PDA

View Full Version : exhaust systems

Fishermanjm
03-04-2011, 10:22 AM
stainless, cmi, imco, etc,,,,,, is there any difference? im tryin to decide what system to buy for my 01 6.2 22 classic, im lookin for performance, looks, sound, and reliability, raw water cooled in the salt,

Diamond Performance
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
One more, EMI Thunder!

undertaker
03-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Stainless Marine talk to Jaime or Poodle on other site for a good deal....:pimp::yes:

MOP
03-04-2011, 12:37 PM
All good systems mentioned above, but do not expect anything more than bling and maybe an improvement in sound. Many of us have gone to headers expecting gains in performance, there is little to none without other mods. Fact is you will lose some low and mid range torque and only gain a MINI hair at top end, lucky to see 1/4 mile gain, always a good idea too weigh the expense against the gain. A SB loses scavenging with 4", it mostly becomes an "Oh Well" it looks good thing!

Phil

roadtrip se
03-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I run CMIs and have for ten years. I am running big power, so I don't really have much of a choice, as I need to go with some version of full tube headers.
Overkill for sure in stock horsepower situations, which has been proven when people have tried CMIs on stock applications like the 496HO.

But, I am going to respectfully disagree with MOP on the benefits of a Stainless Marine header swap out for the old logs. The weight savings alone will improve the performance and handling in your application. You may not see huge increases, but the boat is going to run better with the SM headers.

Diamond Performance
03-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Having a dry joint (jumper hose)between the manifold and riser is enough to have piece of mind knowing no water can leak in.

Fishermanjm
03-04-2011, 02:04 PM
what is the difference in dry system manifolds and the normal manifolds besides water and noise

blackboat
03-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Stainless Marine are hard to beat,seem to be the best for longevity.
Dry pipes are great if you have a big cam and worried about reversion
Unless your motor is built for full length headers,you wont see much difference in speed.
If the word salt is in your enviroment,stick with the Stainless Marine for durability.IMO

Diamond Performance
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Stainless Marine are hard to beat,seem to be the best for longevity.
Dry pipes are great if you have a big cam and worried about reversion
Unless your motor is built for full length headers,you wont see much difference in speed.
If the word salt is in your enviroment,stick with the Stainless Marine for durability.IMO

I agree great exhaust systems, but are they worth $300 more than EMI, per set?
Both have a 5 year warranty.

osur866
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Ok, I'll say this, I have a 6.2 in an 18 C and I did the swap to SM and weighed the stock iron against the SM and there is exactly 83lbs weight savings over stock with the SM, my personal experience was, a 140 RPM increase, an 1-1.25 MPH increase in speed, however the boat (a 18 C) ran flatter and chinned walked less sounded better and I actually increased MPG as well, when I did mine the CMI SB headers weren't out yet, if price is not an consideration I'd go with the CMI's if it was the handling improvement and dry connection as mentioned above would be worth it, don't expect to see huge gains in MPH. And I can only speak for what the effects where on a 6.2 where in a 18 C but my boat ran flatter and a tick faster and the handling improved along with fuel economy and a deeper sound. My .02
Steve

Fishermanjm
03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
good info, i was leaning towards stainless marine, who is Jamie or Poddle from the other site and how do i get in touch with them,,, i called stainless awhile ago and i think i was talkin to a Jamie,,, is that the person?

LKSD
03-05-2011, 08:01 AM
good info, i was leaning towards stainless marine, who is Jamie or Poddle from the other site and how do i get in touch with them,,, i called stainless awhile ago and i think i was talkin to a Jamie,,, is that the person?

I am Jamie, I am from Lakeside Restorations. I am a site supporter & advertiser, unlike some other places that try to pop up time to time here.. ;) I'm The guy with the banner on the top of the site.. :) :D

Stainless Marine's kits are good as are EMI.. They will also be some of the least costly units that perform well and that are reliable. These kits come in a few different ways too. If you want to call me during the week I would be glad to give you some pricing & try to assist you a little further.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

LKSD
03-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Stainless Marine talk to Jaime or Poodle on other site for a good deal....:pimp::yes:

Thanks Ed, & Yes, I can give him a nice price on pretty much any of those systems.. :) Jamie