PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler question

bigdawgchallenger
02-27-2011, 12:40 AM
When Plumbing a oil cooler, should it be done so the hottest oil meets the coldest water or warmest water?

I am thinking the hottest oil should meet the warmest water, that way the cooler oil gets cooled even more by the coldest water?????

What does everyone think?
Mike

Pismo
02-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Counter current flow will remove much, much more heat than concurrent flow. So keep it opposite flow. Oil to the left water to the right. If you don't need as much heat removed then flow them both the same way.

gcarter
02-27-2011, 07:18 AM
I think a question that is argued more frequently is whether the oil to the remote oil filter should go to the cooler first or the filter?????????

On the Minx, it went to the filter first, then the cooler, but many do it the opposite.

But back to your original question, on most boats or circuits I've seen the incoming water goes to the oil cooler or steering cooler first.
Sometimes the component location determines the answer.
The steering cooler doesn't add a lot of heat to the equation.

Here's a nice combination oil/steering cooler at a really good price, I think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Revolution-Marine-Severe-Duty-Combo-Cooler-Assembly-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem334d835b9fQQitemZ22034 3786399QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Pismo
02-27-2011, 07:19 AM
So how you are wording it the inflowing hottest oil should meet the outflowing warmest water to remove the most heat.

Unless you do not need as much heat removed then other way around.

MOP
02-27-2011, 09:26 AM
The way Merc did it on my Tempest 300 setup is routed from the engine to the filter with very short hose then to the cooler and back to the block. I believe that the oil gets cleaned better when hot.

CHACHI
02-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Hot oil passes thru the filter easier.

Ken

LKSD
02-28-2011, 07:10 AM
The way Merc did it on my Tempest 300 setup is routed from the engine to the filter with very short hose then to the cooler and back to the block. I believe that the oil gets cleaned better when hot.

This is the preferred way.. ;) J

Dirty
03-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Oil should always go to the filter first. Don't want to put dirt into the cooler, it might get stuck their and cut down cooler performance.