PDA

View Full Version : bh props

craigdskilling
02-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Can you put more p into the props,and do you put it into both of them.I have a brand new 27 I think I'm going to need more.

MOP
02-27-2011, 10:36 AM
You would have to re pitch both, but the 27's won't take as much as you will need. Remember the front prop feeds the back, the back has the higher pitch. IMO borrow a set of 31's go from there!

younger
02-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Hold off man wait for spring and pick a day to test a few props. I have a set of 28's and a set of hoss 30's we can test to give you an idea. I live in Kingston,Ont. Wait for the ice to clear and run what you have for a base line. The only way to know is test first and then respond. You can re-pitch props but the surface drive props maybe a little harder due to the extra material, which they need for the extra stressors running on the suface. If you want to discuss what my resaults have been with the bh 16 I would be more then happy to talk. 1-613-389-4196

craigdskilling
02-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I saw your picks of your bike looks great.I hope we can get together in the spring with Glashole and his 22.We will have to bring the camcorder out for those trial runs.all three side by side 16,18,22 it will be great.I am going nuts waiting for spring.:)

younger
02-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I have been wearing my flip flops the last 3 weeks! Spring can't come soon enough! Definately get together for some testing and running. You will soon find if all your ideas and hopes for the bh will come true. It took me some time to figue my beast.

craigdskilling
02-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Did you raise your x when you put your bh on.Or did you take off the alpha and bolt on the bh.Is it a big job.I will be starting the task in a few weeks.Do i have to take the motor out.

younger
02-27-2011, 12:12 PM
I could could get out the tape measure for you. I am up slightly from stock. I could get more with some more x but the boat is border line death trap. The whole power train has to come out if you have to change your transom assembly. If you have bravo transom bolt up the bh and go. Were are you located!

MOP
02-27-2011, 12:22 PM
17-1/2" X is the magic number to get the full advantage from the BH, Steve's 18 proved that, he can a shave shy of 80 with a bone stock 300 Merc SB. The gear case must be fully clear of the water flow, with a straight edge along the bottom the case should be about 1/4" above trimmed flat. Any protrusion of the case bellow the bottom causes quite a bit of stern lift killing top end.

MOP
02-27-2011, 12:26 PM
I could could get out the tape measure for you. I am up slightly from stock. I could get more with some more x but the boat is border line death trap. The whole power train has to come out if you have to change your transom assembly. If you have bravo transom bolt up the bh and go. Were are you located!

Younger I know I have said this before but IMO your rig would be more stable with the higher X, Steve's 18 runs as if it were on rails.

Greg Guimond
02-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Younger, I thought you were actually pretty happy with the stability of your rig? No?

craigdskilling
02-27-2011, 12:48 PM
I have a alpha set up right now.

younger
02-27-2011, 02:01 PM
The bh set-up on the 16 is awsome!!!!!!!!!!! Yes it is like driving on rails. MOP I agree there is more, but it would comprimise the look of a stock 16.

Greg Guimond
02-27-2011, 03:49 PM
I did not realize that raising the X on the BH would take a very stable 16 set up and move it toward uncontrollable.

MOP
02-27-2011, 04:55 PM
I did not realize that raising the X on the BH would take a very stable 16 set up and move it toward uncontrollable.

Just the opposite it will be more stable, those that did not raise the X run decent no question but have stern lift from the case being in the flow. To eliminate stern lift the case must be either fully in the flow to get equal pressure above and below or clear of it. Any portion of the lower case in the flow creates a lot of lift at speed, at very high speed it can very well induce some bow steer. Anyone truly interested in running a BH should take the time to dig up Steve Mars posts his boat was setup with factory advice to their exact specs. Many of us have run with him and know it turned out fantastic! I ran the BH on my 383 370hp 22 for a season it was a great drive with phenomenal handling, but once I got around 45 the stern lift made the boat run flat, without the bow lift it topped out at 59. I pulled it and put a Bravo Diesel X on and went to 65.5. My X is a shade under 17. Instead of all the supposition take the time to do "proper research", do it right from the get go!

Ed Donnelly
02-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Sounds like a Canadian Spring AOTH

Are any TO guys allowed??? ...............Ed

craigdskilling
02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Well Ed you are more than welcome but we might be running in the muskokas that i I'm not sure you like.:wink:Lets get together some time and in the TO some time.I live in Kitchener Ont.

Ed Donnelly
02-28-2011, 08:23 AM
I,ve been known to rub shoulders with the uppities.......Ed

thriller
03-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Rumour is they are going to throw a BH on the Hornet at AOTH:eek: