PDA

View Full Version : I'm a traitor. Can I still post here? :)

jstrahn
03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
I have been looking at Donzis for awhile now trying to find a good deal on a 16 or an 18 and yesterday I finally pulled the trigger on a boat! Problem is, it's not a Donzi. :bonk:

Does this mean I am now ostracized from the site? :)

I ended up buying a 1996 Four Winns U-17. I think some people are familiar with them here. They have a lot of similarities to the Sweet 16 as I believe they came out when OMC owned both companies. Aside from being squirrelly with chinewalk north of 60 mph, they seem to be a nice boat.

This one has the Volvo 5.0 with SX outdrive. Seems to have pretty low hours. I've done as much research as is possible online. There isn't a lot out there on the boat since they were only in production for two years. Any info you guys can provide is welcome.

Anyhow, I'm pretty excited and if I promise to keep posting for sale ads with screen caps in the for sale section, can I still play here? :)

Carl C
03-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Of course :). Nice boat.

silverghost
03-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Welcome~~~
It's great to see another performance boater here !

WOW~~~GREAT BOAT

I never knew of the Four Winns U-17 !
It looks like a great sport boat !
Very Slick Indeed !

Do you have any idea how many were produced ?

Marlin275
03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Here is more info:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/search.php?searchid=1329087

jstrahn
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I don't know how many were produced. They made a U-17 and a U-19.

In 1996, the U-17s typically had a 5.0 mated with the SX outdrive and a lot of U-19s had the 5.8 mated to a Volvo Duoprop. I think the single or duoprop was an option on both the 17 and 19 but the two configurations I mentioned were about the most common.

In 1997, they switched to Chevy power plants and redesigned the boats a bit. I personally do not like the looks of the 1997 in comparison to the 1996 line. I think the 97s had 4.3 or 5.7 options.

They are a fairly rare boat but you can find them around occasionally. I know of at least a few for sale now. They generally go for just a tad less than a Sweet 16 would go for of similar year.

The hull on the U-17 is very similar to the Donzi. It has a 24 degree deadrise but I believe lacks some of the hook that the Sweet 16 has and the keel may be shaped a bit differently. There is a thread on here somewhere with some pictures and info on that.

Looking forward to the ice melting and getting it out to see what it can do. Sounds like with a Merc Fury prop there was a guy hitting low to mid 60s stock.

Fishermanjm
03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
i like the bow cleat/lifting eye

realbold
03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Congrats on your new toy.
I have to say I've always been a fan of most Donzis and have a couple friends who owned them, but I never had one. I currently have a (gasp) Nova. There are MANY knowledgeable (sp?) folks here, makes it well worth subscribing.

John C in PA
03-03-2011, 04:01 PM
jstrahn, although I love my Sweet 16 I came close to bidding on a U17. I like the lines and the details are pretty nice. Its a fine lookin' boat. Good luck with it and let us know how it handles. Maybe a 3rd hole in the water??? Nah :hyper:

John C

mrfixxall
03-03-2011, 09:50 PM
I have been looking at Donzis for awhile now trying to find a good deal on a 16 or an 18 and yesterday I finally pulled the trigger on a boat! Problem is, it's not a Donzi. :bonk:

Does this mean I am now ostracized from the site? :)

I ended up buying a 1996 Four Winns U-17. I think some people are familiar with them here. They have a lot of similarities to the Sweet 16 as I believe they came out when OMC owned both companies. Aside from being squirrelly with chinewalk north of 60 mph, they seem to be a nice boat.

This one has the Volvo 5.0 with SX outdrive. Seems to have pretty low hours. I've done as much research as is possible online. There isn't a lot out there on the boat since they were only in production for two years. Any info you guys can provide is welcome.

Anyhow, I'm pretty excited and if I promise to keep posting for sale ads with screen caps in the for sale section, can I still play here? :)

Nice boat!...just a word of advise on the 5.0 ford engine..if it hasn't been done already look at where the pcv tube goes in the valve cover to under the rear part of the intake,the 5.0's ar known to detonate cylinder #8 because # 8 cylinder pulls the vacuum for the pcv which causes a lien condition and the engine will pull the ring lands off the piston and tulip the intake valve..The fix if it has not been done already is to remove the upper intake plenum,remove the existing pcv nipple,install a plug where the nipple was and drill and tap the under side of the plenum rite in the center of the plenum..some had it and some had the pcv going under the flame arrestor..

WifeHatesMyDonzi
03-04-2011, 05:23 AM
Beautiful purchase......I really like the lines of the bow, especially where it flares around the steering wheel.....good looking hot rod

axelkloehn
03-04-2011, 06:42 AM
I don't know how many were produced. They made a U-17 and a U-19.
In 1996, the U-17s typically had a 5.0 mated with the SX outdrive and a lot of U-19s had the 5.8 mated to a Volvo Duoprop. I think the single or duoprop was an option on both the 17 and 19 but the two configurations I mentioned were about the most common.
In 1997, they switched to Chevy power plants and redesigned the boats a bit. I personally do not like the looks of the 1997 in comparison to the 1996 line. I think the 97s had 4.3 or 5.7 options.
They are a fairly rare boat but you can find them around occasionally. I know of at least a few for sale now. They generally go for just a tad less than a Sweet 16 would go for of similar year.
The hull on the U-17 is very similar to the Donzi. It has a 24 degree deadrise but I believe lacks some of the hook that the Sweet 16 has and the keel may be shaped a bit differently. There is a thread on here somewhere with some pictures and info on that.
Looking forward to the ice melting and getting it out to see what it can do. Sounds like with a Merc Fury prop there was a guy hitting low to mid 60s stock.

a friend of mine has a U-19 with 5.8/duoprop and it does 70mph. So the 17 should go at least 60mph. Have fun with it!

Greg Guimond
03-04-2011, 07:05 AM
I bet that Duoprop eliminates any higher speed "walking" .......

LKSD
03-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Congrats.. Looks nice :) J

jstrahn
03-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Nice boat!...just a word of advise on the 5.0 ford engine..if it hasn't been done already look at where the pcv tube goes in the valve cover to under the rear part of the intake,the 5.0's ar known to detonate cylinder #8 because # 8 cylinder pulls the vacuum for the pcv which causes a lien condition and the engine will pull the ring lands off the piston and tulip the intake valve..The fix if it has not been done already is to remove the upper intake plenum,remove the existing pcv nipple,install a plug where the nipple was and drill and tap the under side of the plenum rite in the center of the plenum..some had it and some had the pcv going under the flame arrestor..

Thank you for that bit of advice. I will most certainly give it a look.

axelkloehn
03-05-2011, 03:21 AM
I bet that Duoprop eliminates any higher speed "walking" .......

no, he gets lots of chimewalking at 70, so he couldn't get any faster... strange, but that is the case

Greg Guimond
03-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Interesting and I must admit surprising Axel :(