PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a Donzi

Lively-one
02-28-2011, 10:12 PM
I need some help and did not know exactly where to post such an inquiry. I need to know if any of you use a specific transport company, or a few that are best, for transporting a Donzi from one state to another? Although I have not found the one yet, most for sale seem to be located in a state other than mine.

Also, is there some typical shipping fee per mile vs weight? or what?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Just Say N20
02-28-2011, 10:46 PM
While this doesn't answer your question, if you have a tow vehicle, getting the boat can be an adventure all in itself.

I put 1,550 miles on my car the weekend I bought mine, and that is child's play compared to some of the cross country trips others have done.

I would click on the search button in the blue bar near the top of the page, and then click Advanced search. Got to the left side and type in transport, and change it so it searches entire posts, rather than just titles. This has been discussed many times previous.

Lively-one
02-28-2011, 10:50 PM
While this doesn't answer your question, if you have a tow vehicle, getting the boat can be an adventure all in itself.

I put 1,550 miles on my car the weekend I bought mine, and that is child's play compared to some of the cross country trips others have done.

I would click on the search button in the blue bar near the top of the page, and then click Advanced search. Got to the left side and type in transport, and change it so it searches entire posts, rather than just titles. This has been discussed many times previous.

Thank you Bill. Much appreciated!

Dr. Dan
03-01-2011, 02:47 AM
:smash:Also check out OSO and other sites, just google Boat Transport, often someone is doing a deadhead run back with an empty trailer and the best deals are available then.

If you are planning to attend Events, investing in a great Trailer and a nice Tow Vehicle make life so much easier.

Not cheaper, just less drama... when I am up and running I run kinda a little bit everywhere. 15 to 20,000 miles of trailering in a good season.:bonk:
Kentucky, Michigan, New York twice a year, New Hampshire, 1000 Isles and the Owners Rallies would finish my season. In between I would run around the Bay and the local haunts.

I bought a nice used Diesel, and had a Custom Performance Trailer built with Disc Brakes, Torsion Axles and Dual Spare Tire carrier. The Trailer was the best single investment I made for the Donzi, aside from the HP500 EFI motor. Torsion Axles rock for any serious road tripping.

All the above being said, the cost of fuel has a direct effect on all recreational events - including transportation costs. So keep in mind other than the time committment and associated fuel costs if you can do it yourself with a borrowed or your own vehicle - it may be the best option for cost containment, otherwise go with a pro and expect to pay for the less hassle of it just showing up.

Time is money...don't underestimate the value a professional delivering your new toy, you may determine its more than worth the hassle & time?

Good Luck

Danny :beer:

Just Say N20
03-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Dr. Dan!

Great to hear from you again. Sorry I missed meeting you and seeing the Pantera up close during your visit to Michigan last summer. I'm at Ellenwood Landing, and will have my 1967 Ski-Sporter in the water this summer.

jl1962
03-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Bill-
When you see the great man - tell him you want the recipe for the 500 HP Burgers!
:yes:
-JL

BUIZILLA
03-01-2011, 06:40 AM
from where, to where?

DAULEY
03-01-2011, 07:22 AM
pm donziracer on this site he does it very reasonable

Buddyc
03-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I will have an empty trailer going to Michigan from Nj in April 15th

bertsboat
03-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I have used this site 5 or 6 time from as far away as Northern California. I have a boat hauled from Wyoming to Florida for $1400 and a boat from Michigan to Florida for $800 using www.uship.com. Works great. Just look at the bidders feed back like eBay. I have yet to get rippes and yet to have damage.

Lively-one
03-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Holy cow guys, as I told another gentlemen who PM'ed me about this...I am actually kind of touched by ya'lls willingness to offer assistance and info. Refreshing in the world of today. I will go back through and absorb these posts to see these options that I was not aware of.

Since I am in Texas I am often pretty far from many potential Donzi purchases...although I am aware of a few available Donzis located in Texas. Got my eye on a couple elsewhere and hopefully will get a deal done :crossfing:.

A BIG TEXAS :us-texas: THANK YOU to all, Adam :)

inlander
03-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Holy cow guys, as I told another gentlemen who PM'ed me about this...I am actually kind of touched by ya'lls willingness to offer assistance and info. Refreshing in the world of today. I will go back through and absorb these posts to see these options that I was not aware of.

Since I am in Texas I am often pretty far from many potential Donzi purchases...although I am aware of a few available Donzis located in Texas. Got my eye on a couple elsewhere and hopefully will get a deal done :crossfing:.

A BIG TEXAS :us-texas: THANK YOU to all, Adam :)

If you have the time and energy, it's certainly an adventure to transport it yourself. Nothing like keeping your investment close to you and watching it in your rear view mirror as you travel across the United States. I looked into shipping, but after weighing costs and the idea of someone you've never met, who is more in it for the buck and not so concerned with your boats overall safety, I elected to tow it myself. Speaking from experience, "The unexpected can happen," as we experienced near Kingman, Arizona. I would prefer dealing with issues as they come up, rather than the shipper.

Taking into account U-haul rental, gas, lodging, one way airfare etc., the cost of doing this was comparable to hiring a shipper. Plus we got a mini-vacation out of it.

Shipping companies usually have some type of disclaimer as to their responsibilities, and I'm sure there are companies out there that do a fine job. Just comes down to personal preference. One thing I read about a major company, is that they were acting as a middleman for individual shipping contractors and when a problem arose, they had no responsibility. Got to do your homework to make sure the shipping person you hire is reputable.

Good luck.

Greg Guimond
03-02-2011, 05:08 AM
Depending on what model boat it is, you can also potentially get lucky and find an empty hitch traveling your way from someone on this site.

Lively-one
03-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Just wanted to say thanks again to all for your offers and suggestions. Please know that I have read and sincerely appreciate each of your particular responses.

:beer: Cheers, Adam

HIGH LIFE
03-05-2011, 05:07 PM
There is a company : Frank Mole Transport 516-799-0623 - up to 28' long boats. "HIGH LIFE"