PDA

View Full Version : Stripe 1969 18ft.

poppy
03-04-2011, 02:23 PM
How wide is the stripe on the deck of 1969 classic 18? Iam having my boat painted as I post this there wasnt a stripe on the boat when I got it. Thanks for any help. Poppy

Bobby D
03-05-2011, 06:38 AM
7 inches

Just Say N20
03-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Bobby,

It is interesting that in 1969 the stripe was 7" wide. When I removed the paint from the deck of my 1967, you could see the original gel stripe was 6" wide.

I had the stripe painted 8" wide, with 1/4" trim stripes on each side when I redid the deck last summer. I think it made the boat look more modern.

Buddyc
03-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I thought the stripe was tapered? thinner up front

Just Say N20
03-05-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't believe the "from the factory" stripes were tapered on standard classics.

Limited/Special editions could be a different story.

Greg Guimond
03-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I think I like that idea Bill of making the stripe a little wider, and the 1/4" trim stripes to right and left of it :yes:

silverghost
03-05-2011, 02:23 PM
On my original 1972 "Benchseat 18" project, which started out life as a 2 +3 the front black deck gell stripe was indeed tapered from narrow at the bow to wide at the pit & dash area.
There are also two narrow red gell trim stripes on each side of the wide black stripe.
All these above stripes are original Gell on this former Hollman~Moody 18 ! ~~~~

I can measure these stripes & taper if you wish as the boat is sitting covered in my back yard !

Greg Guimond
03-05-2011, 03:00 PM
That is interesting. Is that the way they came from the factory?

silverghost
03-05-2011, 03:21 PM
The wide black tapered front deck stripe with the two narrow red stripes apper to be original gell stripes on ths boat's original yellow gel hull !

Did the Hollman~Moody Donzi 18's have a special stripe package in 1972 ?
The boat also has the original Hollman~Moody logo Tacometer & H~M/Teleflex gauges.
(I am missing the AMP gauge)
This boat has the Holman~Moody / Volvo 270 drive with the H~M Ford T-Bird style logo on the drive's bell-housing .

Greg Guimond
03-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I did not realize that. I may have to taper the stripe on my Benchseat project :yes:

silverghost
03-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Greg:
Wow~~~
Don't tell me that you also have a benchseat project under way ! ?

First Lenny in VBC Canada~~~with his fantastic X-18 benchseat projects~~~

Then my "YellowJacket" project I found in 2009 in New Jersey~~~

Now YOU have one too ?

Are you talking about the OB baby 16 project ?

If-Not~~~???
You need to start another geat thread here with project photos !

Soon there will be more benchseat projects posted here than original benchseat Hornets !

silverghost
03-05-2011, 04:36 PM
By popular request I just measured my stripe's width on the Hollman~Moody Bencheseat 18 project !
All dimensions are of the Original gell coat stripes.

At the bow on the extreme top front of the deck at the narrow point on top of the deck.
The wide black stripe is 6 1/2" wide with two additional 1/2" wide red gel stripes added additional on each side of the wide black stripe & placed on top of the outer sides of the black stripe. (Black stripe painted first !)
Total front triple stripe width 7 1/2 inches on front TOP of deck at the bow.

At the dash-pit deck area and down the dash to the top of the gauge panel cut-out add another 1" to this black stripe measurement for a total of 8 1/2 inches for all three stripes at the top of the deck at the dash. There is indeed a 1 inch taper bow to dash !

This very same 8 1/2" dimension continues straight on the aft engine hatch deck from the top of the benchseat deck down 1" on the bench's rear seat back to the stern transom rub- rail band !
The stripes wrap down on the dash & rear benchseat back 1" .
Remember that this is an original Hollman~Moody package boat.
I do not know if the H~M boats had special distinct stripe packages or not ?

There is indeed a taper on the front deck of 1 inch !

LKSD
03-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Overall I think what would sum up the deck stripe stuff is :) .......

Excluding the 009 & Shelby stripes that we see at times now.. Below seems to be the rule of thumb..

The older widths that were most common were 6", 7" and then later on the 12" started to pop up.. However there were other deviations here and there as well as some oopsies that have happened over the years too that looked fine..

The earlier models thru the 60's wore the narrower stripes if any. From the 70's up as time progressed the stripe got wider & you started to see the common 12" width pop up at times, even though the narrower stripe was still used into the 70's.

Some stripes had been outlined in black or white, some no outline, others had the main stripe down the center with a small narrow space of the main boat color separating another thin stripe that paralleled the main deck stripe..

In short I would say for a pre 1970 boat a 7" wide stripe would be the safest one to use if you want it to be more period correct. From early to mid 1970's either stripe seems to be accepted, and from the later 1970's on the wider stripe seems to be the one that stuck & is still used..

Hope this helps.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Bobby D
03-06-2011, 06:52 AM
FWIW see examples of narrow stripes, the orange boat was painted to match factory original and was about 7” from what I remember. The red boat is in my garage and the dimension is exactly 7inches the boat was re-gel coated about 10 years ago and the stripe and color combination were matched to the original gel.
Bob

Greg Guimond
03-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Looks some additional black primer needs to be applied :( Also, interesting that there were many variations.

Greg Guimond
03-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Hmmmm.....well maybe best to change the whole stripe idea and flair it from transom to the bow? It's a weedeater anyway so anything goes as the odd cousin :tase:

Bobby D
03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
orange 16 is 1970 ski sporter
Red 18 is a 1972 2+3

Just Say N20
03-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Greg,
You are creating a very interesting boat.
At this point, the bottom has been modified, the deck has been modified, so beyond some of the original hardware, your boat is uniquely your own.

For example, if you want to make the deck strip a series of overlapping circles, go for it. :)

Greg Guimond
03-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Bill, hmmmmm .... I think I resemble that remark :hyper: and I am pretty sure I'll create a mini project with the hardware as well before it is all done! Wait a minute, these builds are actually supposed to be "done" at some point, I never really factored that into the project :woot:

Now, the factory stripe width on the 1970's vintage 16 OB Baby is (soon to be was) 7" fyi.

Now we just need Buizilla to measure the width of his 96 wacker for the archive!

Just Say N20
03-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Wait a minute, these builds are actually supposed to be "done" at some point, I never really factored that into the project :woot:

I know what you mean. Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever going to get mine done. And mine is nowhere near as ambitious as yours is.