat !"
The will swear to you that this s indeed true ~~~

From what I have often found by my many boat engine inspections~~~
Most are not telling you the real truth here about past saltwater use !

Always do a thermostat elbow & intake manifold water outlet rust check before buying any used boat !
Especially in a saltwater boating area !

Good Luck~~~A Donzi 22 Classic is a fantastic boat to own !

gcarter
03-05-2011, 03:40 PM
The heat exchanger doesn't necessarily have to take up a lot of available space either;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59575&stc=1&d=1288537040

Pismo
03-05-2011, 04:01 PM
496ho

Lively-one
03-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Many thanks. All of that served to reinforce what I was thinking.:idea:

I have run boats since I was old enough to walk and was a charter captain for over twenty years but I always ran outboards.

The pic was a nice touch gcarter... and I really appreciate all the advice from everyone else.

:worthy: , Adam

Full-throttle
03-05-2011, 08:59 PM
I have a 496 HO with a bravo X drive in the new boat I just picked up. Nice engine. 86 mph top speed on the gps speedometer. I thought the 496 HO was replaced by another engine?

Carl C
03-05-2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/3342474-post14.html

Sutphen guys are always putting down Donzis. What's up with that? Bring that beotch out to the big water and let's see if it can hang on Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie.

"Super stand up people" yeah...

mrfixxall
03-05-2011, 11:15 PM
I have a 496 HO with a bravo X drive in the new boat I just picked up. Nice engine. 86 mph top speed on the gps speedometer. I thought the 496 HO was replaced by another engine?

And how would you know that?? I think its to cold to even find open water amd from this video (i hope you didnt but this boat cuz from the looks of the vid's all he did was beat the crap out of it) looks like 82? mabe 83 mph..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbd9AJfiNo

Carl C
03-06-2011, 06:26 AM
The Sutphen is a smaller, lighter boat with a flatter bottom. Of course it is faster with than a Donzi 22 with the same power. The author of this thread indicates that he will boat in salt water; The ocean. I'd recommend sticking with the Donzi. Mine goes off shore all the time. So what it needs more power to run mid 80s? We have a boat on Lake Oakland that runs 115 mph with 300 hp. Maybe Adam should buy an STV :wink:. The Sutphen is a nice boat but their marketing methods suck. It just pisses me off.

Carl C
03-06-2011, 06:34 AM
BTW, Fullthrottle is a Sutphen dealer and should probably be banned. Go to "about me". I just don't think he should be here steering people away from Donzi and toward Sutphen..... If I'm out of line I apologize, http://www.speedwake.com/forums/member.php?u=5266

edit: You might have to be a Speedwake member to see it but for occupation it says "Sutphen Distributor".

Ed Donnelly
03-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Carl; He can't be all that bad....I see he owns a Pantera...............Ed

craigdskilling
03-06-2011, 10:31 AM
There,s a nice Pantera for sale in the toronto kijji.I dont now much about them.

Just Say N20
03-06-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't see anything in this thread where someone has put down Donzis, or tried to steer people towards another brand.

Until such comments are explicitly made on this board, just let it alone.

Carl C
03-06-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't see anything in this thread where someone has put down Donzis, or tried to steer people towards another brand.
Until such comments are explicitly made on this board, just let it alone.

It's happened a bunch of times in the past and the post about the 496 ho boat running 86 was meant to stir the pot. I nipped it in the bud. Why do you think that post was put on this thread by the co-owner of Sutphen? ˙ʍou oƃ ʇı ʇǝl ll,ı

mrfixxall
03-06-2011, 12:18 PM
BTW, Fullthrottle is a Sutphen dealer and should probably be banned. Go to "about me". I just don't think he should be here steering people away from Donzi and toward Sutphen..... If I'm out of line I apologize, http://www.speedwake.com/forums/member.php?u=5266

edit: You might have to be a Speedwake member to see it but for occupation it says "Sutphen Distributor".

<LI class=profilefield_category>About Full Throttle 525 Boat Pantera 28-4 Sale Location Milford, CT Occupation Sutphen Distributor How did you hear about Speedwake friend FB IM Handle FT 525

Ed Donnelly
03-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Carl How did you do this??˙ʍou oƃ ʇı ʇǝl ll,ı

Go to work.............................................. ...Ed

Carl C
03-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Carl How did you do this??˙ʍou oƃ ʇı ʇǝl ll,ı
Go to work.............................................. ...Ed

˙uʍop ǝpısdn pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝɥʇ ploɥ:)

Carl C
03-06-2011, 12:30 PM
http://www.fliptext.net/ :)

Just Say N20
03-06-2011, 12:42 PM
¡ɟɟnʇs pooƃ ǝɯos sı ʇɐɥʇ

What will they think of next?

Full-throttle
03-06-2011, 01:05 PM
For everyones information, I am full-throttle on this board. Not fullthrottle 525. I just bought this boat on Friday. I live in Clinton, CT. I also own a 2006 Donzi 18 which I actually tried to trade for the Sutphen 21SSX. Ron wouldn't take it so I bought it outright. I was told the boat hit 86 but 83 is good enough for me. We put the scanner on the engine and it has 90 hours on it. only .8 hours operating from 4500-5000 rpms. I was happy about that. 78 hours on the engine were all below 3000 rpm's. I wasn't trying to put down Donzi's. I own one...Atleast for now.
As some of you know, I was going to put a 383 stroker in the Donzi to replace the 5.0 mpi. This Sutphen came up for sale at an unbelievable price. I decided to buy this boat instead of modifying mine. I am not associated with Sutphen whatsoever. I would love to share this boat with the group but from all the past posts I can see its not well received.

yeller
03-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Full Throttle, I hope you enjoy your new boat. Things are bit touchy around here in regards to Sutphen due to company people using this site to try and get customers. I mistook you for a Sutphen 'promoter' at first also. After checking your previous posts it is clear you are just a happy boat owner. Looks like you just got caught in the crossfire.
Post pics of it in the "Other Boats" section. I would love to see it.

Now let's get this thread back on track.
Lively-One, if I could chose, I'd take not the Scorpian but a 6.2 and throw a whipple on it. FogduckerIII tried to get a whipple for his Scorpian and found it virtually impossible. I'm pretty sure the 6.2 can be easily whippled. I think small blocks rock and I'd be willing to bet the boat would handle better with less weight in the stern.

Fishermanjm
03-06-2011, 01:56 PM
George. The engine room pic looks good. Looks like it's getting there
is that cooling system factory installed?

Lively-one
03-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Full Throttle, I hope you enjoy your new boat. Things are bit touchy around here in regards to Sutphen due to company people using this site to try and get customers. I mistook you for a Sutphen 'promoter' at first also. After checking your previous posts it is clear you are just a happy boat owner. Looks like you just got caught in the crossfire.
Post pics of it in the "Other Boats" section. I would love to see it.

Now let's get this thread back on track.
Lively-One, if I could chose, I'd take not the Scorpian but a 6.2 and throw a whipple on it. FogduckerIII tried to get a whipple for his Scorpian and found it virtually impossible. I'm pretty sure the 6.2 can be easily whippled. I think small blocks rock and I'd be willing to bet the boat would handle better with less weight in the stern.

Thanks Yeller...good info and glad you got us back on track here. All was helpful and I must say it got interesting as it played out.

Let me say this, my family owned a Donzi back in the late sixties and my goal is to possibly collect a few in the next few years. I am finally to a point in life where I can comfortably own one. After wanting one for the last 40 plus years I am pretty excited but want, with ya'lls help, to make an informed decision. I don't know what a Sutphen is, nor do I care. Good or bad, I am a Donzi purist and although I now there are lots of other boats out there Donzi is my only focus.

Carl C
03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
For everyones information, I am full-throttle on this board. Not fullthrottle 525. I just bought this boat on Friday. I live in Clinton, CT. I also own a 2006 Donzi 18 which I actually tried to trade for the Sutphen 21SSX. Ron wouldn't take it so I bought it outright. I was told the boat hit 86 but 83 is good enough for me. We put the scanner on the engine and it has 90 hours on it. only .8 hours operating from 4500-5000 rpms. I was happy about that. 78 hours on the engine were all below 3000 rpm's. I wasn't trying to put down Donzi's. I own one...Atleast for now.
As some of you know, I was going to put a 383 stroker in the Donzi to replace the 5.0 mpi. This Sutphen came up for sale at an unbelievable price. I decided to buy this boat instead of modifying mine. I am not associated with Sutphen whatsoever. I would love to share this boat with the group but from all the past posts I can see its not well received.

Sorry man. Nothing against you and I sincerely apologize for mistaking you for the other Full Throttle. There are some similarities and Sutphen has used dirty marketing techniques in the past. Nothing against the boats either as I've only heard good things about them. I just wish they would market them on their own merits. Peace.

gcarter
03-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Take a look here:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=51

Post #762 and through the next 6-10 pages.

Pismo
03-06-2011, 03:55 PM
¡ɹǝɥɔɐǝʇ ɹoɟ ʇoɥ

This is fun...

gcarter
03-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Also take a look here;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=25

Lively-one
03-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Full-throttle- after re-reading my earlier post I felt it was unfair and my thoughts were poorly stated. I am interested in buying a Donzi first and foremost but I enjoy boats of many makes and models. I appreciate your input and I value your contribution. Most of all, I hope you enjoy your new boat and I know I am not the only one who would enjoy hearing more about it in the future.

Donzigo
03-07-2011, 06:04 AM
I installed two 496HO engines with Bravo X drives in my Z-33 three years ago and I love them. Thet have FWC, of course, since I live inFlorida on the water. I would definitely go with the HO package.....

Sweet little 16
03-07-2011, 06:10 AM

good luck with the new boat ! personalities, egos, and key board tricks aside , I would love to hear your inputs and feelings on both boats in the future. :)

Carl C
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey everybody,
I'm dealing with a personal problem.
I've been uptight lately.
I'm passionate about Donzis.
I'm human.
I got out of line.
I'm sorry.

Just Say N20
03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Hey everybody,
I'm dealing with a personal problem.
I've been uptight lately.
I'm passionate about Donzis.
I'm human.
I got out of line.
I'm sorry.

Carl, I hope you get whatever it is all sorted out. :)

Full-throttle
03-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Hi guys,
Sorry for the delay in posting. No hard feelings whatsoever. The misunderstanding is understandable. My screen name and the former dealers is so close. Carl, I hope all is well with you.
It's been real hectic with work and wrapping up the purchase of the Sutphen but I promise I will put some pictures and information on Other Boats section of this website when I get time. It really is a pretty neat boat. It will spend it's time on the Connecticut River and Great Pond in Maine if anyone wants to go out in it this summer. Sorry for the sidetrack.

Carl C
03-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks for understanding. I think all will be well for me. FullThrottle, congrats on the cool little hot rod; I've been following the thread on OSO.

Full-throttle
03-09-2011, 12:12 PM
I have been having fun posting on that thread. They couldn't believe how fast the boat is. Luckily someone went for a ride in it and verified the speed. They sure like to bust your chops over there. All in good fun.:bonk:

Planetwarmer
03-09-2011, 04:48 PM
ᄐ'ᄅ'⇂ 'ƃuıʇsǝʇ 'ƃuıʇsǝʇ