PDA

View Full Version : Unsure now if I want a donzi " Bad Experience"

Donzinewbee
02-25-2011, 07:30 PM
I was contacted by someone from this forum named Chris who lives in Michigan. He said he had a 1994 Donzi for sale in good condition. "turn Key" And he was willing to sell me the boat and deliver it to me since he was driving down to florida any way and I live in Atlanta. Everything seem ed OK, he sent me many pictures and agreed to sell me the boat for 10k. I thought I was getting a good deal. I even agreed to give him a $500 deposit by Pay pal which I did and give him $250 cash for gas when he gets to my house. " Which I found fair"

Last weekend he asks me if I would meet him half way instead. I replied no. One of the reasons I agreed to buy the boat unseen was that he was bringing it to my house. He agreed and scheduled to be her tomorrow.

Earlier today I sent him an email asking him if everything was still on for tomorrow because I was going to the bank to take out the cash.

30 min later I get a refund notice from Pay Pal for my $500 deposit without notice.

I guess i'm not ment to own a Donzi. Or I have bad luck. I'm now wondering if the whole thing was a scam to see if I would send him all the money before delivery? Or maybe he sold it locally.
I'll attach a picture of the boat in case any of you guys know him or know the boat.

If he sold the boat I have no hard feeling but I am down and so is my daughter. We were looking forward to this tomorrow.

Carl C
02-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Keep looking. I have a feeling you wouldn't have been happy with that one anyway........

Just Say N20
02-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I don't recognize the boat, and there are lots of honest Donzi owners in Michigan.

But, wanting or not wanting a Donzi really is completely a different issue.

You want a Donzi. You just have a bad taste because of the lack of honesty and openness you had with this particular individual.

John C in PA
02-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Since he just refunded the money without comment I would guess someone offered him more money.

There seems to be a couple of used Donzi's posted here every week. I'm sure you will find a good one in your price range. Good luck.

John C in PA

BUIZILLA
02-25-2011, 07:50 PM
consider yourself lucky you got your deposit back

dsparis
02-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Don't give up because of one bad experience. Theres nothing like owning a Donzi classic. More will be available.

DonziChris
02-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Sounds to me like he got tired of dealing with you. Plus you got your deposit back. I have heard of a lot worse deals than that. :confused:

penbroke
02-25-2011, 08:58 PM
That deal going bad was not about the boat but about the seller. You were not meant to own that Donzi. Don't blame the boat. He probably sold it locally for a better price and you really are lucky to get your deposit back.

All of the Donzi owners I have met or dealt with in any way are stand up guys. Keep looking and don't be afraid to ask for advice. It doesn't take much effort to figure out who can and can't be trusted here...

Frank

Donzinewbee
02-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys. I should of asked for help earlier. He is the one that scheduled it for this weekend.

Buddyc
02-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Come on... Its like quitting drinking because you got a hangover.. chit happens. I have been waiting 3 years and im stoked I finally got one.

Lively-one
02-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw...guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat.

Whatever you do...don't blame the Donzi.

Carl C
02-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw...guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat.

Whatever you do...don't blame the Donzi.

Are we going to have to start registering our silverware?:shocking:

gcarter
02-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Are we going to have to start registering our silverware?:shocking:

Bunch more folks are killed w/bats and knives than guns......
How come that don't make the headlines?

Greg Guimond
02-26-2011, 07:16 AM
newbee, don't sweat it, he did you a favor. You'll be buying a better boat for less money when gas is $5 a gallon this summer :party:

Donzinewbee
02-26-2011, 08:50 AM
That's true. I should probably look for a 4 cylinder.

HIGH LIFE
02-26-2011, 09:37 AM
How does a V6 outboard sound ? 1976 Donzi w/ 200 Mariner '93. "HIGH LIFE"

Rob M
02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Really glad you got your deposit back.

Don't sweat losing this particular boat, there are alot of Donzis for sale, and as someone mentioned, likely even more to come if oil prices stay high. If that is a concern, consider a V6 Classic 16' from the mid to late 90s - decent performance and quite good on gas.

If it's any consolation, it took me 15 years to get my first Donzi from the time I discovered them. Then another 5 and 7 years to find two of the models I really wanted in decent condition....and the search continues. Get used to the wait that comes with catching the 'Donzi bug'!

exzebra
02-26-2011, 10:47 AM
I just bought a 1995 18 Classic myself. I first saw the boat last September. The seller had used it in freshwater in central Florida and kept it in a garage but said he didn't ever use the cover he had. He also said he didn't like to keep gas in the tank. The boat looked great but the price was a bit high so I passed, not even asking him for a test run.
A few weeks ago the seller updated his ad and had a lower price. This time I went and we had a test run after the buyer put some gas in. That went great and the only problems the seller said he knew of were an inoperative trim gauge, some circuit breaker covers missing and anchor light broken. After negotiating an even lower price I bought the boat and trailered it home with the stem to stern cover the seller had never used in my back seat. It was raining and the boat was wet so when I got home I left it uncovered in the back yard.
The next day I went to the tax collector, paid the sales tax and did the necessary to have a new title issued (Over $700 paid). I also had a mechanic come by to replace the trim limit switch that was shot ($100 part, $150 labor).
I cleaned and dried the boat and put on the cover. A few days later I uncovered the boat and was overwhelmed by gas fumes. I found the bilge full of raw gas. I cleaned that up and in a few hours there was another 8 oz. of gas back in the bilge. Tank leak.
Now I know why the seller kept the tank empty and the boat uncovered. He had to know of this substantial leak.
I'm having a new tank put in now. Expensive but can't wait to have my Donzi back and safe to operate soon. Tuition in the school of life.:frown:
Caveat Emptor! Buyer Beware! I've been around boats most of my life and know what to look for when looking at used boats, or I thought that I did before now, but I was duped here.
So Newbie count your blessings! It can always be worse!

Greg Guimond
02-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Buy HIGH LIFE's 16 OB Baby. You'll have a great starter Donzi, it will be very unique, and it will sip fuel all Summer while being faster then a 16 I/O. What's not to like with a ratt a tatt tatt ???

Marlin275
02-26-2011, 10:55 AM
It's a buyers market
best time to buy in over twenty years
People are giving these classics away for little cash

If you can't get a good Donzi now
you aren't trying . . .

Greg Guimond
02-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Agree, when I see Bob Sheer's Mag for $35k its just amazing. About as close to a new Mag as you can get for short, short money. There will be a lot of Donzi's coming on in April if you are willing to travel. That said, you can't go wrong with a 16 eggbeater like HL's. Fill it with 87 and use it all weekend without a re-fill. And it is light to tow as well .....:yes::yes:

Donzinewbee
02-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. "Ex." This was the one in Tampa right?
I guess I am lucky.

exzebra
02-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. "Ex." This was the one in Tampa right?
I guess I am lucky.

This was the teal colored one between Tampa and Gainesville. I still love the boat and am glad to have it, just hope my tale might help someone else.

Donziweasel
02-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Sounds to me like he got tired of dealing with you. Plus you got your deposit back. I have heard of a lot worse deals than that.

So, your name is Chris, you have a red Donzi and are from Michigan. Were you the seller of the boat?

DonziChris
02-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Ex, Sorry to hear about your experience. I have owned four Donzi's. Some sellers have been more honest than others. I consider myself lucky so far.:crossfing: Buyer beware!!!

Chris

DonziChris
02-26-2011, 12:35 PM
DW, I did not mean to upset anyone with my post, I have had some bad experiences when some of the buyers are expecting more then I feel they should when buying a used boat, such as delivery from Michigan to Georgia for gas money. As for your question, no this is not my boat, if it was I would have been honest enough to have said so.

Chris

cmickey55
02-26-2011, 01:09 PM
:shocking: My name is John Miller, jamiller1946@gmail.com
Donzinewbee (Alex) originally agreed to buy the boat sight unseen "as is", then changed the rules midstream to include test ride, ect. ect. after the deal was made.
At that point I bought the boat "as is", delivered. If Alex had stuck to his original deal Chris would not have gone back on his word.
FYI it was not a scam, it is a NICE boat.

1994 Donzi 18'
1999 Yamaha 16' 270 H.P. Exciter
1984 Sea Ray 20' bow rider

DonziChris
02-26-2011, 01:17 PM
John, Thank you for letting us know what really happened. I figured we were only getting half of the story.:wink:

Chris

DonziChris
02-26-2011, 02:32 PM
DW, Just to let you know, What I haved owned in the past.

1. 1994 blue and white 16
2. 1993 red and white omc made 18, the one you speak of in the picture.
3. 1987 limited edition minx
4. 1995 yellow and white 18

Just put a deposit on a 26 foot Sutphen out of Canada

The other Chris :lookaroun:

Donzinewbee
02-26-2011, 02:38 PM
:shocking: My name is John Miller, jamiller1946@gmail.com
Donzinewbee (Alex) originally agreed to buy the boat sight unseen "as is", then changed the rules midstream to include test ride, ect. ect. after the deal was made.
At that point I bought the boat "as is", delivered. If Alex had stuck to his original deal Chris would not have gone back on his word.
FYI it was not a scam, it is a NICE boat.
1994 Donzi 18'
1999 Yamaha 16' 270 H.P. Exciter
1984 Sea Ray 20' bow rider

Ok let's make this clear. The seller contacted me. States he would deliver the boat since it's on his way to Florida. I told him what my max budget was and he agreed to sell it to me for that price. He later took a deposit for the boat. The only thing I asked of him was to start the engine and show me how the boat works when he drops it off. I don't think I was asking too much. He told me the boat was perfect so that shouldn't of been a problem. Spoke to him 3 days ago and everything was set for today. I email him yesterday and give him my address and all I get was my refund back without an explanation. Now I don't know what kind of business you people are used to up there but defending this action is craZy. He could of been a man and called me. I gave a deposit so that was an intent to sell the boat. If the guy was local I would of gone to his house to confront him. And these other jerks could of met me there too. I was sad about what happend but now I'm pissed! Super pissed.

fogducker III
02-26-2011, 02:59 PM
I could me wrong but I would guess the seller got more then the $10,000 first settled on.....:confused:

IF this is the case, piss poor way of doing business IMO......

BTW. Who actually is the seller...??? Seems fishy that "Chris" from MI use to own this boat and the seller, from this site, "Chris" in MI contacted the potential buyer, they made a deal and last minute the seller backs out and sells to a guy who then comes on here and defends the transaction......maybe I am reading more into it then there is.....but like DW.....I find it "suspicious" at best.....

Donziweasel
02-26-2011, 03:26 PM
I wasn't accusing anyone of anything, just wondering if DonziChris was the seller. I find that in these matters there are two stories and just wanted to hear from the seller.

We know who the buyer was now. Congrats on your new boat John.

I am with Jeremy, I bet the seller got more than the 10,000.00 agreed on. I do not think asking to start the engine and show a buyer how to operate the boat is that much to ask. If the seller broke the deal due to a better offer, especially with a deposit down, then I believe that is pretty crappy.

DonziChris
02-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Fogducker, May I suggest you go back and look at some of my old post.

Chris

fogducker III
02-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Fogducker, May I suggest you go back and look at some of my old post.

Chris

Can I suggest you actually read my post, I did not say you are the seller or involved in the sale, I just found it interesting that you "use" to own the boat and the seller is also Chris from MI.....your first post on this thread did not help things out any.......:wink:

Bottom line, the seller, whom ever they are, did not carry out a very tactful sale....:frown:

DonziChris
02-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Jeremy, I never owned the boat being discussed.

Chris:wink:

fogducker III
02-26-2011, 04:22 PM
DW, Just to let you know, What I haved owned in the past.

1. 1994 blue and white 16
2. 1993 red and white omc made 18, the one you speak of in the picture.
3. 1987 limited edition minx
4. 1995 yellow and white 18

Just put a deposit on a 26 foot Sutphen out of Canada

The other Chris :lookaroun:

Sorry then, I read the above to mean you owned the boat in question....:confused:

mrfixxall
02-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Sorry then, I read the above to mean you owned the boat in question....:confused:

1993 red and white omc made 18, the one you speak of in the picture.
in his avatar,his profile pic,,,quit smoking pot :wink:

ya i think its ****ty that you make a deal and the boat gets sold for a hundred dollars more...where is his integrity??

Buddyc
02-26-2011, 04:59 PM
1993 red and white omc made 18, the one you speak of in the picture.
in his avatar,his profile pic,,,quit smoking pot :wink:

ya i think its ****ty that you make a deal and the boat gets sold for a hundred dollars more...where is his integrity??

You say that like there is something wrong with smoking pot....:angel:
I like having a bad short term memory.... Wait that was I just thinking?...

dsparis
02-26-2011, 06:18 PM
I smell a http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcpwudCVRpoLFocJk0_nhC1_q6EQ1Vb XOPHVP_C_OQkjNKCPazJA (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fohn.net/skunk-pictures-facts/skunk-images/Skunk-in-Grass.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fohn.net/skunk-pictures-facts/&usg=__jfB-1_XFwNQ8DPNHb9Rd9Bt2Sbs=&h=375&w=500&sz=27&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=OhmMqYTGAPwziM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=159&ei=F5hpTaTUFIWclgeWv_SBAg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dskunk%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26b iw%3D1016%26bih%3D570%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=118&vpy=106&dur=2784&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=206&ty=5&oei=F5hpTaTUFIWclgeWv_SBAg&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0)

DAULEY
02-26-2011, 07:16 PM
you will find a better boat to suit your needs
i think the prices will go up with the gas prices because the guy that have boats that drink 500 to 1000 a day in fuel will be buying

John C in PA
02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
I smell a http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcpwudCVRpoLFocJk0_nhC1_q6EQ1Vb XOPHVP_C_OQkjNKCPazJA (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fohn.net/skunk-pictures-facts/skunk-images/Skunk-in-Grass.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fohn.net/skunk-pictures-facts/&usg=__jfB-1_XFwNQ8DPNHb9Rd9Bt2Sbs=&h=375&w=500&sz=27&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=OhmMqYTGAPwziM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=159&ei=F5hpTaTUFIWclgeWv_SBAg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dskunk%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26b iw%3D1016%26bih%3D570%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=118&vpy=106&dur=2784&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=206&ty=5&oei=F5hpTaTUFIWclgeWv_SBAg&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0)

Maybe I'm starting to also. I asked the OP last night to reveal the sellers name (since there was starting to be some negative posts about DoziChris). The OP agreed but here it is 14 hours later and we still don't know who "someone from this forum named Chris who lives in Michigan" is. Hmmmmmm. If someone who posts on this board is lacking the integrity to fess up I think we should know who it is for future sales.

John C

cmickey55
02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
I can guarentee you I did NOT buy the boat from "Donzi Chris". John M.

cmickey55
02-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Even if I cant spell "guarantee", I can still tell the truth.
And yes, I do smoke a little pot. It helps keep me focused. I'm just a friendly old hippie, diden't mean to step on anyones toes.
John.

DonziChris
02-27-2011, 02:11 PM
John c, Just to clear some things up about the sale that newbee posted about. I was in no way involved in this sale. I was as suprised as anyone to hear that there is another Chris from Michigan on this site. I just wanted to let newbee know that there are two sides to every transaction. I have found there to be less than truthfull people on both sides, including both the sellers and buyers. I have seen many people that I felt were honest and truthfull leave this site, because of what has been said here. I come on this site almost every day to see what is going on. But usually don't post so that this does not happen to me. I am sorry that I posted what I felt was the truth in regards to this transaction.

Thanks Chris

Carl C
02-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Chris is a common name. There are two Carl C's in Michigan to. The other is Carl Chase. I'm not sure if he posts here but he has a Donzi and his name comes up. If DonziChris says it wasn't him that's good enough for me......

John C in PA
02-27-2011, 02:57 PM
I hate it when I write a long reply that won't start or continue anymore Bravo Sierra on the string, then accidently erase it. Oh well, I stuck my nose in this (by PM'ing Donzinewbee) so I'll continue as I'm starting to smell a
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRV37nFrxlAmhc4yy1t-SIvneSRBc2moYUBcy8a6lbpu0hlYDxWP6BuDXw (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://get-rid-of-pests.com/wp-content/uploads/rat1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.get-rid-of-pests.com/rat-repellent/&usg=__0SfPNefPapEgqSQbPydlTZnGFl8=&h=357&w=400&sz=15&hl=en&start=1&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=yHp6QH1azqIAwM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drat%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch: 1&ei=n69qTcjnJ4O0lQegreGBAg)

Donzinewbee: you told me last night in a PM that you would reveal the seller. Well? If he's a regular on this board I want to know who I should NOT be dealing with. What are you waiting for? It seems pretty obvious the seller isn't going to out himself.

John Miller: I hope you got a nice boat. Whether or not the "changed conditions (start it up upon delivery)" were the sellers REAL reason for backing out had he had an obligation as a man to talk to the OP before canceling the sale. You expressed that DonziChris isn't the seller. OK, your turn. Who is the seller? BTW: a little grass got me thru kollege in only 6 years for my 4 year degree :wink:

DonziChris: I don't know you from a stick in the woods but you are the only one to stand up for yourself.

John C

Donziweasel
02-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Everyone calm down. DonziChris said he was not the seller. It is pretty obvious at this point he is indeed not the seller.

Seen stuff like this happen before. Boats sold unseen and not as promised, sellers backing out on deals due to better offer, someone buying a boat out from another member, etc... It happens and will continue to happen.

I would like to hear the sellers side of things, but something tells me we will never hear it.

Tony
02-27-2011, 04:47 PM
I boated with a Chris up in the Les Cheneaux Islands (Michigan) about 10 years ago. He had an 18 but it wasn't red, plus he didn't seem like the type of guy who would do anything underhanded.

The Cedarville/Hessel area is a great area, by the way, to boat in...but it is helpful to have a local to guide you around. Neat history behind some of the camps and homes.

:beer:

LuauLounge
02-27-2011, 06:36 PM
I put an ad on Craigslist, wanted to buy Donzi in June of 2009.
Got one legit response, I bought the boat, it was a 1998 22Zx, with a 496HO, looked right off the showroom floor. He wanted to sell it and was going to take it down to the local broker, I bought it for what he figured he would get out of it. Got a good deal, he said it had about 75 hours on the engine, it had 120, of which 10 were over 3000 rpm. I'm a happy camper.

ralph crocker
02-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Stuff happens all the time. I am 30 years sober don't smoke but I prefer pot heads. They don't beat their wives but also don;t take out the garbage. Suggest you change your thoughts on obtaing. Nothing is sold til all $$$ in your hands and nothing is bought til YOU HAVE IT/ LOL These are tough times and everyone watching out for themselves.

cmickey55
02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
(Originally Posted by John C: "I hate it when I write a long reply that won't start or continue anymore Bravo Sierra on the string, then accidently erase it. Oh well, I stuck my nose in this (by PM'ing Donzinewbee) so I'll continue as I'm starting to smell a

Donzinewbee: you told me last night in a PM that you would reveal the seller. Well? If he's a regular on this board I want to know who I should NOT be dealing with. What are you waiting for? It seems pretty obvious the seller isn't going to out himself.

John Miller: I hope you got a nice boat. Whether or not the "changed conditions (start it up upon delivery)" were the sellers REAL reason for backing out had he had an obligation as a man to talk to the OP before canceling the sale. You expressed that DonziChris isn't the seller. OK, your turn. Who is the seller? BTW: a little grass got me thru kollege in only 6 years for my 4 year degree

DonziChris: I don't know you from a stick in the woods but you are the only one to stand up for yourself.

John C

TO JOHN C: It only took you six years, not bad. After 3yrs I gave up and got a civil service job. I am now happily retired.

The seller's name was Chris Armstrong, from Cadillac, MI. I am telling you this because I believe he could successfully defend himself and is probably not replying because he is busy moving to FL. He was 100% straight and honest with me from the get-go; and I would gladly deal with him again.

BTW do ya grow your own? John M.

Donzinewbee
02-27-2011, 08:17 PM
That's correct. Chris Armstrong. I hadn't replied yet because I wanted to take a break from all this. I'm sorry if people got caught in the cross fires. Obviously this boat wasn't for me. I'll keep looking. I be the bigger man and hope the best for everyone on this underhanded sneaky deal.

DonziChris
02-27-2011, 08:45 PM
John Miller/mickey55, Thanks for being honest, and letting people know that the seller was a Chris Armstrong from Cadillac, Mi. It's nice to know that there are still some honest people out there.

To Donzinewbee I sincerely hope that you find the Donzi you are looking for. There are some great deals out there. Keep looking.

Now let's go enjoy are boats.

Chris from Grosse Pointe Woods, Mi

Carl C
02-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Donzinewbie, you weren't out of line by asking to hear the engine run on delivery but by doing so you left yourself a way out. How could the seller be sure, after towing the boat from Michigan to Florida, that you would not hear some imagined engine noise and offer less money? If you wanted this boat you should have hit the road immediately to pick it up even if you had to borrow or rent a tow vehicle. No deal is a done deal until the money and item have swapped hands. The seller was able to sell the boat locally and eliminate any possible hassles and he promptly returned your money and did so. I don't think his name should be tarnished over this deal that fell through. JMO. Good luck in your search for a boat.

Buddyc
02-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Well said Carl.
You can tell spring is getting close, Were beating this thing to death...:bonk: Lets go outside and uncover our boats...Who is ready for boating season?

DAULEY
02-28-2011, 09:42 AM
well said carl.
You can tell spring is getting close, were beating this thing to death...:bonk: Lets go outside and uncover our boats...who is ready for boating season?

2 boats full of fuel and waiting on the ice to melt think spring

Marlin275
02-28-2011, 10:03 AM
DAULEY

Best condition X-18 I have seen!

Looks brand NEW!

jstrahn
02-28-2011, 10:18 AM
DAULEY
Best condition X-18 I have seen!
Looks brand NEW!

Pretty sure it's for sale. Buy it! I'll bet he'll even let you hear the engine run before you hand over the money, no probs. :)

Marlin275
02-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Pretty sure it's for sale. Buy it! I'll bet he'll even let you hear the engine run before you hand over the money, no probs. :)

Love the one I'm with . . .

roadtrip se
02-28-2011, 12:01 PM
A couple of years back, I did some performance boat brokering on the side, here and elsewhere.

Most of my deals involved buyers and sellers that were typically long distances apart.

My flat fee for services were negotiated up front and paid by the seller at the completion of a successful sale. I also served as an escrow agent, collecting 10-15% as a minimum to be held until title transfer was complete.

One thing I always did was make sure I had an unbiased assessment of the condition of the vessel, before representing it for sale. If I couldn’t touch the boat, I made sure that I had someone do so that I trusted and had no interest in the sale of the boat.

If a buyer wanted to inspect a boat, he had a reasonable amount of time to do so, say typically ten days. My suggestion was always to tie up the boat with a deposit and then allow the seller to make remedy, should the buyer find issues with the boat. This rarely occurred, as the buyer had a pretty decent idea of the condition of the boat going in beforehand.

I am accusing no one here of this, but my take-away from this experience after doing it for three years, was that I had many more issues with buyers than I did sellers. Almost double the number of instances in fact. Nobody has to have a boat, but a lot of people want a boat. They simply did not know how to negotiate and buy a boat. I will say this, it does help to have a middle party in place to help in the trust factor. If a customer had the means and the desire, we typically were able to put a deal together.

Carl C
02-28-2011, 12:35 PM
You can tell spring is getting close, Lets go outside and uncover our boats...Who is ready for boating season?

No cover needed. Just waiting for some water.

jstrahn
02-28-2011, 01:28 PM
No cover needed. Just waiting for some water.

Love the color matched windshield on your boat.

Also, looks like you built a little extension on the garage solely to fit the Donzi. That rocks! :)

Buddyc
02-28-2011, 06:03 PM
2 boats full of fuel and waiting on the ice to melt think spring

Wow love that X 18. Great colors

Buddyc
02-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Now thats funny!:)

Planetwarmer
03-01-2011, 12:42 AM
When I went to buy my 1st Donzi 22C, the jackass raised the price 1500.00 after I had gone so far as to plan when and where to meet AND had already gotten the loan for THAT boat!!! He knew how excited I was, so his sorry a$$ tried to take advantage of me. It was right here on this forum. I was leaving the next morning to drive 1000 miles to get the boat. At 9:00 the night before, he said he wanted 1500.00 more. I told him to "F" off, and bought the boat that I currently have. It is an identical boat. It came up for sale the day I agreed on the price of the boat that I never bought.

It never crossed my mind to not get a Donzi just because of that guy, I just bought another.

Planetwarmer
03-01-2011, 12:47 AM
In fact, here is the link. Look at the last post where he lowered the price to 15000. He raised the price to 16500 again hours before I left.

I just noticed that the guy that ended selling me his boat, posted on that page saying how he was thinking of selling his. HOW FUNNY!!

Here it is.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51667&highlight=1988+donzi+22+classic+sale

roadtrip se
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
on both sides of the coin. As a broker, I remember the deposits that never came in the mail, the confirmed demo rides and inspections that never showed, and the low-balls that always invariably came.

I also remember the once-in-awhile circumstance where I would raise my asking price, if I had two or more buyers interested in a boat. It's called pricing the boat to the market. It was my role to secure the best price for the seller. BUT, I would never raise a price on someone with a deposit in hand, as that would be bad karma for sure.

All about the people in the transaction. And as long as there are people involved, things could go sideways. Funny thing, I never had a transaction detailed here or elsewhere. Things went pretty well overall. May do it again some day, when I have more time to mess with it, but I guess the point of this and my last post, is that it is no joy being the seller either, and that both sides of the story rarely come to light when a deal gets messy for whatever reason..

zelatore
03-02-2011, 01:00 PM
on both sides of the coin. As a broker, I remember the deposits that never came in the mail, the confirmed demo rides and inspections that never showed, and the low-balls that always invariably came.

yeah, I've got more than a few of those stories myself....

Sometimes I just have to wonder why they take the time and energy. What they heck to they get out of jerking people around and going through all the effort? :bonk:

exzebra
03-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Should be back together next week! Bad deal gone good.

DAULEY
03-11-2011, 11:48 AM
yes and ill even show you how to use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishermanjm
03-11-2011, 02:43 PM
i need to widen and lenghten (not sure about the spelling) my garage,,, i dont ever want my classic outside all winter anymore

Carl C
03-11-2011, 02:55 PM
i need to widen and lenghten (not sure about the spelling) my garage,,, i dont ever want my classic outside all winter anymore

You might be able to build a little nook like I did in post #61. Just build it fast before anyone notices!

f_inscreenname
03-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I agree, there is no fun being a seller at all roadtrip se and zelatore.
On one boat alone I have also had a couple of the members here (one of them is a major player in this fight) call and say they “must have” my boat for sale.
I will never forget one guy wanting to buy it, leave it sit at my house for a number of months and then come down from New England sometime in the future (when he bought a tow vehicle) and pick it up. I got the first phone call early on a Saturday morning (not sure how he got my phone number, never posted it), “I’m afraid it will be gone” and “I have to send you a deposit to hold it” and this was all before getting out of bed. Within the next hour and phone calls later I had him talked down from him wiring the full asking price to me to him sending me a 5% deposit and flying down in 10 days to at least look at what he was buying before he let it sit at my house for the next few months. Make a long story short he wires the money. I don’t go to pick it up for a day (not like I have a CVS in my back pocket) and when I did it was not there. After standing in the store with my claim number for an hour with people looking at me stupid trying to find a transfer that is not there I call the buyer (leaving a voice mail) saying there was a problem. Another day goes by and I get a email, he panicked for some reason and in between my last conversation with him and the next day he canceled the transfer he sent (somehow) and now he cant buy it. Well, thanks for the notice before I went into CVS and tried to scam them out of a non existent/canceled transfer. The best part is I guess they wouldn’t give his money back right away for some reason (maybe there is a waiting period after it had already been sent??) so what’s he do? He contacts Scott and blasts me. I had “ripped him off” and what was “he” going to do about it bla, bla, bla. Next, I’m standing in my driveway talking to Scott on the phone for the first time ever with one hand in a bucket of wet fiberglass working on the race boat and in the other, getting fiberglass all over my kitchen phone trying to explain this whole nightmare.
Then I had another guy that wants to buy it sight unseen in the middle of this past January. Dead of winter. It’s pretty much a done deal and I proceed to put the boat back together (it’s winterized and I keep the interior inside, batttries, stuff like that) cause “he is coming to get it”. It was cold as crap out and I knew I should have held off but it was the only time I had between then and when he was coming. Get it ready to be towed to ….., knock 500 off the asking price to cover the “shipping” cost, there is a movie of the restoration, fully documented along with pictures on ChineWalking.com, I get an email on the third or forth day. “Can you send me more pictures of the interior” ………..I know that was in the movie………what ever and I do so…………. return email, “the wife shot me down. She has her heart set on an 18' classic Donzi and that’s all she wants.”
I don’t remember ever listing my 19' Monza as an 18' Donzi Classic. You would think they would have thought of that before now. :bonk:
More wasted time I will never get back.
But you know sometimes karma’s a bioch.

These sories have at this point made me give up on deposits. Watch the movie, come look at it, take a ride if it's not to cold out and you have cash in hand, take it away if you want it. Besides that it can sit in my yard and look pretty.

Bobby D
03-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Post 69 is that foam I see in the bow starboard side? If it is you may want to remove it before the deck goes back on. Just a suggestion most who spend the time and effort required to replace the tank also take the time while the deck is off and address anything that needs attention while its easy to get at. Good job the tank looks great

gmcars10
03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Everyone has a story and mine is not complete yet as I have not picked up the boat. I saw the '06 22 for sale as someone posted it on this site. I contacted the seller by email and asked if it was still available. I asked him to honestly describe the condition and history. Usually you can get a feel for the way someone replys. I made him an offer and after a day he accepted. I then sent a check and he drafted up a bill of sale. The check arrived one week later as expected but his bank said it would take a month to clear it as it was from Canada (US dollar account). I know from experience that there is not all that much consistancy with banks and do this quite often. It was then that I contacted him by phone. I wired the money instead and he received payment in full. Yesterday I received the check back with void written on it as promissed as well as copies of title and the signed bill of sale. During this time someone else here on the site looked at the boat and gave a very good opinion. I also used google earth and actually looked down the sellers driveway at the address he lives. He always knew for real who he was dealing with. Being secretative when buying or selling is never good. No cell numbers or PO boxes. He could find me, I could find him.
I am leaving April 1st to go down and pick up the boat and am looking forward to the whole trip. I have no reason for second thoughts what so ever.
Now buying a 70 GTO with pictures only from a guy in Oklahoma a few years back........different story !

DonziChris
03-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Good luck, Hope all goes well. All depends on who you are dealing with.
Some deals go smoother than others, sounds like you won't have any problems.

I am in the middle of buying a 26 Sutphen rum runner out of Canada.
Leave next weekend to go see the boat. The person I am buying the boat from seems to be a very straight up person. So far so good. :crossfing:

Greg Guimond
03-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Is the bottom on the Rumrunner 25 degree?

DonziChris
03-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Greg, 26 degree from what I have been told. There is a thread started on oso under, 26 rum runner in the sutphen forum.

bizpoop.com
03-15-2011, 08:54 PM
These are strange times. I bought my '06 22' last summer. Took me over a year of watching the threads, ebay, CL, traderonline, etc. Made offers on boats and missed several times. I knew I was going to have to ACT when my boat came up. For K & G I did yet another search ebay for a 22 as I did sometime 3x/day. Up popped my boat. I jumped in on the bidding and won it in a last second bid by a couple of bucks. Knowing bidders would by going around the process and calling the seller directly and Not wanting it to get away I drove 23 hours round trip to NC to seal it. Point is, if it's a quality boat at a good price, you can guarantee you aren't the only one who wants it. You got to go get it. Be patient. Something good will come up again.